Author Topic: Richard  (Read 1742 times)

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Richard
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »
I don't recall Richard ever being on Hydra Island.  It was a Dharma Station, which he was no part of.

What if...... Richard thinks he just doesn't age, but what if he only doesn't age as long as he stays on Crap Hole Island.  So they get in an out rigger and head over..... only to have Richard do like evil Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and ages rapidly, dies and turns to dust before their eyes!

Offline shadow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
Huh? Richard has been shown off-island several times ("Not in Portland", visits to Locke, etc).

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
oh, yeah....  never mind.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
I don't recall Richard ever being on Hydra Island.  It was a Dharma Station, which he was no part of.

What if...... Richard thinks he just doesn't age, but what if he only doesn't age as long as he stays on Crap Hole Island.  So they get in an out rigger and head over..... only to have Richard do like evil Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and ages rapidly, dies and turns to dust before their eyes!

I think you might be onto something, because when he was off the island in "One of Us", Ben made a point to say "You'll want to get back here as soon as you can." Which always struck me as odd. I don't know about the whole rapid aging thing, but I do think there is something up with that.

Offline Bradislost09

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
So, How come MIB can't turn into smoke and fly to Hydra island?  Didn't he appear to Echo while he was at a creek?  That was a long time ago.  Seems like they could have built a moat around the temple instead of using an ash trail. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »
So, How come MIB can't turn into smoke and fly to Hydra island?  Didn't he appear to Echo while he was at a creek?  That was a long time ago.  Seems like they could have built a moat around the temple instead of using an ash trail. 

I posted this in another thread...

I've heard several different iterations of evil not being able to cross moving/running water either at all, or without help. I know that the most well known one is probably the Headless Horseman who couldn't cross the bridge in Sleepy Hollow. That myth (or legend, if you prefer) plays into modern literature as well. I just finished reading Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's book "The Strain" and several times they talk about how evil can't cross open bodies of water without the help of a mortal (the book is about vampires, but they reference evil, so I guess take it as you wish). So, my point is this. It seems to me that Smokey is able to cross water if he has help of some kind, but is physically unable to turn into the smoke and just fly away. As it has been stated on here before, if he could do that, he would have. But this also plays into why he wants to get on the plane and fly away. He needs someone to help him (fly the eplane) BECAUSE he can't do it himself. But then again, he did use the out rigger to get BACK to the mainland without Sayid helping him. Hmmmm, weird.

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,10709.msg615528.html#quickreply

I don't know if this helps or whatever, but there you go.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »

I think you might be onto something, because when he was off the island in "One of Us", Ben made a point to say "You'll want to get back here as soon as you can." Which always struck me as odd. I don't know about the whole rapid aging thing, but I do think there is something up with that.
Ah the things I forget!  Knowing what we know now...I'd say it's one of two things. (because I can only think of two)

1. Richard needs the island's powers to keep from aging.  Beyond the perimeter of the island the powers won't affect you.  (oh wait, except Locke was able to walk when he was off island...which brings me to perhaps the better of my two points!)

2. Ben knows he can't talk to Jacob.  He needs Richard to communicate.  And when the shiz goes down Ben wants some helpful advice from Jacob via Richard.  When Ben said that he was pretty much a kid in the dark, and Richard is his little nightlight.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »

This reminded me of Back to the Future II - "Hey McFly, you bojo!  Those boards don't work on water.  You gotta have power!"

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »

This reminded me of Back to the Future II - "Hey McFly, you bojo!  Those boards don't work on water.  You gotta have power!"

Of course!! It's all so simple, all we have to do is figure out why hover boards don't work on water, and we can figure out why Smokey can't just escape the island. BRILLIANT MACH THREE!!! LOL