Author Topic: The Great Tomato Metaphor...  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The Great Tomato Metaphor...
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »
So we saw a scene with Jack consoling Sun on the beach.
Jack says he went back to the garden and while looking for Locke found one perfect tomato although all the vines appeared dead. He says no one told the stubborn tomato that it was supposed to die.

Could this be a metaphor for the candidates that are coming up against MiB? Those that Jacob believes will choose the right way, the noble way, the good and light way.

Jack seems to have a calm about him now, almost a Jacob-like Zen,
And maybe it's staring us "dead" in the face all along. Jack is a nickname for Jacob!!! Coincidence?!  :o :o :o

I still have this eerie feeling that at the end we will be sitting on the beach with Locke and Jack, and Locke saying:

[LOCKE stares at JACK.]

LOCKE: Do you have any idea how badly I wanna kill you?

JACK: Yes.

LOCKE: One of these days, sooner or later... I'm going to find a loophole, my friend.

JACK: Well, when you do, I'll be right here.

LOCKE: Always nice talking to you, Jack.

JACK: Nice talking to you, too.

[LOCKE stands up and walks away. Planted just near and towering above the beach spot where JACK has made his breakfast is the four-toed statue of Taweret.

***poof***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDUtjwoaTY&feature=related

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:12:03 AM by Numbers Junkie »

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Tomato Metaphor...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:12:06 AM »
thats what i thought too ..stubborn tomato is all alive means that this is going to be survival of the fittest ..only the fittest will survive in the end  after the war ...and locke is dead and island is sunk so don't know how the whole jack-locke scene will work   

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
Sometimes a tomato is just a tomato!  ;D

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
Sometimes a tomato is just a tomato!  ;D
Ha ha!  Good one.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
You say to-may-to I say to-mah-to...

Of course there was a time when people believed tomatoes to be poisonous due to its resemblance to nightshade. However, the French used to call them pomme d'amore or "love apples" due to some belief that the seeds were an aphrodesiac.  Which would mean that we have an "apple in the Garden of Eden"....hmmm

Ironically, the friut is edible, but the rest of the plant is poisonous......

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:49:09 AM »
I see the final beach scene as Jack and Sawyer.  Sawyer says "Do you know how much I want to kill you?" 

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
I see the final beach scene as Jack and Sawyer.  Sawyer says "Do you know how much I want to kill you?" 

Totally possible with Jack and Sawyer, would be my plan b. lol.
Was thinking that from the beginning it was Jack (man of science/MoS) and Locke (man of faith/MoF) but that would be the pun, the reverse for eternity...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:35 PM »
I feel that Jack said it in a very hopeful light.  "Even though everything looks like it's falling apart before our eyes, there is some good left standing.  Some hope to cling to." 

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »
Jack seems to have a calm about him now, almost a Jacob-like Zen,
And maybe it's staring us "dead" in the face all along. Jack is a nickname for Jacob!!! Coincidence?!  :o :o :o

First of all, great title.
Second, you bring up a cool point here. It reminds of of something from Star Wars (imagine that). Someone asked George Lucas who is favorite character was in the Star Wars universe. He said it was hard for him to choose, but if he had to, he would pick the one he named after himself, Luke. Up until that moment, I never made the connection, and I think I still have a scar from the forehead slap. Sometimes the truth can be staring at you in the face all along.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »
You say to-may-to I say to-mah-to...

You say to-may-to I say to-mah-to,
You say Ricardus, I say Ricardo...

to-may-to!  to-mah-to!
Ricardus!  Ricardo!
Let's call the whole thing off....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:16:16 PM by MachThree »

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
Actually I thought that Jack was refering to Sun being tenacious and going to survive this entire ordeal.

And sometimes a tomato is just a matatoe!  (my niece called them Matatoes when she was two)
And sometimes a tomato is great on BLT or Grilled cheese

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:19:44 AM »
Actually I thought that Jack was refering to Sun being tenacious and going to survive this entire ordeal.

And sometimes a tomato is just a matatoe!  (my niece called them Matatoes when she was two)

true, but it could be bigger than that. guess we'll see...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »

Oh man!  I didn't even think about the possibility of the parallel to a person!  This will be one of those great scenes to look back on after the finale and go "aaaah!"

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »

Oh man!  I didn't even think about the possibility of the parallel to a person!  This will be one of those great scenes to look back on after the finale and go "aaaah!"

Let's save time and just "aaaaaaaaah!" right now...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »
Well, I think he means Sun cause he was knows she planted those tomotoes (which I just wonder where she found those seeds ::)
But the point is that she is a farmer and knows how to grow something and through all the adversity she has remained strong.  The character is focused and he knows that she will remain strong out of this. 

Now if you read who survives or deosn't I just wrote that I do think she will be killed in the end, but I hope that she does pull through.

Also if you recall the episode where she goes to her father, pregnant and tells him that she has taken over control of the business.  Well, yet another little interesting bit here, he was freaking out that someone took money from his account.  Just sharing yet another forshadowing moment.