Poll

Rate "Recon" and give your opinion of the episode.

1 (5.9%)
2 (11.8%)
2 (11.8%)
7 (41.2%)
3 (17.6%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (5.9%)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Episode 6x8 Rating  (Read 5292 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Episode 6x8 Rating
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:58 PM »
Give us your opinion and rating of "Recon".

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 6x8 Rating
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:06:29 AM »
I gave it a 7 only because of the French Windows 7 commercials. I enjoyed them more than this episode.

The Alt Sawyer story was rather boring and just threw Charlotte in there. I didn't buy the fact that he slept with the lady as part of the sting.
Sawyer double crossing Flocke and Widmore? Interesting.
Sawyer forgetting Juliet and making time with Kate? That didn't make sense if he was so in love with Juliet.
The Claire/Kate cat fight? Nice!  :o  :-*
The my mother was crazy too story by MIB/Flocke seemed like we are repeating things (Rousseau, Claire, etc).
How many Sawyer nicknames? I don't remember any,and if there were any, they didn't stick out.

I like Sawyer and I feel that this episode was one of his worst. I am tired of the pattern of one good episode and one not so great episode.
Even Miles seemed like he was missing his normal swagger and wisecracking.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
7 from "I only rate 10s" Laklost.

Something was so wrong with this episode.  Elizabeth Sarnoff is pretty consistently my least favorite of the lead writers.  And she wrote it with some fella whose name I have never observed.  Was this a throwaway episode?  I have never felt Josh Hollowy so unbelievably off.  It felt like all the hype he's gotten for being the breakout star of Lost was weighing him down.  He seemed to be playing a version of Sawyer instead of Sawyer.  Sawyer as stereotype.  Is there a worse fate than being a cop in a bad cop show? I think Sawyer with all of his bravado and off-kilter questing was completely emasculated in his sideways life.  Horrid.

But then again, this could all be because, as this ep was successful at showing, him being so off could be because he has truly made a deal with the devil.  UnLocke has gone from swaggering maybe bad guy to an almost Lewisian Screwtape - fattening up his victims with false hope and comfort so he can eat them all for his victory dinner.  An example of one of his feast leftovers was left on Hydra Island.  I'm sick of the success of UnLocke.  I'm ready for the rise of Jacob.

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
I felt giving this episode a 7 was a gift.  Stereotypically I anticipated great things
since it was "Sawyer" centric. I found it a bit choppy, disjointed.  The on island aspect was fairly compelling but I  had difficulty  in the sideways scenario seeing Sawyer as a policeman.
I felt many aspects were a bit contrived...the LaFleur  command, Charlotte and her finding the family picture...leaving La Fleur at her door,  Miles as the sidekick,
etc.

Let us have hope that the Richard centric episode knocks our socks off.

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »
I gave it an 8, wasn't expecting such a harsh reaction online. Solid episode that I think would have rated higher if people didn't have such high expectations to get socks blown off each week, and stressing out about how many episodes are left and questions unanswered. That being said, I am anticipating a solid 9 or 10 next week.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »
I agree completely with Kurtis. Solid 8 via new ratings, probably a low 10 with my old ratings. The episode had decent acting, good plot development, and some interesting twists, both in the island timeline and the side-flash. I think the harsh reaction is based on how well people liked the previous episode.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
My harsh reaction was based on how much I hated the episode.  But I think I really hate UnLocke.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
My harsh reaction was based on how much I hated the episode.  But I think I really hate UnLocke.
lol, also a good reason to rate low.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
The funny thing is that I feel like I've delivered a crippling sucker punch in voting a 7.  It's like a zero.  ::)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
The funny thing is that I feel like I've delivered a crippling sucker punch in voting a 7.  It's like a zero.  ::)
Don't worry Lakie.  Like a prized fighter, Lost will be dusting itself off, getting off the mat and fighting back next week.  It's just a knockdown, not a KO.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
It's like a wristslap, not a knockdown.  :)

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
Yeah, that's what happens when I punch too, lol.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
Yeah, with me it's all in the tantrum.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
So I gave this episode a 7.  I enjoyed it, and I'm okay with the fact that it was a slower-paced, setup episode, compared to last week's epic.  We need some episodes like this.  There were some interesting storylines with FLocke, Sawyer, Kate and Widmore all mixed up in various cons and manipulating of each other.  The dichotemy of the way Claire treated Kate was intriguing - is she "back" now?

The Season 6 story arc was moved along and the players were moved into place to set up the next major events.  There weren't many great Sawyer one-liners, which I was a little disappointed it, and I thought the sideways story was not completely well-executed.  It was interesting to see, though, how sideways-Sawyer is different from Island Sawyer, yet the universe has course-corrected itself enough that he still wants to kill Anthony Cooper.  The subtle difference, though, is that Miles might actually be able to talk him out of it.

So all in all, it wasn't a terrible episode and wasn't a complete throwaway - it was just a more subtle and nuanced story.  When we have slower setup episodes like this, what usually saves them is great emotional/redemptive character stories.  This one was just okay, from a character standpoint, which is why I give it a 7.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 04:49:24 AM »
I think the harsh reaction is based on how well people liked the previous episode.

If it wasn't for the windows 7 commericals I would have rated it a 5 or a 3. I agree with  Laklost. I didn't like this episode. The previous one wasn't a major factor in my rating.

I take into account every episode of Lost in my ratings, not just the previous one. I feel that I should have 10s and 1s if I am being honest in my rating.
I rank them based on how good they are. This was a below average episode. Sawyer didn't appear to be Sawyer in either the alt or on the island.