Author Topic: Candidate transition to position  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Candidate transition to position
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:30:10 PM »
I am not sure if this has been asked yet, but when is Jacob going to get replaced? I know Illana said that you will know if you are the one, but shouldn't that happen soon. Does the "chosen one" have to accept the responsibility before they actually become the new protector of island? I just thought in order to keep MIB on the island it would need to happen soon. I realize answers will only be theories, but just wondering what other people thought about this.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Candidate transition to position
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
My thoughts:

The first couple episodes where we find out about the candidates were to in part explain the last 5 seasons.  We know who Jacob is, what role he plays, and why it was that the numbers and the Losties were so important. 

These episodes that we are moving into now have moved beyond the importance of a candidate.  We are now into the WAR of the island.  I feel that the candidate story is closing and now it's onto MIB.

The island won't need a candidate to replace Jacob if MIB is stopped and dealt with.  I believe that we will see the ending of "it only ends once."  Though I like the idea in a way of Jack and Locke sitting on the beach in the final scene it won't answer the big questions for me.  So...it's all a loop?  It's going to repeat no matter what you do?  It doesn't fill me up, I guess.  I want to see the ending, the finality of the time loop.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
Good question. My take is that it's kind of like Neo in the first Matrix. He was "The One" the whole time, but he had to grow into his position first. There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. So, if say Jack is the replacement, he seems to be walking the path to that position even though he doesn't know the path.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm wondering how it is decided who the "winner" is.  Who decides?  What is the determining factor?  Does it just come to them in a dream?  Is there an election?  What is the next step in the process?  They all know now that they are candidates, so now what?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »
I'm wondering how it is decided who the "winner" is.  Who decides?  What is the determining factor?  Does it just come to them in a dream?  Is there an election?  What is the next step in the process?  They all know now that they are candidates, so now what?

The finale will be counting chads in Florida.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
I am not sure if this has been asked yet, but when is Jacob going to get replaced?...
if you go by episode names, then maybe in 5 episodes ? Quote this in the reply to see episode names

The Package Happily Ever After Everybody Loves Hugo The Last Recruit The Candidate Across the Sea What They Died For The End (Series Finale)

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
I am not sure if this has been asked yet, but when is Jacob going to get replaced?...
if you go by episode names, then maybe in 5 episodes ? Quote this in the reply to see episode names

The Package Happily Ever After Everybody Loves Hugo The Last Recruit The Candidate Across the Sea What They Died For The End (Series Finale)

Oh crap!  I hadn't seen those last episode titles yet and now I just teared up.  I'm going to miss this show!  :'(