Author Topic: Do Jacob Or MIB "Hate Technology"?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline hackgrid

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Do Jacob Or MIB "Hate Technology"?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »
quick edit:  Maybe there is more to Ricardo then we know and have been shown to this point.  That certainly would explain how he gets around the island so swiftly.  I could be way off here though.

Good point. Jacob and MIB seem to live forever, maybe Jacob had to change Richard into one of them allowing him to live eternally.

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
From the episode "The Man Behind The Curtain", when Ben takes Locke to see Jacob in his cabin for the first time, Ben instructs Locke to turn off his flashlight because "Jacob hates technology as much as you do" (or words to that effect). Locke does as told.

Later, when Locke is thinking Ben's BS'ing him about Jacob being in the chair, he starts to leave. When he does, he hears what he assumes is Jacob say "Help me" in almost a whisper. Locke turns around to see who said that, and turns on his flashlight when he does. Then all hell breaks loose in the cabin with everything shaking and flying around, the place going berserk. Locke runs from the cabin frightened, then views the cabin from the outside, and sees that it is actually sitting calimly just as before.

So: with us now finding out more about Jacob and finding out completely about MIB, I gotta ask: is there anything in either of these two character's stories that would make it seem like they "hate technology" to the point of them making the inside of the cabin go bonkers simply from having a flashlight aimed in their direction?

did think  about this when we first saw jacob visiting losties because for a guy who living for hundred of years  like a hermit on the island  he is pretty updated about the real world ...like how he knows to use that machine to give  the apollo bar to jack ....or the way he dresses and where is he getting money to pay for kate's stolen item ....if he was confined to the island he would be ignorant but .....he is in-sync with real world .....he has to be so that he can  go around in real world to meet his candidates ...so i dont think he would be freaking out just becos of torch light

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
another explaination is that whatever went nut in the cabin had nothing to do with the flashlight/torch. it just waiting to whisper to Locke and then go nuts.  Ben's reaction is still mysterious to me, unless he's seen that type of reaction before.

Ben may have mentioned the light thing just to keep it spooky in there to intimidate Locke. I don't think he really thought Locke would be able to hear/see/sense whatever was there.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 03:52:36 AM »
did think  about this when we first saw jacob visiting losties because for a guy who living for hundred of years  like a hermit on the island  he is pretty updated about the real world ...like how he knows to use that machine to give  the apollo bar to jack ....or the way he dresses and where is he getting money to pay for kate's stolen item ....if he was confined to the island he would be ignorant but .....he is in-sync with real world .....he has to be so that he can  go around in real world to meet his candidates ...so i dont think he would be freaking out just becos of torch light

Good point. If it IS either Jacob or MIB that was in the cabin at that time, it would seemingly have to have been MIB, then. From what we can tell he has never left the island (unlike Jacob), so he may not be all that up on the technology of the last few centuries. Then again, Dharma brought quite a bit of technology with them, so you'd think he was at least familiar with whatever technology was on the island. But then again (lol), maybe it's the Dharma technology that has made MIB/Smokie so angry and now he hates ALL technology?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »
If MIB can't stand technology he won't be happy on either an airplane or a sub.  He doesn't like sonic fences, so sonar isn't good for him.  The island's electromagnetic energy might be what binds him to the island.  I hope we get an explanation soon.

Without reading through all I think you summed it up.  But the funny thing is we do not know how Jacob got around to see other folks off the island.  Does he just show up?  I was giving the electromagnetic pockets a thought as I think they hold significance to what is going to happen in the episodes to come for MIB.  Widmore's team is hellbent on this subject enough to get Jin over to explain.

And I think we do know the answer if you think about this because one when Dr. Chang was having the Orchid built, they were drilling and came dangerously close to the donkey wheel.  It caused the nose bleed and the drill was ruined.  So we also know that thirty years later the same site held a chamber to help transport items and we know that Ben destroyed that chamber in order to get to the donkey wheel.

Which is all very interesting because we know Widmore was watching that area in Tunisia, knowing it was an outlet from the island.  So the reality is that if they know where all of these pockets are they can stop folks from leaving through them.  The trouble is that does MIB know about these pockets/loopholes?  Something tells me that MIB is so focused on himself that he misses the forest for the trees.

So back to the question I don't think that Ben's original comment holds much creedence since he couldn't speak to Jacob.  Second he knew that whatever was in there did not like the light per se.  So at the end of the day you could say they do not like the modern torches.  But to "hate" technology.  I think the sonar fences prevent Smokey from entering for whatever physicaly reasons.  Additionally it keeps out other people that the do not want to enter that area. 

Widmore also was very involved with Dharma, if this is n't proving it then I am not sure what else will cause he sure nows what needs to be done to get things where he wantes them.  now with that said if he believes that MIB was a compilation of stories and camp fire tales, well is he really there for a war with MIB?