Author Topic: Desmond IS The Constant!  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Desmond IS The Constant!
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
As we've seen in this interwoven web that we call LOST, Desmond Hume has been a catalyst on many fronts.

He was manipulated by Charles Widmore into going on the race that during which Dez crashed onto the Island. Which led him to pushing the button, which led to bringing down Oceanic 815, and brought the Losties, and sent in motion the chain of events that we know as the past 6 seasons. Oh yeah, he is also the significant other of Penny Widmore (Charles W's daughter that he got kicked off the Island by Ben for having an offshore family and child = Penny) plus Pensmond's son is good ole Chuck's grandson, coincidence? I don't think so!

He is connected to Daniel Faraday b/c he's is DF's constant, meaning Eloise (where we saw her involvement in time) and Dan have know about him for some time, meaning Dez is more important than we may think.  I still think he may be number 108 on the lighthouse wheel, but that aside, he did push the button which may or may not have been keeping Smokey at bay, until the hatch blew up and so did the button! Again, the fault of Desmond.

He may be at some point soon become a sacrifice to the Island, but I can assure you that he will save some of the good guys in the process, he always does. He is a great character, one of my favorites on the show and I do believe that his role is about to unfold for good this week...

Eloise and Dez:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxHZBeOCiAM&feature=related

Faraday and Hume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLmbvbxRM_c

plus Widmore's involvement with all of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88k-25FlNCg&feature=related
[perhaps this was right before Chuck snatched up Dez and brought him back to the Island]

and for good measure, Dez and Jack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fHQQZXe88c&feature=related

[2 big characters on LOST, and 2 of the biggest keys in the endgame - I think  ;)]

thoughts?

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond IS The Constant!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
my first thought... I hope he's not destined to be a sacrifice. :(

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
my first thought... I hope he's not destined to be a sacrifice. :(

I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »
Me too  ::)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
"He was manipulated by Charles Widmore into going on the race..."

How so?

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
A little off topic, but....Here's where I fall apart on all the "manipulation" stuff. I too question how Charles "manipulated" Des into the race. I would believe more that he took advantage of a situation, but maybe there is stuff we haven't seen yet (like Charles telling Des, "You can have my daughter over my dead body...or when you win the race, whichever comes first [evil laughter]."

And I am having trouble reconciling Des causing the 815 crash in the context of Jacob "bringing" them to the island. We know (or believe) the plane crashed because Des was late pushing the buttons. But we also have indications that Jacob "brought" these people to the island because they were "candidates." So if he indeed brought flight 815 (and the 'candidates') to the island, was it just a coincidence that Des forgot the buttons and caused the crash? Or did Jacob manipulate that too? Because otherwise wouldn't the plane have just kept going? As far as I know, it wasn't planning on a soft landing on the beach.

Or, is it the reverse - did Jacob know the plane was going to crash (maybe he is godlike and can see all things past and present) and touched the people he knew would be on it when it crashed so that when they did arrive they would be viable candidates? And if he could see that, why not see his own death and prevent it?

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »
I can sure picture Eloise Hawking at the Lamppost station figuring out where the island was going to be and Widmore scheduling the race and planning the race route so that Desmond would have his little date with Destiny.  Also, at this point it seems like Eloise (and thus widmore) would be armed with knowledge from Faraday's journal, so they knew Des would be coming to the island and maybe they just "nudged" him into doing it - I mean its a whole time loop at that point.

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
"He was manipulated by Charles Widmore into going on the race..."

How so?

This is quoted from LostPedia, a pretty trustworthy site.

"Charles Widmore's Sailing Race

Learning that Penny had moved and changed her phone number, he met with Charles Widmore in London to get new contact information for her. Charles relented, giving Desmond Penny's address, confident that Penny would reject Desmond once and for all. Desmond took 2 days leave from the Royal Scots to visit Penny, explaining to her that he needed her new phone number but that he wouldn't call her for eight years. Confused and upset, Penny reluctantly gave Desmond the number. Desmond left Penny's house to return to the Royal Scots smiling contentedly, knowing that in the future he will have made a connection with her, saving his life. ("The Constant")

Desmond managed to reach the rank of a lance-corporal before being dishonorably discharged and serving time in the Southway Garrison military prison for failing to "follow orders". His exact offense is still unknown. At his release, Desmond reclaimed his belongings, including his copy of Charles Dickens's Our Mutual Friend; the book he chose to be the last thing he read before he died, and thus did not check it in prison, to "avoid temptation." ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")

While he was in the Army, Desmond did a six-month detail disarming munitions, a skill he would later have to put into use on the freighter. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 2")

Outside the Garrison, Charles Widmore waited for Desmond's release. Widmore revealed that he had intercepted all of the letters Desmond had sent to Penelope from prison. Widmore then attempted to bribe Desmond into keeping away from his daughter. Widmore felt certain Desmond would agree to the arrangement, since he believed Desmond to be a coward. Desmond, however, declined, and entered himself in a world sailing race sponsored by Widmore in order to prove his worth. ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")

Desmond then traveled to America, where the race was set to begin. He arrived, however, short of money and a sailboat. Desmond met Libby Smith in a café, where she insisted on buying him coffee. During their conversation, Desmond confided in her his shortcomings for joining the race. Libby then surprisingly revealed her ownership of a boat, the Elizabeth, which had belonged to her late husband "David". Upon her insistence, Desmond eventually accepted Libby's offer of the boat, promising to win the race "for love." ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1") "

Perhaps not directly but certainly opportunistic and somewhat manipulative. And if we know anything about LOST at this point, everything is connected...

Al fueled by love, on Desmond's behalf. He is certainly one of the good guys.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »
I agree that once the seed was planted (i.e., Des is in the boat race) someone could have made it very easy for Des to land on the island. But with what we know now (and I say that with the caviat that we may not know everything that transpired!), but there is nothing (yet) that suggests that Charles Widmore manipulated Des into signing up for the boat race.

Now, I'm not suggesting that NO ONE was manipulating Desmond into joining the race and getting onto the island...but not sure it was Charles, and it might have just been an opportunistic moment (by the way, if Charles DID manipulate Des into joining the race and then manipulated the course of the race, why didn't he just go to the island himself??? We know he had been looking for it...).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:45:19 PM by thebeann »

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »
I agree that once the seed was planted (i.e., Des is in the boat race) someone could have made it very easy for Des to land on the island. But with what we know now (and I say that with the caviat that we may not know everything that transpired!), but there is nothing (yet) that suggests that Charles Widmore manipulated Des into signing up for the boat race.

Now, I'm not suggesting that NO ONE was manipulating Desmond into joining the race and getting onto the island...but not sure it was Charles, and it might have just been an opportunistic moment (by the way, if Charles DID manipulate Des into joining the race and then manipulated the course of the race, why didn't he just go to the island himself??? We know he had been looking for it...).
Maybe Widmore knew it was in Desmond's destiny to arive on the island and he needed to make sure that he got there.  Desmond is going to play a critical role on the island and Widmore knew it all along.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

Maybe Widmore knew it was in Desmond's destiny to arive on the island and he needed to make sure that he got there.  Desmond is going to play a critical role on the island and Widmore knew it all along.

That doesn't make sense in the context of the whole "Widmore trying to find the island" theme. If he was trying to find the island all this time then he wouldn't know the location...erego, he could not manipulate the course to put Des near the island.

We may find out tonight! And maybe before the finale Libby will make an appearance and shed some light...I do think it was too much of a coincidence for her to just happen to be there to offer Des her boat. Maybe she is one of Jacob's minions and helped to 'manipulate' the candidates (we do know she was at Hurley's mental institution...hmmm!)

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 06:02:54 PM »

That doesn't make sense in the context of the whole "Widmore trying to find the island" theme. If he was trying to find the island all this time then he wouldn't know the location...erego, he could not manipulate the course to put Des near the island.

We may find out tonight! And maybe before the finale Libby will make an appearance and shed some light...I do think it was too much of a coincidence for her to just happen to be there to offer Des her boat. Maybe she is one of Jacob's minions and helped to 'manipulate' the candidates (we do know she was at Hurley's mental institution...hmmm!)
I think Widmore knew that if he sent Desmond out in the middle of the ocean, the island would find him.  If Widmore came along, maybe the island wouldn't come.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »

I think Widmore knew that if he sent Desmond out in the middle of the ocean, the island would find him.  If Widmore came along, maybe the island wouldn't come.

Now THAT I would believe!

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »

Exactly! Destiny Found!!!

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:35:06 PM »

And I am having trouble reconciling Des causing the 815 crash in the context of Jacob "bringing" them to the island. We know (or believe) the plane crashed because Des was late pushing the buttons. But we also have indications that Jacob "brought" these people to the island because they were "candidates." So if he indeed brought flight 815 (and the 'candidates') to the island, was it just a coincidence that Des forgot the buttons and caused the crash? Or did Jacob manipulate that too? Because otherwise wouldn't the plane have just kept going? As far as I know, it wasn't planning on a soft landing on the beach.

Or, is it the reverse - did Jacob know the plane was going to crash (maybe he is godlike and can see all things past and present) and touched the people he knew would be on it when it crashed so that when they did arrive they would be viable candidates? And if he could see that, why not see his own death and prevent it?

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

we know the plane was 1000 miles off course when it crashed, and we know desmond failed to push the button, and we also know that jacob said he brought the people to the island.  so how about if jacob was the cause of the plane to be off course?  then the sequence of events occurs which cause des to not push the button and the plane crashes