Author Topic: Desmond is the MAN-ifesto!!!!  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Desmond is the MAN-ifesto!!!!
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »
Now that we have seen Des jump consciousness again, like during the hatch blast, he seems to have some clarity on the Island and in the sideverse.

He asks George the limo driver (who by the way can get anything in the universe, no problem!) for the Oceanic Flight 815 manifest. What does he plan on doing with it? with everybody? will this revolt against Eloise "Widmore" wishes of "Des, you're not ready" go awry or prove to be the catalyst that brings them all back to their destiny with the Island?

any thoughts?

Purpose/Destiny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_HupY6pkk&feature=related
[thought this may be appreciated in the thread]

oh yeah, this to me helps sum up Desmond's character and why I love him so much (another Matrix clip) but instead of Neo, think about good ole' Dez...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YC7TMi0l68&feature=related

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond is the MAN-ifesto!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »
It didn't seem to me that Desmond had any kind of clarity at all on the island. I mean Widmore never even explains what he wants Desmond to do, and Des just agrees to help him. Then Sayid kung fu's his way out of the jungle and tells Desmond that these people are dangerous, and he needs to go with him, and Des just says yeah. He seems very zombie to me. At least ON the island anyway.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »
It didn't seem to me that Desmond had any kind of clarity at all on the island. I mean Widmore never even explains what he wants Desmond to do, and Des just agrees to help him. Then Sayid kung fu's his way out of the jungle and tells Desmond that these people are dangerous, and he needs to go with him, and Des just says yeah. He seems very zombie to me. At least ON the island anyway.

I don't know if he is so much a zombie as he is just going along with his fate. He's been through this dance before, trying to save Charlie etc. He may just believe that resisiting his path is pointless and the universe will course correct anyways, so he's just going with the flow to get back with Penny.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »

I don't know if he is so much a zombie as he is just going along with his fate. He's been through this dance before, trying to save Charlie etc. He may just believe that resisiting his path is pointless and the universe will course correct anyways, so he's just going with the flow to get back with Penny.

sort of what I'm saying. you're saying that anyone who comes along and tells Desmond to go with them he'll go because it's his fate/destiny and he doesn't want to fight it. I'm saying that he will go with whoever  because he doesn't know any better at the moment.

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »

That is what it seemed to me too. As if he was going along with Sayid, b/c anything else is futile, he is not fighting the course of his destiny anymore.

Oh and btw, did anyone else notice that Sayid let Zoe run away, strange?! A cold-soulless killer just made a gesture, something is fishy...
And, I wasn't sure if Des really trusted Sayid when going with him, he just knew that he is doing what he needs to do...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »

sort of what I'm saying. you're saying that anyone who comes along and tells Desmond to go with them he'll go because it's his fate/destiny and he doesn't want to fight it. I'm saying that he will go with whoever  because he doesn't know any better at the moment.

OK, I think I understand. But when you say, "he doesn't know any better" do you mean he is kind of lobotomized (for lack of a better word)? Like if someone said, "He Des, wanna get punched in the face?" He'd reply, "Dah, OK."  Or do you mean it more like he has no idea what his path is, just that he needs to walk it?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »
I was thinking that whatever happens to Des on the island won't stop him from doing what he has to in the alternate timeline, so he's just going along with anything. Like, even if he dies on the island, he can skip back to the alternate timeline and still make things right. ??? Although he did seem zombie-ish, and I first thought that they had accidentally killed him in their Prestige-type Tesla box, and was immediately claimed by MiB...

And yeah, him letting Zoey go was straaaaaange.  :-\

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »
I agree that Desmond seemed kinda zombie-ish.  I posted somewhere else that that loopy grin of his reminded me of some cartoon character right after they've been bashed on the head with an anvil -- like you'd expect to see little cartoon birdies tweeting around his head or something. 

I suppose it could be explained away by him having finally realized that he can't fight his fate;  his fate is just to go along with whatever presents itself to him, until he gets to "the moment."  Presumably he will know what that moment is when it arrives...

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
I've been thinking that he seems like he knows what he has to do and is determined to do it... If he succeeds he'll have both the love of Penny and the respect and love of his father-in-law. However surprising it was to us and Widmore's goons that Sayid jumped out of the jungle, Desmond knows that was supposed to happen and how this is where he has to go to achieve his end game. Plus he's a little punch drunk from the whole electric donut experience. This is just speculation, of course. I generally don't theorize but this time I just have a feeling.

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »

OK, I think I understand. But when you say, "he doesn't know any better" do you mean he is kind of lobotomized (for lack of a better word)? Like if someone said, "He Des, wanna get punched in the face?" He'd reply, "Dah, OK."  Or do you mean it more like he has no idea what his path is, just that he needs to walk it?

Exactly the latter.

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:43:12 PM »
I've been thinking that he seems like he knows what he has to do and is determined to do it... If he succeeds he'll have both the love of Penny and the respect and love of his father-in-law. However surprising it was to us and Widmore's goons that Sayid jumped out of the jungle, Desmond knows that was supposed to happen and how this is where he has to go to achieve his end game. Plus he's a little punch drunk from the whole electric donut experience. This is just speculation, of course. I generally don't theorize but this time I just have a feeling.

Cayley I think you're on point. So theorize away...

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »
I agree that Desmond seemed kinda zombie-ish.  ..
I'm going to strongly disagree with all the zombie, accepting fate theories

I've been thinking that he seems like he knows what he has to do and is determined to do it... If he succeeds he'll have both the love of Penny and the respect and love of his father-in-law. However surprising it was to us and Widmore's goons that Sayid jumped out of the jungle, Desmond knows that was supposed to happen and how this is where he has to go to achieve his end game.

I much more agree with this ^ ^

Desmond is absolutely aware that there is 2 timelines.
He is aware of this on the island and he is aware of this in the alt timeline.

He is aware that in one he has Penny, and in the other he doesn't (well, he just met her)

He knows that Daniel has created this alt timeline.

He knows he has a purpose and that purpose is him and Penny

but I'm not so sure about the "Desmond knows that was supposed to happen"
maybe, maybe not

I thought his smile was similar to Charlie's lack of response when the car crashed into the water. Charlie didn't panic. He just sat there and accepted it because he knew that "life" wasn't real and didn't matter. His real life was with the unknown blonde.

In the same way Desmond's smile was a smile of laughter. He's laughing at Sayid. He's laughing at fate.  Des is thinking, "you can't hurt me. you can't stop me. I will be with Penny in one life or the next. Whatever you do to me doesn't matter. I laugh at your feeble attempts to scare, imtimidate and stop me."

Des is a man with nothing to lose. He laughs at fate.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
I hope you're right, JamesL.  That would be perfect.

It's hard to think of him having nothing to lose, though, when you think that he's just left behind his wife and little boy, and now his father-in-law is strapping him into chairs and sticking him into rooms that shoot potentially lethal stuff at him that just fried a previous occupant, and said FIL starts talking about needing a "sacrifice."  Ugh.  I guess yeah, he does know both timelines.  But still, I'd be scared to death... not "nothing to lose." 

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:51 AM »
I've been thinking that he seems like he knows what he has to do and is determined to do it... If he succeeds he'll have both the love of Penny and the respect and love of his father-in-law. However surprising it was to us and Widmore's goons that Sayid jumped out of the jungle, Desmond knows that was supposed to happen and how this is where he has to go to achieve his end game.

I also agree with this and I'll take it a step further.  The giant Dunkin' Donuts machine showed him that he needs to help Widmore win this battle.  I don't know how much he knows about the MIB, but he knows that whoever sent Sayid is the enemy and he has a newfound purpose that is giving him the courage to face anything.  He has no fear of the enemy because he knows (and has been told numerous times now) that the island isn't done with him yet.  He is willing to do whatever he needs to in order to win the battle and get back to Penny, but why wait for Charles to tell him what to do when Sayid just showed up and offered to take him right to the center of the action!  I'm thinking along these lines mainly bacause of an interview with Henry Ian Cusick where he said something along the lines of Desmond going with Sayid willingly because he knows it will further his mission.  Until I read that, his willingness didn't make sense to me, but now I can see that he's no zombie!

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »

I also agree with this and I'll take it a step further.  The giant Dunkin' Donuts machine showed him that he needs to help Widmore win this battle.  I don't know how much he knows about the MIB, but he knows that whoever sent Sayid is the enemy and he has a newfound purpose that is giving him the courage to face anything.  He has no fear of the enemy because he knows (and has been told numerous times now) that the island isn't done with him yet.  He is willing to do whatever he needs to in order to win the battle and get back to Penny, but why wait for Charles to tell him what to do when Sayid just showed up and offered to take him right to the center of the action!  I'm thinking along these lines mainly bacause of an interview with Henry Ian Cusick where he said something along the lines of Desmond going with Sayid willingly because he knows it will further his mission.  Until I read that, his willingness didn't make sense to me, but now I can see that he's no zombie!

So, this leaves us with Desmond is not a zombie, and he is taking the steps toward his destiny/fate/purpose. Thus his willingness to go with Sayid, it really did seem to me that he knew what he was doing and "consciously" went with him...

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what he plans on doing with the Oceanic Flight 815 Manifesto? Bring them together, he just wanted names? For what? How?
:o :o :o