Author Topic: Original vs Alt timeline - what will they choose?  (Read 6701 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Original vs Alt timeline - what will they choose?
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »
It was a very confusing episode, but what I got from it through "plot device reborn-Charlie" and "plot device reborn-Daniel" and "all-knowing Eloise" was that this alternate world is a place where everybody gets to have their (almost) biggest wish come true (Desmond being accepted by Widmore, Nadia alive, Claire raising Aaron (Kate and Claire's wish), Jack's son, Alex alive (Ben's wish), Miles living with dad, Charlotte alive and musician-Faraday, lucky Hurley, Sun and Jin running away together without Sun's affair, etc. (not sure about Sawyer though, maybe Juliet alive and not-killing-fake-Sawyer?). And this seems to point out that the ATL is the result of MIB's promises (he did promise Nadia to Sayid), so as me and some other folks were saying for a couple of weeks now, MIB apparently won the battle, killed Jacob for good, sunk the island and gave everyone a second chance to live out their dreams without Jacob ever interfering.

BUT

Apparently, some people believe that this new reality is PHONEY. Charlie wants to die so he can be in the other timeline with Claire, not knowing that he died there. Desmond seems to want to get back to the timeline where he and Penny have a child, because he feels that the new reality is fake, and probably most of them feel the same. So the show could end by them all meeting (since Desmond will try to bring them together) and merging the two realities back into the original one. But that doesn't make any sense, since most or them are DEAD or MOURNING their dead in this bloody timeline. They would be better off trying to live their best in the ATL (Sawyer finding Juliet, Des marrying Penny and having Charlie, Daniel fulfilling his love for Charlotte etc). So why would they go back, unless it is a necessary sacrifice to, ahem, save the world (cough). Maybe MIB is free in the ATL and the evil starts spreading, and they will stop it, but the whole cork thing makes no sense to me since the world is already a frakked up place.

In conclusion, I think that MIB initially wins, creates the ATL, but memories from the OTL slip into our losties minds and make them want to reject ATL, return to OTL and re-insert the cork, once again trapping Smokey, as Jack/Hurley/Sun/Kate becomes the new Jacob and history loops once again. But I still see no immediate reason to reject ATL, just because "it doesn't feel right". If you had a chance to be with your loved one (after a supposed deal with the devil), wouldn't you chose to? And what would change your mind except for the threat of Armageddon?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Original vs Alt timeline - what will they choose?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
Charly doesn't want the other timeline. He is dead there. He wants Claire.
Daniel doesn't want the other timeline. He is dead there and alife even worse. He wants Charlotte.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
Daniel doesn't want the other timeline. He is dead there and alife even worse. He wants Charlotte.

Doesn't that kind of go against what they were saying this week, though?

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
I don't know the quotes, but I got the impression that Daniel was contemplating switching back to the other reality, and Charlie did try to kill himself in the car with Desmond (or at least he didn't care if he lived or died).

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »
Daniel said What if this wasn't supposed to be our life, what if we had another life and for some reason we changed things.
Than he said he thought he allready set off a nuclear bomb to avoid something catastrophical to happen.
For the rest he talked about Charlotte eating chocolatebars and knowing he allready loved her.
He didn't say he wanted to go to the other timeline. He said he wanted Charlotte.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »
OK, Daniel didn't specifically say that he wants to go back. But Charley does seem to think the ATL is phoney. He doesn't even try to go after Claire, he is obsessed to see the original reality again, and tries to provoke another near-death-experience if not suicide.
It could be that the ALT timeline is not real, just a dream of the masses, like in The Matrix, and the real world is in a really bad shape, eaten by evil, like Jacob said. I would also like to think that MIB is not more evil than Jacob, but it seems to me now that the losties are realising in alt-2004 that their real lives were replaced by a fantasy world, probably as an effect of MIB's intervention.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
Daniel said What if this wasn't supposed to be our life, what if we had another life and for some reason we changed things.
Than he said he thought he allready set off a nuclear bomb to avoid something catastrophical to happen.
For the rest he talked about Charlotte eating chocolatebars and knowing he allready loved her.
He didn't say he wanted to go to the other timeline. He said he wanted Charlotte.

So Charlie says none of this (alt timeline) is real, and Daniel says this wasn't supposed to be their life, and you don't think they would want to make things right?

Reminds me of that great Talking Heads song Once in a Lifetime "And you may tell yourself 'This is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife'"

Offline Tbone67

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »
just to chime in about nothing.. everytime I read ATL in a post I'm thinkin Atlanta. ok, move along - nothing to read here.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »
The thing I don't get is that its not consistent. 

I mean, some of them seem to have their greatest wish come true, at least partially, in the ALT:  Locke has Helen, Ben's Alex is alive, Jack starts to become the father his father never was to him, Sayid's Nadia is alive, Sun is with Jin instead of apart from him, Hurley really is lucky (hey, its always better to win the Lottery with numbers that aren't cursed!).  But Charlie is without Claire, Des is without Penny, Daniel is without Charlotte, Sawyer is without Kate/Juliette, Jack is presumably without Kate/Juliette but then David's mom is still TBD.... 

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
nomteticus, that is an excellent summary of the episode and the conflict in choices the losties have to make

they don't know they're dead in the other timeline

I agree that some of them have no reason to want the alt timeline:
Hurley is happy, lucky and rich;
Jack has a kid and is growing a relationship with him;
Locke has things going well

I see no way to convince them that the other life is a better one.
That's why I look foward to next week's episode :)

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 01:23:44 AM »
I am with you on this, but differ when it comes to MIB. It is not MIB that creates a life for them. It is the Island destroyed that created this other universe..I do believe that it is Eliose and maybe Widmore are "managing it" maybe it's their way of keeping MIB bottled up.. And I am buying then end of what you are saying....The grass is always greener

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:13:52 AM »

But does charlie know that he is dead in the other timeline. All he described was love and happiness

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »
I think if Jack has any choice in choosing, he'll pick the original timeline. That's just my gut instinct. I am thinking that the Alt will start to unravel.
Sun is shot and is pregnant. We have no idea if the baby will make it. I think that will be the key. If Juliet, Ethan or Jack save the baby, I'll be wrong.

I think the Alt  is a sham created by MiB as a vehicle to get his way, but they will all reject it. After a Jack speech (Live together on the island, Die alone in the Alt or some such nonsense).

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »
seems like losties have something to complain about in both the timelines ....maybe now they want a third timeline  ::)...they want the cake and eat it too and want another one now  :-\

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
seems like losties have something to complain about in both the timelines ....maybe now they want a third timeline  ::)...they want the cake and eat it too and want another one now  :-\

Good Point! That is probably the point of the whole show. Life isn't perfect!