Author Topic: Into the final season - Favorite Character(s).....  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Into the final season - Favorite Character(s).....
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
Well now we are well into the final season of our favorite show I was wondering who everyone rooting for, who's our favorite characters, why, and if/what made you change your mind....
Just reading some thread's and I think this could be a good way of reminding some of us of the more subtle points of the characters, maybe telling us a few things we forgot, basically give us a 'new' approach to some old characteristics that we have grown to love over the past 6 years - well its worth a shot.

I have always been a big admirer of Charles Widmore, I love the character, so mysterious, never giving too much away, always playing his cards close to his chest. He obviously 'loves' the Island in his own way and wants it back at any cost. He seems such a hard man with money to back up his plan, but we have seen with his deteriorating relationship with his daughter Penny that he has a good heart (IMO). As much as he 'loves' the Island he still accepts that he screwed up with his relationship with Penny, he is obviously very devout to the Island that he would risk his relationship with his daughter. I think his 'obsession' with the Island is almost desperate and I am sure in the end he will turn out to be the good guy (or one of them).

I have always loved the Des and Penny thing to, only time I got a bit emotional was when it was Penny's boat that picked up the Oceanic 6 and the reunion between the 2 lovers. Desmond looks like being central to the Island's pysics, after all the time travelling he has had a pivotal role in constants and forseeing the future - a great and interesting character.

Also worthy of mention is Libby, another intruiging character and pretty to boot :). Just hope we find out why she was in the SRMI, I feel we deserve that at least.

Of the main characters Locke was always my favorite, loved his belief in his faith, that he would go to any lenght to follow his faith and that Smokey actually let him live back in the early days, leading him to say that he had seen into the eye of the Island and it was beautiful. I was kind of glad he was chosen to take the form of Smokey and it seems more beleivable than any of the other character being 'chosen', his strong faith and determination makes him a great vessel for MiB, he can be very persuasive (as we saw with people like Boone) yet seem quite calming, certainly not threatening, quite vulnerable as we have seen from his flashback - a great character acted very well by Terry O'Quinn.

so in conclusion:

1. Charles Widmore
2. John Locke
3. Desmond

Thanks for reading.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Into the final season - Favorite Character(s).....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »
The island
Vincent
Locke - if he can come back to life
Sawyer

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
My favorites are Locke, Rousseau, Hurley, Sayid (before the Temple pool polluted him) and Sawyer.  Locke is by far the most interesting character, in my opinion, because Terry O'Quinn plays him so well.  He's a very subtle actor, isn't he?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
Daniel Faraday, so confused and with a melted brain, but gentle and he made me understand all the timetravelstuff and died
killed by his own mother, who raised him knowing what would happen. He had a terrible father who tells him about the fakeplane,
because he would not remember it the next day. He tried to save little Charlotte and did timetravelexperiments on his girlfriend too, causing her brain to melt too. He helped Desmond's subconscience to get back to 2004, found Jughead, told Chang that they were from the future.
Totally nuts, my favourite character.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
I agree on Faraday. He was too awesome. I think Jack is the only one of our original Losties left alive that I would put in my favorites. A lot of my favorite characters are secondary characters like Desmond, Miles, and Frank (I don't know why exactly but I love Frank). Actually I lied.. I really hope everything works out for Sayid cause he's always been one of my favorites too.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
Oh, yes.  Daniel Faraday.  I like him, too.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
Locke has consistently been one of my top few favorite characters. I even like O'Quinn's portrayal of Fake Locke. He's definitely my #1 favorite character right now.

Charlie Pace had always been one of my favorites, until he was killed off. <-- sadness.

I'm liking Crazy Claire. The idea took a relatively boring character and added some very spicy... spice.

In the opposite sense, Sayid has always been an amazing character, but now I'm not sure if crazy Sayid is going to be totally bad@$$, or a complete failure.

Ben is amazing as always, but again, I'm not entirely sure if I like where his character is going.

In Seasons 3.5-5, I was becoming a big fan of Sawyer, but he, Alpert, and Kate have lost most of their appeal for me. They need to get back into the action. All of them are relatively boring right now, and I'm not liking it.

So in summary, here are my favorite characters from the end of Season 5:
1. Locke
2. Ben
3. Sayid
4. Alpert
5. Sawyer
6. Kate

And currently:
1. Locke
2. Claire
3. Ben (?)
4. Sayid (?)
5. Alpert (?)

But what about Hurley? Well, he's always been funny, but other than that, he's only had a brief period where he's been interesting. I hope he picks up in the next few episodes.

Now my prediction for the future: I think that Jack's character will somehow actually start to be sorta interesting in the near future. As much as I dislike Jack, I see the possibility of Jack reaching top 5 on my list, if the writers do their job the way I want them to. :D

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
The island
Vincent
Locke - if he can come back to life
Sawyer

OMG I forgot HURLEY I love him

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
I cant beleive there is no love for Charles, I am very disapointed in all of you :)

I just hope that in the end everyone (who doesnt love Widmore) will say, OMG Greg was right, he was a friggin' awesome character, a real good guy, we got him so wrong......... or maybe not :)

Widmore is for me the most interesting character, and IMO the most misunderstood - I have faith, Charles will come good in the end.

BTW, yeah I like Hurley but kind of like I like old Tom and Jerry cartoons, they are OK for a comedy fix but arent exactly life changing, but like I said, there is only one moment in the show that yanked on my emotional chord, when Penny's boat tips up to rescue the O6, the reunion between Penny and Desmond was bloody awesome in my book.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Jack - Protagonist. He's always felt like the reluctant fallable hero of the Lost story. For me it goes back to the very very first shot of Lost, his eyeball.
Hurley - He says "dude" about as much as I do, so I relate to him on a certain level. Plus, funny as hell.
Miles - Once again, great one liners, but he has kind of grown into one of my favs lately.
Desmond - Never gets enough screen time. I smile everytime I hear him say "brotha".
Ben - Probably my #1 favorite. He is the character you love to hate. I've enjoyed every line he has said ever since his "Do you have any milk?" scene in season 2.
Juliet - I think I'm alone on this one, but I may just be biased because I first saw the actress with Angelina Jolie in 'Gia'
Sawyer - The nicknames are classic.
MIB / John Locke - Lost would not be what it is without Terry O'Quinn. Plain and simple.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
Throw stones at me but....

Jack - tortured hero, I've always been interested in why the island wants him
Kate - tortured heroine, her ambiguity and inconsistency have made her totally unreliable and interesting
Hurley- somehow he has always been able to see into the heart of things
Alex - I cried when she died
Miles - his humor is drier than Hurley's and he always makes me laugh
Richard - only this season has become the character to watch to me.  His backstory was very moving.

Casey, I liked Juliet a lot too - she was a wild card - I miss her character very much this year.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:38:59 AM »
Some of the members here profoundly hate one character or another (Jack, Kate, Michael, etc.) and some have personal favorites (Hurley, Sawyer, Richard come to mind).  I appreciate the acting skills of Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson, so their characters stand out, but as for the characters themselves, I almost can't pick any favorites.  A few have jumped to the front of the line at times (Locke and Ben, but also Sayid, Richard, Eko) and there were a few that never made it out of the back of the pack for me (Michael, Ana Lucia, Shannon and Boone).  But most of them have been consistently 'constant' for me.  It would be easier to list the characters I would prefer to have never met because that list would be much shorter, but they are already long gone, dead and buried (alive) thanks to us viewers!   ;)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »
I cant beleive there is no love for Charles, I am very disapointed in all of you :)

I just hope that in the end everyone (who doesnt love Widmore) will say, OMG Greg was right, he was a friggin' awesome character, a real good guy, we got him so wrong......... or maybe not :)

Widmore is for me the most interesting character, and IMO the most misunderstood - I have faith, Charles will come good in the end.

BTW, yeah I like Hurley but kind of like I like old Tom and Jerry cartoons, they are OK for a comedy fix but arent exactly life changing, but like I said, there is only one moment in the show that yanked on my emotional chord, when Penny's boat tips up to rescue the O6, the reunion between Penny and Desmond was bloody awesome in my book.
Alan Dale is awesome and this last episode brought me back to loving him just for who he is.  Rebel I wait to see the Widmore mask and a glass of scotch on the table. I will be a good Penny

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
I love Locke and Flocke and hope something works out for (Locke) somehow -someway in the end. I used to love Ben. He was so delicisously evil but lately (this season) he is not quite the same. I LOVE the Desmond and Penny story and, I too, loved the scene when Penny rescues them. the earlier seasons of Bad Boy Sawyer were fun to watch and he is always nice to look at... Charlie, Daniel, Libby, Hurley, Miles are favorites too and Sayid is always there to save the day!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »
this should also include most unliked character