Author Topic: Desmond not 'ready' yet?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Desmond not 'ready' yet?
« on: April 08, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
It seems like they are hinting that blowing up the bomb and causing the ATL may have created this 'false' life and so was a bad idea.  Daniel believes he should not have done it (or caused Jack to follow through and do it).  This confuses me because they have been letting Jack emerge as a confident hero who now believes in his destiny, so to go back now and say the bomb was the wrong thing to do brings him back to being a bumbling idiot.  It didn't make sense to me, until I just rewatched Desmond's scene with Eloise.  She told him to stop looking for whatever it is he is looking for because he 'isn't ready yet'.  This gave me another idea.

What if everyone is only being kept in the dark about their true lives temporarily?  Right now, on the island, it's 2007/2008 (They were lost for about three months or so, then the Oceanic six were home for three years before returning, right?).  The MIB is making progress in his escape.  Jacob is dead, he has recruited a small army and is ready to face Widmore.  In the ATL, everyone is still alive and going on with their lives, oblivious to the battle at play.  But it is still only 2004.  So what if Eloise had to let Daniel go back to the island, even knowing he would die, because the bomb was the only way to prevent the 'catastrophic event' that Daniel referred to, which would be MIB's escape.  We already know that the bomb didn't prevent the hatch from being built or keep Dharma from ever finding the island, but it created the alternate reality where all the players are accounted for.  Maybe, when they are 'ready', they will be recruited to return to the island, better prepared to defeat the MIB before he defeats 'them' (from the original timeline) to make his escape.

This raises one more question.  If everyone is still alive in the ATL of 2004, is Jacob also among them?  The island is underwater which would suggest he isn't, but he has travelled to the mainlands before.  Could he also be part of the ATL, awaiting his time to return to the island of the original timeline to defeat the MIB, his own 'loophole', maybe?  Or if he is truly dead and sunk with the island, could that be the reason he needs to be replaced?  Maybe only someone from an alternate reality can replace him and that person would then also be seemingly ageless, becoming truly a new Jacob.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:39:03 PM by lostfan777 »

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond not 'ready' yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
When she said "Because you are not ready" I got the feeling she was talking to us. We won't be ready until Finale night.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
Jack will always be a bumbling idiot to me.  Right now, I see him as another pawn like Locke was.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
It seems like they are hinting that blowing up the bomb and causing the ATL may have created this 'false' life and so was a bad idea.  Daniel believes he should not have done it (or caused Jack to follow through and do it).  This confuses me because they have been letting Jack emerge as a confident hero who now believes in his destiny, so to go back now and say the bomb was the wrong thing to do brings him back to being a bumbling idiot.  It didn't make sense to me, until I just rewatched Desmond's scene with Eloise.  She told him to stop looking for whatever it is he is looking for because he 'isn't ready yet'.  This gave me another idea.

What if everyone is only being kept in the dark about their true lives temporarily?  Right now, on the island, it's 2007/2008 (They were lost for about three months or so, then the Oceanic six were home for three years before returning, right?).  The MIB is making progress in his escape.  Jacob is dead, he has recruited a small army and is ready to face Widmore.  In the ATL, everyone is still alive and going on with their lives, oblivious to the battle at play.  But it is still only 2004.  So what if Eloise had to let Daniel go back to the island, even knowing he would die, because the bomb was the only way to prevent the 'catastrophic event' that Daniel referred to, which would be MIB's escape.  We already know that the bomb didn't prevent the hatch from being built or keep Dharma from ever finding the island, but it created the alternate reality where all the players are accounted for.  Maybe, when they are 'ready', they will be recruited to return to the island, better prepared to defeat the MIB before he defeats 'them' (from the original timeline) to make his escape.

This raises one more question.  If everyone is still alive in the ATL of 2004, is Jacob also among them?  The island is underwater which would suggest he isn't, but he has travelled to the mainlands before.  Could he also be part of the ATL, awaiting his time to return to the island of the original timeline to defeat the MIB, his own 'loophole', maybe?  Or if he is truly dead and sunk with the island, could that be the reason he needs to be replaced?  Maybe only someone from an alternate reality can replace him and that person would then also be seemingly ageless, becoming truly a new Jacob.

#1, Jacob's army does not appear to be against widmore they are against MIB
#2 - It can't be 2004 still as desmond was shot by Ben in 2007, as Widmore explained he was taken from the hospital "After" being shot by Ben.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »

#2 - It can't be 2004 still as desmond was shot by Ben in 2007, as Widmore explained he was taken from the hospital "After" being shot by Ben.

OK, maybe my writing wasn't clear.  I was trying to say:
#1, MIB is making progress because Jacob is dead and MIB's army (not Jacob's army) is ready to face Widmore;
#2, In the ATL, it is still 2004 (they just got off the plane).

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »

#2 - It's 2007 in the regular LOST timeline, but in the Alternate Timeline, it's 2004.