Author Topic: Scale painting in Widmore's office  (Read 2607 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Scale painting in Widmore's office
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »
Am I reading too much into it, or did Widmore's scale painting tilt slightly to the dark side?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Scale painting in Widmore's office
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
Ever the slightest bit. May be reading a bit too much into it. I think the pertinent info is the fact that he had the same painting on opposite sides of the room, one in a white frame, and one in a black frame.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
Great catch that there were two different paintings -- I was focused on the content of the painting itself and didn't even notice the frames and the different locations.

It's hard to tell if it's the exact same print, or two slightly different paintings of the exact same subject.  It would've been neat if one had had the black stones heavier, and the other had the white stones heavier,  but it looks to me like the black is ever-so-slightly heavier in both.

It kinda gives me the impression that Widmore knows just as much about what's really going on here as Mrs. Widmore.  He's playing it a bit dumber so far, but I think they're both right on top of things...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »
I agree with Mr. Widmore knowing more than letting on. He is stringing Desmond along.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
Ever the slightest bit. May be reading a bit too much into it. I think the pertinent info is the fact that he had the same painting on opposite sides of the room, one in a white frame, and one in a black frame.

Whoa!! Nice pick up. I didn't even notice that. I wonder if the artist is still Claire's baby-daddy.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:51:34 PM »

Whoa!! Nice pick up. I didn't even notice that. I wonder if the artist is still Claire's baby-daddy.

Widmore's office had an interesting symmetry. It appears that he sits at the midpoint between the two paintings.

I'm not saying Widmore hires a Feng Shui consultant, but there is an interesting history and principles.

Feng Shui
This 3,000-year-old Chinese art has been making its way to the western world in the past several years. In the Orient, especially in Hong Kong, no one does anything without first consulting with a Feng Shui practitioner. No land is purchased, no buildings are built and definitely no homes are decorated. Feng Shui is highly valued as an art, a science, and a philosophy. There are three basic principles:
- everything is alive
- everything is interconnected
- everything is changing

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »

I think you mean Thomas and that was on my mind when Desmond walked into that office.
I caught the balance paintings and was ah ha - but who knows in this alternate life.

I have said previously in other ramblings that Ellie and Charles conversation at the hospital were very interesting and having her saying I knew all up to now.

Anyway the painting of balance is more than feng shei it is specific to what the balance in the world needs to be and what their puprose in life must be, at least from my perspective.