Author Topic: Sawyer, Unlocke and the pylons  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Sawyer, Unlocke and the pylons
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I had a problem with the whole Sawyer-Locke dialogue in last nights episode.  Sawyer asked Locked why he needed to take a boat to Hydra Island -- why couldn't he just turn into Smokey and fly over there.  Locke's answer was, If I do that I could just leave the Island.  But I believe that Unlocke did go over there as Smokey and kill all the survivors of the plane wreck.  We know Locke needed the boat to get Seyid to Hydra, but in the Sawyer/Locke episode a few weeks ago Sawyer told Unlocke about the pylons.  Sawyer knows they keep Smokey out.  When Unlocke got to Hydra, he seemed very surprised to see the pylons. 

Sawyer's plan was to send Unlocke over there and have him and Widmore battle it out.  How?  Sawyer seemed disappointed and pissed when Locke came strolling up the beach alive and well.  What did he expect?  He knew the pylons would keep Unlocke out.  Sawyer doesn't know that UL can't be killed except with the dagger and if he doesn't speak, so how did he think UL could pass the pylons and get into it with Widmore's people.

(Note):  It is obvious that Widmore knows how to destroy Unlocke with the electromagnetic field, and that's why he needs Desmond and Jin.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Sawyer, Unlocke and the pylons
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:53 PM »
Destroy UnLocke?  Or contain UnLocke? 

I can't figure out what Widmore is trying to do...

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
I think he can probably turn into Smokey when he is on the Hydra Island, he just can't go across water as Smokey. 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
MIB is lying.  He could fly away, but he can't - for whatever voodoo Jacob put on him to contain him. But if he comes down to earth and drags off all the candidates with him, then there is no one to fight or contain him - and then he can spirit away.  He can't just kill them to get rid of them because Jacob' touch is still protecting them - perhaps with long life like Alpert's.

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
don't think that smokey killed the remaining survivors of the  plane ....it was probably widmore ....and sawyer does not know how exactly smokey can be stopped/killed .... he was just hoping they will start a fight and he can get off the island with whoever is the winning/surviving  party 

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
I've heard several different iterations of evil not being able to cross moving/running water either at all, or without help. I know that the most well known one is probably the Headless Horseman who couldn't cross the bridge in Sleepy Hollow. That myth (or legend, if you prefer) plays into modern literature as well. I just finished reading Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's book "The Strain" and several times they talk about how evil can't cross open bodies of water without the help of a mortal (the book is about vampires, but they reference evil, so I guess take it as you wish). So, my point is this. It seems to me that Smokey is able to cross water if he has help of some kind, but is physically unable to turn into the smoke and just fly away. As it has been stated on here before, if he could do that, he would have. But this also plays into why he wants to get on the plane and fly away. He needs someone to help him (fly the eplane) BECAUSE he can't do it himself. But then again, he did use the out rigger to get BACK to the mainland without Sayid helping him. Hmmmm, weird.