Author Topic: Why does Locke want the plane...  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Locke want the plane...
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »
Wallace is MIB... dun dun dun.  Or maybe not.  I completely agree, there's no way that plane is going anywhere since they'd have to turn it around.  Even if MIB had force powers to do that, it would still need repairs.  No way I'd want to fly that thing.  And unless MIB knows how to fly planes, he better recruit Frank, which means besides blowing the plane up, the best way to prevent MIB from leaving is to kill Frank.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Also, why would Jacob have his own name on a list to replace himself?  Unless, of course, he was once a candidate to replace someone before him, but I don't think they have time to go that direction (if they had stretched this out a few more seasons, maybe).

I don't quite get why someone who seemingly lives forever even needs a replacement at all.  I mean, he's been bringing people to the Island for however long, to prove some point to MIB.  When did bringing people to the Island also turn into grooming candidates?  That doesn't make any sense to me unless he himself was a replacement.  Maybe he realized what MIB's plan was and then he decided he needed a replacement and that's when he enlisted Ilana?

This discussion should probably be in another thread since it has nothing to do with the plane, but....

The key word you used above is 'seemingly'.  He seemingly lives forever but he was just killed.  (Just as in Honeymoon in Vegas, "A straight flush is, like, unbeatable!.......'Like' unbeatable is not unbeatable!").  Through Jacob and MIB's conversation, it would seem that Jacob draws people to the island to prove MIB wrong about humanity and this has been going on a loooooong time.  But how long has there been a search for a replacement?  Has the purpose been two-fold all along?  In other words, is Jacob trying to prove MIB wrong by showing that there is hope for humanity and in proving so, he would then find a candidate worthy to replace him?  Sounds plausible, but we still don't know why he needs a replacement to begin with.  I guess that will be part of the final big reveal at the end.  We've been told (in a way) what the island is, what the numbers mean, why everyone was chosen to be brought to the island, etc. but until we know EXACTLY who Jacob and MIB are, we're still in the dark.

Anyway, about the plane, I think he just needs it as bait because it's his way of coaxing people to his side.  He promises to get them off the island on the plane, but, oh no!, Widmore's people are guarding the plane!  So he's recruiting people to go up against Widmore.

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
Wallace is MIB... dun dun dun.  Or maybe not.  I completely agree, there's no way that plane is going anywhere since they'd have to turn it around.  Even if MIB had force powers to do that, it would still need repairs.  No way I'd want to fly that thing.  And unless MIB knows how to fly planes, he better recruit Frank, which means besides blowing the plane up, the best way to prevent MIB from leaving is to kill Frank.

I don't understand why people think the plane is unusable.    Jake and Kate helped build the runway.   Lapidus landed it safely on a runway.    If there is a runway, all you have to do is turn the plane around and head out.   This seems to fit with the idea that it's been smokie, not Jacob manipulating the others most of the time.    They were building a runway, so the plane with lockes body could land and ultimately convince Ben to kill Jacob.   Locke can remove shackels without touching them, I have to guess he could also make the plane work.

Not that I think anyone's gonna fly away...I'm just sayin....