Author Topic: Invites Only...  (Read 7862 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Invites Only...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »
I'd think part of his reasons for invite's only would be like Dogen's choice to have a translator.  He wanted to be able to have some separation with the people he was watching over.  Jacob wanted to have boundaries that were his choice to block or allow passage.  Not just that, but even a god-like being needs some alone time too, right?  A place to meditate or...I dunno...weave a tapestry...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
But how does the rest of the statue just disappear once it falls over?  There has been no evidence of the remaining statue parts in any scene.  I keep waiting for a "Planet of the Apes" type of shot with the head and one of the arms sticking out of the sand.   Nope.

You can make out the head peeking out of the water and what looks like an ankh on the beach.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
Just to add, totally agree with the physics thing (Think of the statue being built of layers of bricks like the pyramids were (as someone pointed out) rather than a plaster cast lump of concrete, then imagine a Lego replica and hey presto, easy to imagine it toppling under a toddler's enthusiasm never mind a slave ship and tidal wave!).
Also I'd disagree that Jacob wasn't pissed about his statue being destroyed, he certainly looked a little miffed as he opened a can of whoopass on poor Ricardo! I hope Jacob was well placed (hopefully on some sort of latrine) when that boat hit his statue, otherwise he will be getting Richard a pair of rubber gloves and a scrubbing brush!.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
I don't think you need to think of the statue as being stacked stone or whatever. You have to think of Water as having an amazing amount of potential energy that once it is loosed would really have no problem destroying most things in it's path.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
When Jacob explained that only invited people could come in, it was because he didn't want to go into full detail about Candidates at that time.

Does anyone else think that the statue may have been there to contain some kind of force or person or something?  The foot actually has a hole in the top (where the ankle should be?) because you can see stars above the fire pit where Jacob vaporized.  Perhaps Jacob had a whole complex inside the statue or something.  Maybe he kept Smokey inside and once the statue was toppled, Smokey got out or was accessible by MiB.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »
I hope that when we see some more back story of Jacob and MIB that we see the statue in actual use. It seems like we will have to since it is so prominent.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 12:12:43 PM »
I hope that when we see some more back story of Jacob and MIB that we see the statue in actual use. It seems like we will have to since it is so prominent.
I hope we get more too vikki I really do. But I think we're done with the past. I mean, we know what the nature of their conflict is now so I think it'll only be forward momentum from here on in. That being said, I would love to get some more insight on the Egyptian side of the mythology of the island. So, here's hoping!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »
I hope we get more too vikki I really do. But I think we're done with the past. I mean, we know what the nature of their conflict is now so I think it'll only be forward momentum from here on in. That being said, I would love to get some more insight on the Egyptian side of the mythology of the island. So, here's hoping!

I don't see how they can avoid telling us more about the whole Egyptian thing that has been going on, so I wouldn't worry about it too much Griz.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

I don't see how they can avoid telling us more about the whole Egyptian thing that has been going on, so I wouldn't worry about it too much Griz.
Cool. Cause they sure did provide a lot of insight into the Christianity aspect of it this week.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
If it was just a statue then they could have, but since Jacob live in it forces them to tell us why.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
If it was just a statue then they could have, but since Jacob live in it forces them to tell us why.

Exactly, if all they gave us about the Egyptian thing was like, the carvings on Ben's secret door, or the statue, or the stuff in the temple walls, then maybe they could get by with out telling us, but all of that combined is not something you can just skim over and expect us to come to a reasonable conclussion on our own.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
Jacob lives in a hollow foot of a hollow statue, case closed.

...almost makes him sound like a Keebler elf!  ;D

Offline darinfic

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
i'm thinking the invite only rule is for protection. if jacob adopted an open-door policy then there's so much more risk for someone to sneak in and stab him without words being spoken.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
Well, I kinda doubt that someone who was coming there with blood in his eye planning to stab Jacob in the heart would suddenly stop and snap his fingers, "Oh darn, I don't have an invitation, so I can't go in.  Drat!" 

That whole "invitation only" thing seemed really weird to me.  Since this episode was so full of spiritual symbolism, do you suppose it was supposed to symbolize Heaven?  A place where you can come by invitation only?  I dunno, I'm reaching here.  As I say, it seemed really weird to me.

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 02:13:58 PM »
Well, I kinda doubt that someone who was coming there with blood in his eye planning to stab Jacob in the heart would suddenly stop and snap his fingers, "Oh darn, I don't have an invitation, so I can't go in.  Drat!" 

That whole "invitation only" thing seemed really weird to me.  Since this episode was so full of spiritual symbolism, do you suppose it was supposed to symbolize Heaven?  A place where you can come by invitation only?  I dunno, I'm reaching here.  As I say, it seemed really weird to me.

exactly my feeling. thanks MP.