Author Topic: Do Jacob Or MIB "Hate Technology"?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Do Jacob Or MIB "Hate Technology"?
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
From the episode "The Man Behind The Curtain", when Ben takes Locke to see Jacob in his cabin for the first time, Ben instructs Locke to turn off his flashlight because "Jacob hates technology as much as you do" (or words to that effect). Locke does as told.

Later, when Locke is thinking Ben's BS'ing him about Jacob being in the chair, he starts to leave. When he does, he hears what he assumes is Jacob say "Help me" in almost a whisper. Locke turns around to see who said that, and turns on his flashlight when he does. Then all hell breaks loose in the cabin with everything shaking and flying around, the place going berserk. Locke runs from the cabin frightened, then views the cabin from the outside, and sees that it is actually sitting calimly just as before.

So: with us now finding out more about Jacob and finding out completely about MIB, I gotta ask: is there anything in either of these two character's stories that would make it seem like they "hate technology" to the point of them making the inside of the cabin go bonkers simply from having a flashlight aimed in their direction?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Do Jacob Or MIB "Hate Technology"?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Um, now that you mention it......no.  Can't think of anything.

Offline CrashandCari

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »
I totally forgot about that line.  Hmm not sure what to make of it.  We know that Ben was lying about communicating with Jacob in general so was that a lie?

But then again the Jacob we've seen living in the statue lives a simple life with no technology around him.  Granted there's no electricity in that statue but still lol.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
Ben was lying about Jacob in the cabin, but the s**t still hit the fan, so this is a valid question.  He admitted he was never able to communicate with Jacob (until the scene where he killed him, aaaawkwaaaard!), so it must have been common knowledge (from Richard) that technology was a no no.  So WAS that Jacob in the cabin, or was it MIB?  Maybe they are both anti-technology because they come from a time when you had to make your own bricks instead of heading to Home Depot.  It probably won't play into the final episodes, though.  I think it will be one of those things that the writers will hope we can just overlook. 

Offline Angus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
I personally think it was MIB in the cabin.  There was the ash around the cabin to keep whatever in the cabin.  I only see it necessary to keep one of these two on lock down- MIB.  And we saw later that ash is used to keep Smokie away.

I can think of one reason MIB would not like technology- those subsonic woofer things that the Others and now Widmore set up to keep him out.  Probably makes him weary of all technology.     

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »
If MIB can't stand technology he won't be happy on either an airplane or a sub.  He doesn't like sonic fences, so sonar isn't good for him.  The island's electromagnetic energy might be what binds him to the island.  I hope we get an explanation soon.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:48:34 AM »
The ash at the cabin could have been to keep MIB in, but it seemed kind of understood that the smoke was flying at regular intervals around the island, so I think it was more likely that the ash was to keep him OUT and keep whoever was in the cabin safe.  On the other hand, if jacob was in the cabin, he didn't need to be kept safe from Smokey, so I don't know.  Again, this and the technology question may never be answered.  Would be nice, though if it was.  :-\

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
Just a reminder:

ALEX: Locke.

[Both Ben and Locke turn to see Alex]

ALEX: I hear you're gonna go see Jacob. You're gonna need this.

[She holds out a gun for Locke. Ben looks on with a look of surprise]

LOCKE: [Taking the gun] Thanks.

BEN: We're here.

[Locke shines his flashlight at Ben]

BEN: You'll wanna turn off your flashlight, John.

LOCKE: Why?

BEN: Jacob feels the same way about technology as you do.

[Locke turns the light off and they leave their bags outside. Ben reaches the door and lights a lantern]

BEN: Once I open this door, there's no turning back. You sure this is what you want?

[Locke steps forward and looks at him resolutely]

BEN: So be it. [To the door] Jacob? I'm here with John Locke. We're coming in now.

[Inside Locke looks around the room. Jars stand by the window, a painting of a dog can be seen by the wall. Ben moves over to an empty chair]

BEN: Jacob. This is John. Aren't you going to say hello, John?

LOCKE: What?

BEN: [Looks to the chair] I told you he wouldn't.

LOCKE: Who—what are you talking about?

BEN: You can't see him?

LOCKE: See who?

BEN: Jacob! He's sitting right here, in this chair! [Looks at the chair] Yes, I know, but he insisted.

LOCKE: What is this?

BEN: You wanted the secrets of the Island? Well, here they are. This is the man who can answer every single.... [Stops, pauses while looking at the chair] I am not. He made me bring him here—do you think that that was my—sorry, may I finish?

LOCKE: You're crazy.

BEN: Excuse me?

LOCKE: You don't know anything about the Island, do ya. You just...made it all up.

BEN: [Looks at the chair] Jacob, please, I can't hear him if you're gonna talk over what he's saying—

LOCKE: Stop. Stop. Shut up! You're putting on a show for me? Or do you...do you really think there's someone there?

BEN: I know there's someone there!

LOCKE: You don't know anything.

BEN: I'm sorry you feel that way, John. And I'm sorry that you're too limited to see.

LOCKE: You're pathetic.

[As Locke leaves he hears a voice]

VOICE: Help me.

[Locke turns]

LOCKE: What did you just say?

BEN: I—I didn't say anything.

LOCKE: Oh yes you did. I heard you, [raises the flash-light] you said...

[Suddenly the room takes on a life of its own. Chairs rock, glass smashes, the lantern catches fire and windows shatter]

BEN: [To the chair] That's enough, you've had your fun!

[Ben is thrown back against the wall. For a brief moment, a figure is seen in the chair, followed by a closeup of an eye. Locke runs out of the cabin. Ben walks, shaken, from the cabin a moment later. Pause]

LOCKE: What was that?

BEN: That was Jacob.

I'm wondering: if Ben could not even see Jacob, nonetheless hear him, why didn't Ben freak out when the cabin started going nuts? Instead, he went back to the chair and started talking to "Jacob", even telling him to stop and that "you've had your fun", like he had experienced this before.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »
Exactly my point.  The producers may have had the ending of the story in mind from the beginning (or so they say), but when they had no idea how long it would run, they introduced some plot lines that now do not make sense.  I don't see how they could explain this one and I don't think they are even going to bring it up again.  First Ben acts like he can see and hear Jacob and he doesn't act surprised or scared when chaos ensues, then he later admits (face to face with Jacob himself) that they have never met.  Chalk it up to incontinuity.

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
The ash at the cabin could have been to keep MIB in, but it seemed kind of understood that the smoke was flying at regular intervals around the island, so I think it was more likely that the ash was to keep him OUT and keep whoever was in the cabin safe.  On the other hand, if jacob was in the cabin, he didn't need to be kept safe from Smokey, so I don't know.  Again, this and the technology question may never be answered.  Would be nice, though if it was.  :-\

Mayhaps a third undefined entity we have yet to learn about?? 

edit: maybe he has been defined... maybe thats who/what christian shephard is? 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:30:57 PM by Abaddons Key »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
Exactly my point.  The producers may have had the ending of the story in mind from the beginning (or so they say), but when they had no idea how long it would run, they introduced some plot lines that now do not make sense.  I don't see how they could explain this one and I don't think they are even going to bring it up again.  First Ben acts like he can see and hear Jacob and he doesn't act surprised or scared when chaos ensues, then he later admits (face to face with Jacob himself) that they have never met.  Chalk it up to incontinuity.

I'm hoping that's not the case, but I find myself leaning in your direction on some things unfortunately.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
Abaddons Key, you may have a point there, there are numerous debates about whether MIB was Christian or if it was Jacob instead or both.  Or maybe he was just himself and neither of them.  Certainly if MIB can't cross water as Smokey and can't get off the island, he couldn't have appeared to Michael on the freighter or Jack at the hospital.  So, maybe there is hope for the whole cabin explanation.  While I doubt they'll be introducing someone knew as the inhabitant, if they unveil Christian as having been his own spirit separate from the others, that may open the door for a quick explanation.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
Abaddons Key, you may have a point there, there are numerous debates about whether MIB was Christian or if it was Jacob instead or both.  Or maybe he was just himself and neither of them.  Certainly if MIB can't cross water as Smokey and can't get off the island, he couldn't have appeared to Michael on the freighter or Jack at the hospital.  So, maybe there is hope for the whole cabin explanation.  While I doubt they'll be introducing someone knew as the inhabitant, if they unveil Christian as having been his own spirit separate from the others, that may open the door for a quick explanation.

We'd still have to know why Christian would "hate technology", though lol.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »

What's the guy's name on first?  I don't know.  THIRD BASE!   ???

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »

He would hate it because just like unlocke... he really isn't christian, only his physical form.  The being/entity that may exist as Christian is the one that hates technology.  Who that would be exactly I couldn't begin to guess.  

The more I think about how Dharma refers to smokey as Cerberus really has me thinking that there is a third entity.  This is also supported by Locke when he claims "I've looked into the eye of this island. And what I saw was beautiful."  It wasn't Jacob he saw, Jacob said as much when he said to Richard why should I get involved.  It wasn't smokey cause he's black and disturbing to look upon,  so who/what was it the John actually saw?

quick edit:  Maybe there is more to Ricardo then we know and have been shown to this point.  That certainly would explain how he gets around the island so swiftly.  I could be way off here though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:06:41 PM by Abaddons Key »