Author Topic: The Pala Ferry?  (Read 9603 times)

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
The Pala Ferry?
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:50:34 PM »
At the end of the Pearl Orientation Video, they mentioned a ferry that takes people to the barracks.  I mentioned in another post a reminder that in Danielle's maps, there appear to be neighboring islands nearby.

Now, I find this interesting connection.  Someone mentioned that in closed captions, the name of the ferry is spelt Pala.  It rung a bell when I first heard it. I looked it up, and yes... Pala is a city in East Timor, an island in the Pacific, not far from Australia. But to me, if you look at the map..that's just a little too close for comfort than the isolation zone ("middle of nowhere") the island seems to be in... if they were truly that close to Pala, you'd think there were planes flying overhead.  It is, however, a strange find...

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/TT/0/Pala.html

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:38:29 PM by PandoraX »

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: The Pala Ferry?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:39:02 PM »
Interesting, this might be worthy of an investigation.

Offline mickeywawa

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »
Might it also be Palau?  It's not as spelled in the CC text, but perhaps that's on purpose (the Orientation video was garbled there too)?  Palau would be a little closer to the area the plane might have crashed.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:10:38 AM »
Yeah mickey, I agree that this is another possibility.... and closer in geographic locale.  Only issue with that is that Palau is pronounced pull-OW... pretty different from what I heard (pa-la).  Otherwise, I like that idea better location-wise.

Offline jordangr7

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:17:44 AM »
knowing lost, i doubt something would be said so obviously as that... in addition im not so sure the ferry would take them off the island, could it just be taking them around the island to where the main "camp" is... per say the place where michael supposedly found "them"
and could the ferry be that boat we saw them on in s1 finale>

Offline XT

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »
I agree with Jordangr7, the ferry probably takes them around the island as it's easier to go around the jungle/mountainous terrain then over.

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 05:02:24 PM »
an interesting point of note is that "Pala" seems Northwest of Sydney (if I am wrong, please excuse my geographical incorrectness)... strange for a plane that is to be heading to Los Angeles

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »
an interesting point of note is that "Pala" seems Northwest of Sydney (if I am wrong, please excuse my geographical incorrectness)... strange for a plane that is to be heading to Los Angeles

OLLY:  I think this is one of the points that actually matches well with this location.  As you recall from S1's Pilot, the airline pilot informs us:

6 hours in. Our radio went out, no one could see us. We turned back to land in Fiji, by the time we hit turbulence we were 1000 miles off course. They're looking for us in the wrong place.

Otherwise, I do agree with the rest that the answer would probably be "too easy", and less likely that TPTB would have that many real life locations in this story; but it was an interesting thought.

Offline bobauren

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:48:47 PM »
I have to say, guys, that I didn't hear "pala" or "palau" or any of that.  I heard "Apollo" and I heard him ask them to proceed to the barracks.

Interesting note: Jack & Christian practice at St. Sebastian's (hospital).  St. Sebastian is the patron saint of (among other things) soldiers, archers, and the plague.  He is also considered to be an example of "Apollonian perfection/beauty".

Plus, who can forget the yummy Apollo chocolate???

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »
I rewatched the orientation video with captions on and it clearly says pala ferry. The film warps after Candle/Wickmund says "proceed to the pala ferry which will take you back to __________", that is where the film warps. Now some sites are saying that the blank says the barracks but this is not shown in the captions, it just says {film warps}.

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »
It definately says Pala Ferry and it sure sounds like barracks to me when the film jumps.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 01:18:31 PM »
I posted this in the "dock" thread but I think that it is better suited to this thread

Something kind of interesting
I looked up Pala through MSN encyclopidia and it gave me Pala Dynasty
So I looked it up on wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pala_dynasty

and this just kind of popped out at me

Dharmapala (770-781)   the second ruler of the empire

Maybe it is something maybe it is nothing

Offline jordangr7

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 09:18:15 PM »
good find...i dont think u can assume anything is by coincidence on this show

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 02:44:43 AM »
I will try to find out more about the pala dynasty 
maybe thier kings all had 4 toes
some kind of genitic trait that gave tem a birth right to rule 

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 08:52:18 AM »
good find...i dont think u can assume anything is by coincidence on this show

Or maybe the writers googled Dharma and found that to use :) It is a nice find though.