Author Topic: The Cork  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The Cork
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »
Ok, I think I get it... (This is me asking for input to make sure I get it lol)

The island needs to be protected because the island is the only thing keeping "evil" away from the rest of the world. MIB (I think) wants to kill everyone and everything because they all corrupt anyway... right? It doesnt seem like MIB can be killed so the island has to serve as a "cork" to that bottle to keep him in so that he can't (in theory) bring an end to the world...? ...Right?

Let me know what you guys think...

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: The Cork
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
Ok, I think I get it... (This is me asking for input to make sure I get it lol)

The island needs to be protected because the island is the only thing keeping "evil" away from the rest of the world. MIB (I think) wants to kill everyone and everything because they all corrupt anyway... right? It doesnt seem like MIB can be killed so the island has to serve as a "cork" to that bottle to keep him in so that he can't (in theory) bring an end to the world...? ...Right?

Let me know what you guys think...

I never got the idea that he want's the world to end...He would just be happy off that Island and into the rest of the world

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:35 PM »
I guess I was unclear if the evil, or the water from the bottle, was meant by Jacob to represent smokey, or a larger,as yet unknown, force?  If meant to be the latter, then I guess Smokey has some sort of role to play in the Island's functioning as a cork?

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
the wine in the bottle represents evil

Smokey is evil incarnate

Smokey is the evil inside the bottle

Smokey says there's a little bit of him (evil) inside everyone
Jacob says there isn't

Smokey is the great manipulator
He wants to get out of the bottle (off the island) so he can manipulate everyone into doing whatever there own selfish hearts desire

Jacob wants to keep him bottled up

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:03:35 AM »
Smashing the bottle on the log is a metaphor for sinking the entire Island in the ocean, setting him free to infect the world directly with the dark.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:53 AM »
Smashing the bottle on the log is a metaphor for sinking the entire Island in the ocean, setting him free to infect the world directly with the dark.

Ooooooooh!  You are right!  Wow...that's awesome.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »
So Jacob protects the island in order to keep Smokey corked in the metaphorical bottle?  Then Smokey wants to destroy / sink the island to metaphorically uncork the bottle?  So the way off the island for Smokey is to destroy / sink it, but as long as Jacob is alive and protecting it, he can't?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:49 AM »
But then why is it Jacob that is bringing the people to the island to prove MiB wrong? Wouldn't you just keep everyone away from the island, so no one can kill you, therefore MiB can't get off, since MiB himself cannot kill Jacob?

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:22:40 AM »
And wouldn't it be foolish to say that there's no evil in the world? Something's not adding up  here...

Offline lamporium

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:34 AM »
But then why is it Jacob that is bringing the people to the island to prove MiB wrong? Wouldn't you just keep everyone away from the island, so no one can kill you, therefore MiB can't get off, since MiB himself cannot kill Jacob?

Rehabilitation of MIB, or maybe even Jacob gets bored.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:16:46 AM »
MIB, as I understood it, was represented as the wine in the bottle, and the Island was the cork. Jacob is there to make sure the cork stays in place because if evil escapes then all hell will break loose, like Hurley said.

Basically, after being trapped in his cell for so long, MIB doesn't care, but the effect of his leaving the Island to the "real" world would mean his evil would spread, much as it is doing on the Island.

As messed up as this world already is, imagine how much worse it would be with a bunch of Roberts, Claires, and Sayids running around, all changed by the "infection" of evil.

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:29:01 AM »
And wouldn't it be foolish to say that there's no evil in the world? Something's not adding up  here...
Sure there is evil in the world; I think MiB's opinion is that ALL people are inherently evil, with or without him...
As messed up as this world already is, imagine how much worse it would be with a bunch of Roberts, Claires, and Sayids running around, all changed by the "infection" of evil.
I think more to the point, letting the cork out of the bottle would unleash HELL on the world, not evil.  Smokey kills what he judges evil, and he judges everybody to be evil.  Imagine the smoke monster doing to NYC or LA what it did to the temple a couple episodes ago... not good.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:01:23 AM »
Sure there is evil in the world; I think MiB's opinion is that ALL people are inherently evil, with or without him...
I think more to the point, letting the cork out of the bottle would unleash HELL on the world, not evil.  Smokey kills what he judges evil, and he judges everybody to be evil.  Imagine the smoke monster doing to NYC or LA what it did to the temple a couple episodes ago... not good.
That's interesting, I didnt look at it like that...and here is why, he judged Eko, althought Eko was evil at one time he repented his sins...I always figured he killed Eko cuz he was a threat...he knew he would team up with Jacob so he killed him...

Another reason, Jacob compaired the wine to evil manevolence whhch is MiB...so it's not that he judges eveil, he is evil.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:29 AM »
EXACTLY!
Something rang false with that whole explanation.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
So wouldn't the sideflashes or whatever we are calling them that has a sunken island have the evil released? Is the wine out of the bottle in that time line? If so it doesn't look too bad....yet.