Author Topic: Timeline question  (Read 2147 times)

Offline 00Dawg

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Timeline question
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »
So, now that we have Faraday saying that the change in the timeline could be caused by a nuclear explosion, we're obviously being pointed back to the atomic detonation our Losties caused in the 70's.  I realize there was a bit of discussion on this a few weeks back, but with this new information, I'd like to revive it.
At that time young Benjamin Linus was still on the island, a recent victim of Sayid's own attempt to alter the future.  How does Ben get off in time to eventually serve as schoolteacher-almost-turned-principal?  What about his dad getting off as well?  Was the bomb small enough that they might have survived the damage to the island, escaped from their separate locations and been reunited?  If so, how are they not scarred for life, both physically and mentally?
Is the atomic bomb hint from Farady a red herring?

Offline hefalumps

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »
This is a great question and one I had as well. When Ben dropped the bomb (bad pun) that both he and his father actually HAD gone to the island in the sideways timeline but instead left fairly quickly instead of sticking around, I thought, "Well, I guess this must mean that the sideways reality isn't a result of the bomb, but something else." Otherwise, like you said, if the timeline had diverged from the exact point of the explosion in 1977, Ben and Roger would still be there.

But now Faraday seems to indicate that the bomb was the likely catalyst. So how does this work?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the bomb didn't explode in 1977. Maybe whereever Juliet was at the bottom of that hole was in a different time altogether.

This is one of the questions I'm looking forward to seeing answered most. I want to know exactly what the bomb did and when exactly the sideways reality "diverged".

Offline cablecopulate

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
Since we know that in Lost, the bomb + the electromagnetic pocket of energy = time travel, perhaps the shockwave of the bomb ripples in both directions. So the ripple of it can have an effect on the past.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
If Daniel was speaking figuratively, then we still don't know what he really means, I kind of want to go on this line of thinking mainly because then I don't have to wonder about how him setting the bomb off in '77 makes EVERYTHING different.

If he actually means that he really did set off the bomb on the island in the other timeline, then the only thing I can think of to have it make any kind of sense is that maybe setting off the bomb created some kind of temporal ripple that stretched all the way back to when Jacob and MIB's little game or whatever started.

I really kind of hope that it is the former, because then we will get a semi-reasonable explanation that won't make me have a stroke.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »
OH SNAP!! WAIT!! What if, and this is going to be kind of crappy if they do this, but what if Miles was right and setting off the bomb was a mistake, and they go back and don't set off the bomb, and the release of the electroblobbity goo is what causes the...Damn, I thought I was onto something there.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »
Well, you might still be onto something there.  The Incident could either be the Jughead detonation (resulting in one timeline), or it could be the release of the built-up electromagnetic energy that the button-pushing was supposed to prevent (resulting in the other timeline.)  They both sound pretty bad to me (and actually almost like the same thing, in terms of 'dangerous energy being released,' but apparently for some reason they must have different outcomes.)  And maybe there's a third timeline in which neither happens at all.

I think it's pretty clear that we don't have a case of everything being the same right up until the point of The Incident, at which point the timelines diverge.  Clearly the "ripple effect" (for lack of a better term) does go backwards as well, or, as you say, Ben and his Dad would've been toast on the island.