Author Topic: Original vs Alt timeline - what will they choose?  (Read 6692 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Original vs Alt timeline - what will they choose?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
You say it is a fake timeline, according to me the created timeline is the crastimeline. Not fake, but manipulated.
But both timelines exist and run at the same time and are affecting each other now.
I still hold to the non-crashtimeline being the original one and the crashtimeline the changed one.
What if... said by Daniel doesn't mean anything, it just means what if.

Wow, you might not be alone in your theories, but it's amazing how far apart your thinking is from mine and many others when it comes to the basic facts.  I guess you are just expecting that the writers are building up to this huge "SURPRISE!" where MIB is the hero and the 'new' timeline of this season is their true lives in all his promised glory!  I just don't see it.  From what they've shown us so far, these people are just leading empty shallow lives and the ones that aren't just plain mediocre are just plain bad (bullet in the pregnant belly?).  If they turn things around to make MIB save the world somehow at the end by destroying Jacob and the island, I'll be shocked and I'll come back here to pay you your due respect.  But honestly, we've already seen him have Jacob killed and Widmore is the only thing standing in his way of victory now, so I don't see where the big climax will come from that will end this six-year build up to MIB's glorious freedom!   :-\

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
You say it is a fake timeline, according to me the created timeline is the crastimeline. Not fake, but manipulated.
But both timelines exist and run at the same time and are affecting each other now.
I still hold to the non-crashtimeline being the original one and the crashtimeline the changed one.

Wow, you might not be alone in your theories, but it's amazing how far apart your thinking is from mine and many others when it comes to the basic facts.  I guess you are just expecting that the writers are building up to this huge "SURPRISE!" where MIB is the hero and the 'new' timeline of this season is their true lives in all his promised glory!  I just don't see it.  From what they've shown us so far, these people are just leading empty shallow lives and the ones that aren't just plain mediocre are just plain bad (bullet in the pregnant belly?).  If they turn things around to make MIB save the world somehow at the end by destroying Jacob and the island, I'll be shocked and I'll come back here to pay you your due respect.  But honestly, we've already seen him have Jacob killed and Widmore is the only thing standing in his way of victory now, so I don't see where the big climax will come from that will end this six-year build up to MIB's glorious freedom!   :-\

::Applause::

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've tried, but no dice. I really don't see myself watching Episode 1 again on August 25th on Blu-Ray and thinking to myself, "Wow. This black smoke is really misunderstood. And Awesome. Go Smoke Monster!!"

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »

::Applause::

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've tried, but no dice. I really don't see myself watching Episode 1 again on August 25th on Blu-Ray and thinking to myself, "Wow. This black smoke is really misunderstood. And Awesome. Go Smoke Monster!!"

Thank you!   :)  And you make a good point also.  I plan to go back and watch the whole thing over when it's done.  I'm sure there will be plot points that the writers drifted away from and some of it will seem meaningless once we know the outcome, but I don't think there will be any scenes where we smack ourselves in the head and say "Of course, he was the good guy all along!"  ;D

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
seems like losties have something to complain about in both the timelines ....maybe now they want a third timeline  ::)...they want the cake and eat it too and want another one now  :-\

Good Point! That is probably the point of the whole show. Life isn't perfect!

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  One timeline isn't better than the other for every person. There is no perfect world. I said this in another thread, it reminds me of Candide's satire of "the best of all possible worlds."

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
One timeline isn't better than the other for every person. There is no perfect world.

Except the world where you get paid a fortune to live in Hawaii for several years and work on the best show on TV!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:30:21 AM by lostfan777 »

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 03:31:02 AM »
If Desmond X now has a shared consciousness with both timelines, I don't see that he has to convince people that the X timeline "isn't supposed to be".  All he has to do is make sure that people in the X timeline reconnect with the people they are "supposed to" be with.  There's no way to convince Daniel he should "go back" to a reality where both he and Charlotte are dead.  Just make sure they meet and realize they are "meant to" be together.  Then the X timeline can live happily ever after.

He can use his knowledge of the X timeline to convince the people in the original that he's seen the "future" that they will create if they follow through with their sacrifice in the original timeline to go ahead and go through with it.

The problem still remains like with The Incident -- how do you know which action will lead to the outcome that you want to occur?

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
Daniel talked about Charlotte eating chocolate bars and knowing he allready loved her.

Remember right before Charlotte died when she was talking about "I'm not allowed to have chocolate before bedtime?"   We were all speculating she was having a flashback to being a little girl because she said it in this kinda little-girly voice.  But what if she was saying it in a "flirty" voice, and it was a sideways-flash?  Now that we know Daniel knows she likes chocolate bars, I can see him trying to meet her in the side-verse by offering her a chocolate bar.  (When I see that in writing it makes him sound like a pervert, but you know what I mean...)  That would fit with our speculations about Juliet's deathbed "Dutch coffee" ramblings to Sawyer as well...

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 03:57:58 AM »
Daniel talked about Charlotte eating chocolate bars and knowing he allready loved her.

Remember right before Charlotte died when she was talking about "I'm not allowed to have chocolate before bedtime?"   We were all speculating she was having a flashback to being a little girl because she said it in this kinda little-girly voice.  But what if she was saying it in a "flirty" voice, and it was a sideways-flash?  Now that we know Daniel knows she likes chocolate bars, I can see him trying to meet her in the side-verse by offering her a chocolate bar.  (When I see that in writing it makes him sound like a pervert, but you know what I mean...)  That would fit with our speculations about Juliet's deathbed "Dutch coffee" ramblings to Sawyer as well...

She seemed to be flashing through more than one moment.  One when she was a little girl; one when she was talking to someone about her father?; and some other flirty moment, as I recall.  Maybe at least one of those flashes was to a scene we have yet to see in the X timeline.

Can someone post a transcript of Charlotte's death scene?

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »
Can someone post a transcript of Charlotte's death scene?

OK, Her "Death scene" actually takes quite a while. So I'll post all of it, even though there are other sceens with other people between:

DANIEL: Charlotte! Charlotte!
SAWYER: [Looking at Juliet] Juliet...?
JULIET: [Looks up] Huh?
SAWYER: ...you have a little... [touches under his own nose to indicate her nosebleed]
JULIET: You too.
DANIEL: Charlotte! Can you hear me? Charlotte, it's Daniel. Talk to me...
CHARLOTTE: [Regaining consciousness, frantically speaking Korean to Jin] 잘 들어. 데리고 오지 말라고 해. 잘 들어. 데리고 오지 말라고 해. 이 곳은 죽음 뿐이야. [translation: ]
SAWYER: What'd she say?
CHARLOTTE: [To Jin, in English] Don't let them bring her back. No matter what--don't let them bring her back! This place is death!
---
[Charlotte lying on ground, with others surrounding her.]
CHARLOTTE: [In a small, childish voice] Why canít Daddy come with us?
DANIEL: Charlotte, can you hear me?
CHARLOTTE: [Reproachfully, in an adult voice] You know what my mum would say about you marrying an American. [Suddenly confident] I know more about ancient Carthage than Hannibal himself.
SAWYER: What the hell is she talking about?
DANIEL: I have no idea.
LOCKE: Letís go Ė we have to keep moving.
DANIEL: Alright. Somebody help me with Charlotte. Weíre going to have to carry her.
LOCKE: No Ė sheís going to hold us up.
DANIEL: We canít just leave her.
SAWYER: Flashes are getting closer together. Maybe when your nose starts bleeding, youíll realize we gotta get out of Dodge now. Weíll come back for her just as soon as we can.
DANIEL: No. No way. Iím not going to leave her behind.
CHARLOTTE: Let them go without me.
DANIEL: No, Charlotte, no, weíre not going to leave you behind.
[Flash]
SAWYER: Hell!
LOCKE: We have to move, now!
CHARLOTTE: Heís right, go!
DANIEL: Charlotte...
CHARLOTTE: Just go!
DANIEL: Charlotte...
CHARLOTTE: Oh, oh turn it up! I love Geronimo Jackson.
JULIET: [gently] Weíre running out of time, Dan.
DANIEL: Go. Iím going to stay with her.
SAWYER: Let me ask you something, John. If we donít even know when the hell we are, what happens if the Orchid ainít around anymore?
CHARLOTTE: [In a knowing, clear voice] Look for the well. Youíll find it at the well.
SAWYER: [puzzled] Iíll be sure and do that.
LOCKE: Letís go.
---
[Charlotte and Daniel, by the stream]
CHARLOTTE: [Coughing] Daniel?
DANIEL: Yes?
CHARLOTTE: Iíve been here before.
DANIEL: Youíve been...been here before?
CHARLOTTE: I grew up here...on the island. And there was this thing...this... DHARMA Initiative. And then...I moved away with my mum. Just my mum...and...I never saw my dad again. And then when I got back to England, I would...I would...ask my mum about this place, yeah? But she would say that it wasnít real...and that Iíd made it up. Thatís why... I became an anthropologist. To find this island again. Itís what...Iíve been searching for my whole life.
DANIEL: Charlotte...why are you telling me this?
CHARLOTTE: Because I remember something now. When I was little, living here, there was this man... a crazy man, he really scared me. And he told me that I had to leave the island and never ever come back. He told me that if I came back I would die.
DANIEL: Charlotte, I donít understand.
CHARLOTTE: Daniel Ė I think that man was you.
---
[Daniel and Charlotte, by the stream. Charlotte coughs.]
DANIEL: Hold on... hold on... hold on... hold on... stay.... stay... stay with me... stay, okay? You're gonna be fine. Everythingís gonna be okay. Iíve got a plan... I've got a plan. When we were back at the hatch, I talked to Desmond. I told him to find my mother. She can help us, Charlotte, she will help us!
CHARLOTTE: How can your mother help us?
DANIEL: She can! She will...
[Charlotte coughs up blood--Daniel tenderly wipes it away. Charlotte looks up at Daniel.]
CHARLOTTE: Hey, hey. Listen, listen.
DANIEL: Yeah? What?
CHARLOTTE: [In a mischievous, childish voice] I'm not allowed to have chocolate before dinner... mm....
[Charlotte dies.]
DANIEL: [Quietly] Charlotte. Charlotte? Charlotte... No...!
[Daniel quietly weeps over Charlotte's body.]

And then she's finally dead.
From http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/This_Place_Is_Death_transcript