Poll

In this episode, will we get the lovely and mindbending 4,8,15,16,23,42 again? And in what way?

For sure, it's a Hurley episode
10 (47.6%)
They're explained and done with
4 (19%)
No idea, but I hope so...
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Will the Numbers Reemerge?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Will the Numbers Reemerge?
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
I am just a Junkie for those Numbers, so I couldn't help it, whaddayathink?!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Numbers Reemerge?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
no....
yes....
maybe....

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
Well I think we will be seeing the new numbers he won the lottery with. Prepare for outlandish speculation on these new numbers. Talk about a red herring

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
Uh, somebody's been hanging out on the spoiler pages, huh?   ::)  Well, if there are to be any NEW numbers, they wouldn't have any specific meaning.  They would only be meant to once again show the differences (and similarities) in this timeline.  Hurley was meant to hit the lottery even if he never heard the cursed numbers at all.  Please, please everyone, let's not start a mad rush to pick them apart (who do the numbers point to on the wheel?, will there be a new plane crash with all those people on board?, etc.)  There are only a few weeks left and there won't be any new number tangents to investigate, even if we do get new numbers, I'm sure of it.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »
I heard somewhere that he won with different numbers. I figured that made sense since the numbers originated from the island. Is that really a spoiler? Didn't know, my bad. Anyway, yeah can't WAIT for all the speculation about these new numbers. It's going to make me laugh a little bit.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
Anything about the future that is not pure speculation is spoiler.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
Yeah i think I heard it from a friend of mine. Most of the stuff he yammers about is pure speculation. Don't THINK he is a spoiler watcher. He is wrong ALOT.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:19:32 AM »
Numbers?  What numbers?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »
Yeah i think I heard it from a friend of mine. Most of the stuff he yammers about is pure speculation. Don't THINK he is a spoiler watcher. He is wrong ALOT.

Well, in a few more hours, it won't matter if your friend was speculating or if he was spoiling you, we'll all find out for ourselves.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:24:01 PM »
It would be nice, before all is said and done, to find out just who recorded the original radio tower transmission, under what circumstances, and where they got the numbers from.

Which brings me to my latest YAHBTTPWO (Yet Another Half Baked Theory That's Probably Way Off)...

Back when Russo's team washed up on the beach in the 80's, they heard on their radio the original radio tower transmission with The Numbers.  Many folks thought it sounded like Hurley.  I didn't buy it at first, then I sort of did, having listened to it many times now.  But I have to admit that after the Losties left 1977 and they didn't show Hurley recording the numbers, I sort of gave up on the idea - after all, when else would Hurley have the opportunity to record the numbers?  It must have been someone else....

But wait!  What if - if - Candidate Hurley turns out to be Jacob-Elect Hurley?  Could it be that it really was Hurley all along?  I mean, if the origin of the numbers importance come from Jacob and his list, and Jacob is as omnipotent, and potentially time travelling as he seems to be, then could it be that his heir apparent would inherit those powers as well, travel back in time and make the necessary recording? 

Also, if I recall correctly, we were never given any indication that the radio tower was a Dharma station.  So where did it come from if not Dharma, or Richard's crew (who act on behalf of Jacob, or at least believe they are when Smokey isn't tricking them)?  Well, where did the lighthouse come from, or the statue?  These things seem to be Jacob's conjurings more than anything else.  Radio tower therefore perhaps created by Jacob, or even Hurley?

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
It would be nice, before all is said and done, to find out just who recorded the original radio tower transmission, under what circumstances, and where they got the numbers from.

Which brings me to my latest YAHBTTPWO (Yet Another Half Baked Theory That's Probably Way Off)...

Back when Russo's team washed up on the beach in the 80's, they heard on their radio the original radio tower transmission with The Numbers.  Many folks thought it sounded like Hurley.  I didn't buy it at first, then I sort of did, having listened to it many times now.  But I have to admit that after the Losties left 1977 and they didn't show Hurley recording the numbers, I sort of gave up on the idea - after all, when else would Hurley have the opportunity to record the numbers?  It must have been someone else....

But wait!  What if - if - Candidate Hurley turns out to be Jacob-Elect Hurley?  Could it be that it really was Hurley all along?  I mean, if the origin of the numbers importance come from Jacob and his list, and Jacob is as omnipotent, and potentially time travelling as he seems to be, then could it be that his heir apparent would inherit those powers as well, travel back in time and make the necessary recording? 

Also, if I recall correctly, we were never given any indication that the radio tower was a Dharma station.  So where did it come from if not Dharma, or Richard's crew (who act on behalf of Jacob, or at least believe they are when Smokey isn't tricking them)?  Well, where did the lighthouse come from, or the statue?  These things seem to be Jacob's conjurings more than anything else.  Radio tower therefore perhaps created by Jacob, or even Hurley?

Good Theory. I am not sure that Hurls is going to end up being the new Jacob though. But before the series is done we may see some more time traveling which could lead to the recording of the numbers. If not, it may end up being one of those things that never really gets answered. I just got the feeling that the candidates being the 6 numbers is not the entire answer to the numbers question, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

...Happy LOSTing tonight to all...

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
well so far at least one has

42 ?
LoL

Offline imcrazy0088

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 11:09:50 PM »
those effin numbers better reemerge, cuz if they was explained by MIB saying "jacob had a thing for numbers" and thats it, i will be aaannnngry. even angrier than when we learned about the island whispers-- Michael, nonchalantly "ya"

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 11:26:21 PM »
well so far at least one has

42 ?
LoL
Desmond's order! I was cracking up!

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
I don't think it would be much of a leap for us to guess that there will be a new set of Numbers.  I mean, we all have the "inside knowledge" that they're coefficients to the Valenzetti Equation and that the goal was to change them.

I've been trying to notice whether they've been sending us hints of a new set of Numbers for a while now.

- Seems like "316" from the Ajira flight should have something to do with it, so maybe 3 and 16.
- Kates number is 51, so maybe that one.
- 108 for "Wallace", whoever that turns out to be.  (Most people think Jacob was referring to Desmond when he said, "He'll have to find his own way to the Island.")
- When Desmond went into the MRI machine, I jotted down "E1 A37 215 C46 ***" reading over the top of it.
- Tonight, we had Hurley's serving number was 38, but Desmond's was 42.  [Hurley's original number was 8.]
- I remember on that limited series "The Unusuals", Harold Perrineaux [Michael]'s character had an episode where he said was "connected to the number 42" and then by the end of it, it changed to something else but I can't remember what.  Seems like there was a bus number or something that broke the string.  I want to say "37" or something, but I didn't write it down and nobody believed that series or "Life On Mars" could have had any clues in it about LOST.  [I'd be interested if anyone could track down a transcript of that episode.]