Author Topic: sideways time line confusion  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Lady Penelope

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
sideways time line confusion
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
I'm a bit confused.......,maybe I'm missing something??

Sideways Sawyer is a cop. Crash Sawyer was originally on 815 because he was being deported after being arrested in a bar after a fight (if I remember rightly). Does this mean that he never went to Australia at that point and went later after he became a cop??

Also where does Jacks son come from? Did he stay with his wife, cause I thought she left him for someone else cause Jack was never there.

Can someone explain??..... ???

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: sideways time line confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
In the original timeline, Sawyer went to Australia to find Anthony Cooper based on a tip he got from his crime boss partner guy. Unfortunately for Sawyer, his buddy lied to him and the guy Sawyer killed was actually just some poor schmo that owed Sawyer's buddy money.

As for Jack's son...I have no freaking idea, but I assume we will get some more background info on that huge surprise.

You bring up a great point in that the sideflashes are really confusing, mostly because we have no freaking idea what we are seeing, but deep down we know they will have to connect it back to the original timeline back on the Island. What the new timeline is...well we all have our different theories so pick one, or make your own, and we will find out by May 23rd.

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »

Sideways Sawyer is a cop. Crash Sawyer was originally on 815 because he was being deported after being arrested in a bar after a fight (if I remember rightly). Does this mean that he never went to Australia at that point and went later after he became a cop??

Also where does Jacks son come from? Did he stay with his wife, cause I thought she left him for someone else cause Jack was never there.

I believe the "flash sideways" portray the lives of these characters if Jacob had not interfered in their lives (or MIB doesn't exists anymore).  Thus Jack has a son, Des was on the plane instead of the island, Hurley is lucky, Sayid at least TRIES to do good and be right, Kate is still on the run but I believe I read somewhere on these boards that she is wrongly accused in this timeline, Locke is married and has a relationship of sorts with his father and also could have ended up in the wheel chair in a completely different way then what we were shown.

It has been 27 years since they blew the bomb up on the island.  The flashbacks we have been shown of the characters in the previous seasons are inconsequential in this alternate time-line.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »

I believe the "flash sideways" portray the lives of these characters if Jacob had not interfered in their lives (or MIB doesn't exists anymore).  Thus Jack has a son, Des was on the plane instead of the island, Hurley is lucky, Sayid at least TRIES to do good and be right, Kate is still on the run but I believe I read somewhere on these boards that she is wrongly accused in this timeline, Locke is married and has a relationship of sorts with his father and also could have ended up in the wheel chair in a completely different way then what we were shown.

It has been 27 years since they blew the bomb up on the island.  The flashbacks we have been shown of the characters in the previous seasons are inconsequential in this alternate time-line.

And unfortunately, Sawyer's parents still met the same demise, so Sawyer became a cop in the sideways flash.  Remember he had told his partner Miles that he had taken a vacation somewhere to go fishing or whatever, but then he finally confessed he was in Australia trying to track down the man who was responsible for causing his parents deaths? So Sawyer was in Australia.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
In the flash sideways Sawyer is on the same plane coming from Australia.  He did go to Australia to track down Anthony Cooper, same reason as in the original timeline.  In the original timeline Sawyer never becomes a cop.

In the original timeline Jack's son David does not exist.  He never had a son.

There are many things that are different in the sideways flash.  It is not just what happened if the plane never crashed.  Many things about their previous lives are different as well, supposedly because Jacob did not intervene in their lives.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Sawyer's parent's still died because he was touched by Jacob after their death.

If you believe that then why did Hurley's life change because he was touched by Jacob right before the return to the island. Jack was touched when he was a surgeon, I am assuming this was after the birth of his son.

So there is real inconsistency on the touch of Jacob(or if he does not touch them) and their lives changing.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »

If you believe that then why did Hurley's life change because he was touched by Jacob right before the return to the island. Jack was touched when he was a surgeon, I am assuming this was after the birth of his son.

So there is real inconsistency on the touch of Jacob(or if he does not touch them) and their lives changing.

OMG I'm so confused!!!!!!!!!   ???   ???   >:(   ???   ???   

Offline jakstraw79

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »

i think interfered is the more likely word, not touched.  Hurley won the lottery with numbers from the island in the original timeline.  in the flash sideways, presumably the numbers did not come from the island.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »

Agreed. I think his touch is being taken as the "Push" to the island, but I think that is the misdirection. I think it may have an entirely different meaning.