Poll

Rate "Ab Aeterno" and give your opinion of the episode.

13 (48.1%)
7 (25.9%)
3 (11.1%)
2 (7.4%)
1 (3.7%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (3.7%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Episode 6x09 Rating  (Read 5986 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 6x09 Rating
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »
I gave it an 8, probably a 7 for the first half and 9 for the second. While I enjoyed Richard's back story, it felt a little sluggish until his encounters with MIB and Jacob.
Well stated. i agree it. The first half was slow, second half was awesome.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 08:49:27 PM »
I gave it a 7 - for the first time in 6 years I just didn't buy the explanation of how the statue was destroyed and how the Black Rock was not a pile of matches and they had survivors.
Yeah I buy the smoke monster and all the other stuff but this well, it lacked creativity. 

Though there is one thing after sorting through the threads that I think some might have missed.  MIB frees Richard and feeds him the wild boar that was feeding off the dead on the ship.  Hmmmm season one the wild boar feeding off the dead on the plane.

But the other part was when Locke came to the camp of the "others" and had the wild boar on his shoulders and said to Richard dinner.  Funny how Richard was given queues and clues from Locke but he never caught on.  Locke said to him at one point about his not aging and so on.

My point - there has been for years now much foreshadowing.

I also loved the wine and cork as for quite some time I have been referring to MIB being a genie in a bottle!   

Glad to see Richards back story and I trust he makes the right choice

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »
Great catch about the boar, LiL!

MiB is like the genie in a bottle, except when you ask him for your wish, you are making a deal with the devil.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
I gave it a 7 - for the first time in 6 years I just didn't buy the explanation of how the statue was destroyed and how the Black Rock was not a pile of matches and they had survivors.
Yeah I buy the smoke monster and all the other stuff but this well, it lacked creativity. 

Though there is one thing after sorting through the threads that I think some might have missed.  MIB frees Richard and feeds him the wild boar that was feeding off the dead on the ship.  Hmmmm season one the wild boar feeding off the dead on the plane.

But the other part was when Locke came to the camp of the "others" and had the wild boar on his shoulders and said to Richard dinner.  Funny how Richard was given queues and clues from Locke but he never caught on.  Locke said to him at one point about his not aging and so on.

My point - there has been for years now much foreshadowing.

I also loved the wine and cork as for quite some time I have been referring to MIB being a genie in a bottle!  

Glad to see Richards back story and I trust he makes the right choice
But there is no vote of 7 on the poll?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:08 AM »
There is now.  I know I pushed the button

Great catch about the boar, LiL! 

MiB is like the genie in a bottle, except when you ask him for your wish, you are making a deal with the devil.

Well, E.S.B. if we think back about the boar Locke brought boar to the Losties in the start.  He had knives.  I have said, and perhaps not as adamantly on here as I have with off of here that there has been a good amount of foreshadowing. 

Knives, boars, Locke and MIB  hmmmm   - a crazy Mom
I could go on ;) ::)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
I find this episoxce extremely disappointing and substandard.  I would have given it a solid zero escept that some of the parts with Hurley were good, and the dichotomy over whther Unolocke or Jacob is the good guy were well done.After all this time, Richard's story was hokey and overly melodramatic.  To top it off, it was mostlly in Spanish.  I really did not want to read the dialogue; I wanted to hear it.  When you have to read it, you miss too much expression.  Just put a note at the bottom saying that they are speaking Spanish, and let them speak Englis, which is, after all, the International language.   A few liuunes that have to be translated, fine, but not half the show!I could have forgiven that if the episode had been well done.
I never thought Richard was such a wuss or such a fool until this episode.  I also object to the portrayal of the priest.  No priest would tell anyone that he was beyond God's redemption!

It was like a bad Hispanic soap opera!  Or a really bad romance novel!
I had hoped to find some deep story behind Richard and his long life, but this was extremely disappointing and cliched.  Where was the smart and complex writing that LOST so often offers?  WE got answeres, but they were unsatisfactory.  The way the statue supposedly was destroyed made no sense.  Richard, a character I liked, was a pathetic jerk in this issue. 

I am amazed and aghast that other people gave this episode high marks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:55:31 PM by Novashannon »

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I find this episoxce extremely disappointing and substandard.  I would have given it a solid zero escept that some of the parts with Hurley were good, and the dichotomy over whther Unolocke or Jacob is the good guy were well done.After all this time, Richard's story was hokey and overly melodramatic.  To top it off, it was mostlly in Spanish.  I really did not want to read the dialogue; I wanted to hear it.  When you have to read it, you miss too much expression.  Just put a note at the bottom saying that they are speaking Spanish, and let them speak Englis, which is, after all, the International language.   A few liuunes that have to be translated, fine, but not half the show!I could have forgiven that if the episode had been well done.
I never thought Richard was such a wuss or such a fool until this episode.  I also object to the portrayal of the priest.  No priest would tell anyone that he was beyond God's redemption!

It was like a bad Hispanic soap opera!  Or a really bad romance novel!
I had hoped to find some deep story behind Richard and his long life, but this was extremely disappointing and cliched.  Where was the smart and complex writing that LOST so often offers?  WE got answeres, but they were unsatisfactory.  The way the statue supposedly was destroyed made no sense.  Richard, a character I liked, was a pathetic jerk in this issue. 

I am amazed and aghast that other people gave this episode high marks.

Nova- I agree with the priest deal.  I didn't have high hopes for this episode and oddly enough people I spoke with outside the forum were unhappy with this episode and wondered what is next.

I am glad to know that there was someone who was even more disappointed than I but for totally other reasons.

Can I buy you a drink?  ;)  And thank  you for the brutal honesty! 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
I felt it was a great character episode.  After having wanted a Richard epi for so long I'm glad that they placed it here.  It worked out so well with the flow of the story.  I gave it a 10- I realized how much I miss the flashbacks!  When I rewatch LOST after it is all said and done I think I will view Richard much more differently.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Okay, I'm finally weighing in here.

I loved this episode - I gave it a 9 though.  To me, it was just a notch below the greatest episodes of all-time - I can use Dr Linus as the benchmark from this season, and this was just a hair below that from a character standpoint.  Nestor Carbonell was terrific playing the many faces of Richard, but I related to Ben's story more, probably because it was told in more traditional "Lost-fashion" and because I am more compelled by Ben's character.

I think this episode gave us more from a mythological standpoint than any other episode we've seen - it basically summed up and spelled out the entire conflict of the entire series.  We know what Jacob vs. MiB really means now.  We know what The Island is.  Think about that for a second!  I never thought we would have actually been told, in no uncertain terms, what The Island actually is!  I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the explanation of The Island being a cork because I can't tell if it holds true based on everything else that I've seen, but I guess I will know one day when I re-watch all 6 seasons together.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
After a week of thinking I gave this episode a 7. The only reason I gave it that was because of all the great answers and story we got in the second half of the episode. I forget who said the backstory was like a bad hispanic soap opera, but I could not agree more plus it moved along so slow. Once Richard got to the island it picked up and got good. Also I consider a great episode to contain at least half the cast in it.
A Richard episode was long due and I am glad they gave it to us-and he's still hot!

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »
By the way, Priests can refuse absolution. Penance used to be so horrible that people wouldn't go to confession but a few times in their life.
Basically the Priest denied Richard's absolution and condemned him to hell. That was the whole point of why Richard didn't want to die. He doesn't want to go to hell.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
I gave the episode a hard 6.  You ask why ok I'll recap.

Hey Everyone I'm going to go wonder into the jungle

flash forward
Hey Babe let's hook up I work for your dad but who's your daddy?

I'm daddy's naughty little girl.

Hey Where's Kwon S.O.B.

Ok time to start a fight!

I can't swim or fly to Alcatraz

Hey give me Kwon

I don't have your Asian Sensation friend

Ok let's get the groupies together back on craphole

Get the secret weapon

A bloody drunken Scottish ex Monk

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz End!

Happy Easter!!!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
Very funny and that was the episode.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
PPWI, your new job will be to provide the story board for all remaining episodes.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
I gave the episode a hard 6.  You ask why ok I'll recap.

Hey Everyone I'm going to go wonder into the jungle

flash forward
Hey Babe let's hook up I work for your dad but who's your daddy?

I'm daddy's naughty little girl.

Hey Where's Kwon S.O.B.

Ok time to start a fight!

I can't swim or fly to Alcatraz

Hey give me Kwon

I don't have your Asian Sensation friend

Ok let's get the groupies together back on craphole

Get the secret weapon

A bloody drunken Scottish ex Monk

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz End!

Happy Easter!!!

giggle snort so was he wondering what he was doing in the jungle or wandering in the jungle.  Come here little girl have I got a knife for you