Author Topic: Sacrifice / Upcoming Electromagnetic event?  (Read 4780 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Sacrifice / Upcoming Electromagnetic event?
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:41:08 AM »
So what is the upcoming catastrophic electromagnetic event that Widmore needs Desmond to survive?  Why?  Does it have anything to do with His Royal Smoky-ness?  And what sacrifice does Desmond need to make?  Ishe the only one who can do it because he must first survive some sort of catastrophic EM event?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Sacrifice / Upcoming Electromagnetic event?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:39 AM »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:23:37 AM »
I wonder if he has to go back to the Swan and trigger something crazy again. The sonic fence that Widmore brought may protect people who are inside of it from EM energy but Des will not be inside of it when he sets it off. Speculation of course.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »
It has to be the Donkey Wheel.  They have to return and explain why an "Island" has "corkscrew" holding it in place over a pocket of EM energy.  Turn the corkscrew a little bit and you get spit out in Tunisia.  If it's loose, the Island and your peeps time-jump uncontrollably.  Unscrew it completely and the Island sinks to the bottom of the ocean and you let out El Grande EM release and you "tear a whole in the entire space/time continuum" and end this timeline, reset your peeps to the X timeline but poor Desmond doesn't survive.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
Jin is important to him because he knows where the pockets of energy are.  I was thinking Desmond needs to release the energy again like he did at the swan, which will cause him to jump back in time, where he can convince Daniel NOT to set off Jughead.  The ATL will then never exist and they will be able to continue their true lives.  Maybe the sacrifice will be that Desmond must stay on the island.  I'm just confused because I thought Eloise knowingly let her son return to the island even though he would be killed, so I thought that was what was supposed to happen, but maybe he was supposed to die and Jack wasn't supposed to complete his plans by blowing up the bomb.  I don't know anymore.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Yeah this kind of got me. I don't really know what this sacrifice is going to be. It seems as though Des has a good Idea everthing is going to turn out okay once it goes down though.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »
Jin is important to him because he knows where the pockets of energy are.  I was thinking Desmond needs to release the energy again like he did at the swan, which will cause him to jump back in time, where he can convince Daniel NOT to set off Jughead.  The ATL will then never exist and they will be able to continue their true lives.  Maybe the sacrifice will be that Desmond must stay on the island.  I'm just confused because I thought Eloise knowingly let her son return to the island even though he would be killed, so I thought that was what was supposed to happen, but maybe he was supposed to die and Jack wasn't supposed to complete his plans by blowing up the bomb.  I don't know anymore.
This made me think of Miles' line in "The Incident". I'm paraphrasing here but basically he said something like "Has anyone stopped to think that by setting off the bomb, we'll actually be causing the incident?" I think that was a subtle clue there but I'm not sure what it is. I'm the same as you... I just don't know anymore.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
It has to be the Donkey Wheel.  They have to return and explain why an "Island" has "corkscrew" holding it in place over a pocket of EM energy.  Turn the corkscrew a little bit and you get spit out in Tunisia.  If it's loose, the Island and your peeps time-jump uncontrollably.  Unscrew it completely and the Island sinks to the bottom of the ocean and you let out El Grande EM release and you "tear a whole in the entire space/time continuum" and end this timeline, reset your peeps to the X timeline but poor Desmond doesn't survive.

I like this line of thinking.  I'm just unclear since Ab Aeterno, does the island cork the EM energy, or is the cork more metaphorical for keeping Smokey imprisoned?  Or are Smokey and the EM energy related?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:00:06 PM by MachThree »

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
The only things Desmond has to sacrifice are his family and his life, and I'm leaning toward his family because if he dies, his family probably won't survive, and he just wants them to live.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 06:43:05 PM »
That would be a sacrifice for Widmore too as he keeps saying that he loves his daughter.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
Unless he expects Desmond to have to die or remain on the island, leaving Penny and baby Charlie to live on without him.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »

My god, that's brilliant. I think I just had a Lostgasm sitting here at my desk!

[mental cigarette, 'cause I quit 8 years go]

So let me see if I follow...EM release via Des, Island bye-bye sinking, only the Alt-timeline exists. In the Alt timeline plane doesn't land...MIB doesn't have Locke to simulate or Ben to manipulate into killing Jacob, so he's still screwed and imprisoned..Richard is still young, hot, and motivated....am I getting it right? But it doesn't make sense with the direction they are going in the alt-timeline...i.e., what if this isn't the life we were supposed to live? I still like it though...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
I keep thinking back to the map Tina Fey showed Jin. On it, there were 3 pockets of EM energy. I think we can assume one is the Swan, one is the Orchid, but I have a feeling we are going to be shown the 3rd. We know the Swan is pretty much blocked up. So that leaves the Orchid or a 3rd unknown one. It could definitely be the Orchid, but it might be kind of cool to see a new one.

I do really like RM's general theory of releasing the EM energy, but personally I'd like to see a new location.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
I was having a bit of a hard time reconciling this theory with the thought that the alt timeline would be the survivor, given their recent focus on "what if this isn't the life we were supposed to live." But now I think it makes perfect sense. There will be enough of this 'visioning' stuff (the ultimate love) to compel characters to find in the new life what they had in the old and lost. Des found Penny. Charlie dreamt Claire (and he was in a hospital, so maybe he will run into her!); Dan found Charlotte; Then Hurley will find Libby, Sawyer will find Juliette, Jack will find something else to fix...er...maybe Kate? Maybe Ben has already found it - Alex, alive. Sayid has Nadia alive, maybe that's enough...or maybe something bad will happen to her husband and he will be with her (I can only hope). Charles and Eloise have their son...it all works out.

So the original timeline goes away but part of it remains...influencing the characters in Alt timeline to find what they are missing (or, what they lost....LOST!).

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
I was having a bit of a hard time reconciling this theory with the thought that the alt timeline would be the survivor, given their recent focus on "what if this isn't the life we were supposed to live." But now I think it makes perfect sense. There will be enough of this 'visioning' stuff (the ultimate love) to compel characters to find in the new life what they had in the old and lost. Des found Penny. Charlie dreamt Claire (and he was in a hospital, so maybe he will run into her!); Dan found Charlotte; Then Hurley will find Libby, Sawyer will find Juliette, Jack will find something else to fix...er...maybe Kate? Maybe Ben has already found it - Alex, alive. Sayid has Nadia alive, maybe that's enough...or maybe something bad will happen to her husband and he will be with her (I can only hope). Charles and Eloise have their son...it all works out.

So the original timeline goes away but part of it remains...influencing the characters in Alt timeline to find what they are missing (or, what they lost....LOST!).

got chills at the end there. Well done mate