Author Topic: Jacob Baptizing Richard  (Read 6806 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Jacob Baptizing Richard
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:13:01 AM »
Kinda interesting how Jacob basically baptized Richard by dunking him in the water, more or less saying he was "born again" after that (since Richard thought he was already dead). And they even had Jacob giving Richard eternal life after the baptism lol.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Baptizing Richard
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
I don't think it was a baptism. I think he was just proving to Richard that he wasn't really dead.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
I don't think it was a baptism. I think he was just proving to Richard that he wasn't really dead.
It was symbolism, I mean. Jacob "baptized" Richard by dunking him in the water, made Richard feel like he was actually alive after believing he was really dead ("born again"). And then gave him eternal life. It's not a coincidence, trust me lol :).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:35:11 AM by WhatThe »

Offline taki1379

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
Yeah. Baptisim is alot less abrasive.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »
Yeah. Baptisim is alot less abrasive.
It.
Was.
Symbolism lol.

Offline lostjava

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:44 AM »

Exactly.  Richard thought he was dead and in hell.   Jacob was proving to him that he could die, thus alive and not in hell.  It was a dramatic way to prove a point. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »

Exactly.  Richard thought he was dead and in hell.   Jacob was proving to him that he could die, thus alive and not in hell.  It was a dramatic way to prove a point. 

Oh, sheesh lol. Ok, read this from a TV critic from the Los Angeles Times about last night's episode:

"...the Island is not Hell, and the people on it are not dead, as Jacob proves when he practically baptizes Richard to show him he's still alive. (And, notice, once Richard is done being baptized, he's reborn as a servant of his new lord. Hmmm.)"

Again...as I said in the OP: it's interesting how Jacob "basically baptizes" Richard. I can't be the only one here who caught the symbolism lol.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll post it here.

Ricardo has been on the island (off the ship) for a day and knows more then all the others combined. He knows how the Black Rock got to the middl eof the jungle, what happened to the statue, where Jacob lives, that MiB is Smokey, what Jacobs role on the island is, Jacob brought him and others before him to the island for a galactic test, why he hasn't aged in 150 years, who was captain of the Black Rock. I am sure there is more this is all I can think of. It took the rest of the islanders 5 seasons to get the knowlege Richard received in 1 day.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll post it here.

Ricardo has been on the island (off the ship) for a day and knows more then all the others combined. He knows how the Black Rock got to the middl eof the jungle, what happened to the statue, where Jacob lives, that MiB is Smokey, what Jacobs role on the island is, Jacob brought him and others before him to the island for a galactic test, why he hasn't aged in 150 years, who was captain of the Black Rock. I am sure there is more this is all I can think of. It took the rest of the islanders 5 seasons to get the knowlege Richard received in 1 day.
Which probably explains why he was always so calm lol :)

Offline lostjava

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
Ricardo has been on the island (off the ship) for a day and knows more then all the others combined.

I guess you've got to meet the right peopole at the right time.

Oh, sheesh lol. Ok, read this from a TV critic from the Los Angeles Times about last night's episode:
Again...as I said in the OP: it's interesting how Jacob "basically baptizes" Richard. I can't be the only one here who caught the symbolism lol.

I think you're reading too much into it.  But of course, you are welcome to your view points, since there are many to be had in the world of Lost.  But I still just think he was proving a point, nothing more.  And it was probably more effective than beating him with a rock.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »
I think you're reading too much into it.  But of course, you are welcome to your view points, since there are many to be had in the world of Lost.  But I still just think he was proving a point, nothing more.  And it was probably more effective than beating him with a rock.
I can't see how I'm reading too much into it since Lost is pack to the brim with religious symbolism. The symbolic baptism in this case was incredibly blatant, to be honest. Not sure why this moment should be any different than the multitude of others during the show's run.

And just to be clear, it was the writers who came up with the symbolism, not Jacob lol. Jacob's intent during that moment isn't really the issue (although it could be argued successfully that Jacob's intent was indeed to have Richard "reborn", so to speak). My comment was about the writers using the symbolism of baptism to illustrate what was going on between Jacob and Richard, which I thought was pretty clever. I'm glad the TV critic saw it as well, at least. ;)

Offline bluesmanjay

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
I can't see how I'm reading too much into it since Lost is pack to the brim with religious symbolism. The symbolic baptism in this case was incredibly blatant, to be honest. Not sure why this moment should be any different than the multitude of others during the show's run.

Dude...I got to tell you. I saw it too. The first thing I thought was, "Wow he's baptizing him, and he's now born again!"

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »
I guess my Atheist mind doesn't think that way, I saw a guy trying to drown another to prove he wasn't dead.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
I also think it was quite interesting how closely that scene mimicked the scene where Sayid is "dipped" and held into the Temple Healing Springs.  That was my first thought when it was happening.  I have to agree, however, that symbolic baptism is very evident.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
Yes, it is symbolic Baptism.  Baptism is itself symbolic.  Many people are so resistant to any kind of Biblical reference that they refuse to acknowledge its presence, as if to do so would be some kind of admission of faith...which it is not.  This was similar to the way that many folks reacted when I started bringing up time travel after Desmond's first "Flashes before his eyes" experience...afraid that acknowledging the presence of time travel would make them a sci-fi nerd...which it doesn't.