Author Topic: I-Ching & the Dharma logo  (Read 4223 times)

Offline cojes

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
I-Ching & the Dharma logo
« on: May 11, 2006, 05:41:51 PM »
If anyone knows anything about I-Ching notice how the triagrams compare to compass points on all the Dharma logos borders. :o

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: I-Ching & the Dharma logo
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:49:13 PM »

cojes:  The DHARMA Initiative symbol is based on the Ba-Gua, a wheel determining “alignments” in Feng-Shui, with its origins in the I Ching & Taoist thought. Though it was and is used primarily for geomancy, it has deep roots in mathematics & the true sciences, much as astronomy is a pseudoscience for the superstitious, but has its roots in astronomy. Note that the center contains the well-known yin-yang symbol, which in our DI symbol is divided by the swan neck. At the roots of Taoism, Buddhism & other East Asian faiths is the idea of mutually opposing things existing in balance—dualism. The relation of these faiths to LOST is nothing new—the number 108 is a sacred number to Buddhists.

The symbols surrounding are trigrams of kwae, composed of an undivided dash (yang) or a divided one (yin). Meanings are as follows:

yin-yin-yin (K’un) - earth - mother/receptive (lower fly of S. Korean flag)
yin-yin-yang (Kên) - mountain - third son/keeping still
yin-yang-yin (K’an) - water - second son/abysmal (upper fly)
yin-yang-yang (Sun) - wind - first daughter/gentle
yang-yin-yin (Chên) - thunder - first son/the arousing
yang-yin-yang (Li) - fire - second daughter/clinging (lower hoist)
yang-yang-yin (Tui) - lake - third daughter/joyful
yang-yang-yang (Ch’ien) - heaven - father/creative (upper hoist)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:05:38 PM by PandoraX »

Offline cojes

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »
Thanks Pandora X!!!!!
This was bugging me since we first saw the logo but it wasn't until I remebered an old girlfriend was into I-ching that I realized where I'd seen the symbols before. I never found any links to Ba-Gua before.
Guess I won't be getting alot of work done this afternoon.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:07:01 PM »
No problem, cojes! Have fun in your research, there's a lot on the subject... and it's one of those interesting symbols that can be interpreted a million ways, depending on what kinds of connections you are trying to see...

PS:  I cut and paste some of that from my original theory on how the bagua relates to the story... if you want to read more about my theory, it's linked below.

Binary Code & The Duality of Man
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:09:04 PM by PandoraX »

Offline Gin

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 09:25:38 PM »
Hi there.  New here.

Glad to see the explanation of the Ba Gua. I noticed a Q&A on the front page that failed to connect the lines to I Ching so I went searching and ended up here.

PandoraX - fascinating work on binary code and duality.  Have you read any of Fritjof Capra's work? (The Tao of Physics, Turning Point)

Others interested in the physics meets metaphysics overtones of Lost might enjoy this link and the rest of the website.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/help/introduction-physics-philosophy-metaphysics-space.htm

Offline lau5352

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
YIN YANG
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 10:06:01 AM »
Because I am a huge LOST GEEK.  And because LOST refers to black and white so often, I decided to look up yin & yang.  Yin seems to describe the "others" and yang the "Losties"  Then I was scrolling down on the same website and saw this diagram that just so happens to have all the lines/broken lines that the dharma logo has. It could be nothing, but worth checking out!!   ;D
I’m sure someone else has already thought of this so sorry if I am repeating!!  ::)

http://www.friesian.com/yinyang.htm

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
Re: YIN YANG
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:45:16 PM »
Hi Lau!  Welcome, and join right in.  But because we already have this exact conversation going in DHARMA logo, I'm going to merge that in there, ok?

Capra:  I've heard of "The Tao of Physics" but have never read it... I need to add that to my already growing reading list, LOL.  It's interesting to think about where metaphysics and the physical sciences intersect for me.  I think it's sort of where the writing team is going with LOST, in so far as explaining the paranormal events that happen on the island.  I read some of Damon & Javi's sci fi works elsewhere, and I see some theme similarities.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 01:13:03 PM by PandoraX »

Offline lau5352

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »
Thank you PandoraX!!  There is just so many topics, i didnt have time to look at them all!!!  In the future i will try to keep them with the related topics!!   ;D

Sorry about that~!

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:09:03 PM »
ok, how do you do the scrolling entry?

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »
ok, how do you do the scrolling entry?

The button is on the top of your text box, with the moving <-M<- symbol (if you hover over it, it says "Marquee")

And don't worry about it Lau, it'll happen on any forum that people will sometimes not find a related thread, even upon a search.  Me merging it isn't any reprimand to folks necessarily, it's just to save room so that there aren't 100 threads about the same topic; we can also get a variety of conversations going, and not have to keep refering to parallel posts and repeating ourselves, too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:14:19 PM by PandoraX »

Offline rk23

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Dharma Symbol...Morse code???
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 01:41:33 PM »
Hi there, anyone any good at translating morse code? If you look at the Dharma symbol it is made up of dots and dash's, and I thought it could read something in morse code. Really hard to work out when one letter starts and the next finishes though. Just an idea and I know its going to bug me till I find out for sure.

Any help or ideas would be awesome

cheers
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 01:18:48 PM by rk23 »

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 11:51:20 PM »
Because I am a huge LOST GEEK.  And because LOST refers to black and white so often, I decided to look up yin & yang.  Yin seems to describe the "others" and yang the "Losties"  Then I was scrolling down on the same website and saw this diagram that just so happens to have all the lines/broken lines that the dharma logo has. It could be nothing, but worth checking out!!   ;D
I’m sure someone else has already thought of this so sorry if I am repeating!!  ::)

http://www.friesian.com/yinyang.htm

Yes very similar to the korean flag, which hasbeen discussed and also on main page  under I think Index or themes  done by pandora.