Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 4257 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Mirrors
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »
I'm very interested in the meaning of the mirrors in the sidetime.

I remember:
LAX - Jack looks in the mirror in the plane.
What Kate does - Kate looks in the mirror at the mecanic's place.
The substitute - Locke looks in the round shavingmirror.
The lighthouse - Jack looks in the mirror to his appendixwound and the mirror in David's room and the mirrors of the lighthouse.
Dr. Linus - Ben's reflection in the microwavewindow.
Recon - Sawyer looks in a mirror.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
http://mirrormattermoon.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-12-06T12%3A07%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=1

That's a nice little theory. Has a nice thought on WHAT the island might be. I posted it in theories, but Take a look at the Mirror tie in

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
When I saw the mirror with Sawyer this week, I knew it was getting smashed. I did a little mental countdown. 5...4...3...2..1..SMASH. Finally I was right about 1 thing. lol

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »
Jack and Sawyer are even.  They've both smashed a mirror.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
http://mirrormattermoon.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-12-06T12%3A07%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=1

That's a nice little theory. Has a nice thought on WHAT the island might be. I posted it in theories, but Take a look at the Mirror tie in

that is good theory well thought out and sometimes a mirror is just a reflection ;)

It was another 7 years bad luck! 

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »

Wow, thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that site before.  I think this is more in line with where I'm thinking the story may be headed.  I also noticed as I watched the episode again last night that everyone in their sideways storylines was looking at their reflection and in some cases like Jack's noticing changes, possibly foretelling that what happens on the island will ultimately affect their sideways lives as well. 

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »
There was a really good point in there about whoever said "help me" in the cabin. They alluded to it being MIB trying to manifest himself as a person within the circle of ash but couldn't. This could explain why we see Smokey around the island in the first seasons. What I'm thinking is that Jacob trapped MIB in the cabin and surrounded it in ash knowing that this would make it impossible for MIB to take a human form. Now we all know that Smokey can't pass through the ash and I'm not sure how the ash ring was broken (this person said maybe it was Claire and I actually like that) but after it was, Smokey was able to get in. All this leads me to believe that MIB was split into two parts. One part was Smokey and the other was his "soul", for lack of a better term, that was trapped in the cabin. He needed both parts together to be able to take on a human form.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
But Ilana went to the cabin to find Jacob and she found a piece of Jacob's tapestry pinned on the wall
with Jacob's knife telling her where he went to.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 04:21:13 PM »
But Ilana went to the cabin to find Jacob and she found a piece of Jacob's tapestry pinned on the wall

But she also said he hadn't been there in a long time. And that someone else had been using it.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
In Sayid's side-flash, he looked at his reflection in the window next to Nadia's front door.

My personal theory is that it's further enforcing the idea of the alternate timeline.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »

But she also said he hadn't been there in a long time. And that someone else had been using it.

What is a long time if the cabin only exists since 1992 when Horace build it?
Ilana saw that the ashcircle was broken begin 2008.

If MIB was trapped there who took a piece of Jacob's tapestry from the foot of the statue and took Jacob's knife
to show Ilana's team where to go? Jacob must have been there some time between the purge (1992) and when
Ilana found the cabin in 2008. Why would she go looking for him there?
Or did she go there to see if MIB was still trapped to be sure that the one who took Locke's form was him and Jacob put the tapestry there to warn her that MIB will be heading to the statue?
But than how did MIB appear as smoke, as Christian or (if you are not sure that Christian is MIB) as Yemi before Locke went to the cabin and the ghost there asked for help?

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:13:38 AM »
There was a really good point in there about whoever said "help me" in the cabin. They alluded to it being MIB trying to manifest himself as a person within the circle of ash but couldn't. This could explain why we see Smokey around the island in the first seasons. What I'm thinking is that Jacob trapped MIB in the cabin and surrounded it in ash knowing that this would make it impossible for MIB to take a human form. Now we all know that Smokey can't pass through the ash and I'm not sure how the ash ring was broken (this person said maybe it was Claire and I actually like that) but after it was, Smokey was able to get in. All this leads me to believe that MIB was split into two parts. One part was Smokey and the other was his "soul", for lack of a better term, that was trapped in the cabin. He needed both parts together to be able to take on a human form.

I just wrote something about this on the MIB/Christian thread because I'm trying to figure out who was actually in the cabin.  That's an interesting thought that the MIB couldn't materialize in human form because of the ash and that he needed both parts of himself to do it.  Have to think on it some more. 

The more I think of it I'd have to say it was MIB trapped in the cabin and not Jacob as I had always thought.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »

What is a long time if the cabin only exists since 1992 when Horace build it?
Ilana saw that the ashcircle was broken begin 2008.

If MIB was trapped there who took a piece of Jacob's tapestry from the foot of the statue and took Jacob's knife
to show Ilana's team where to go? Jacob must have been there some time between the purge (1992) and when
Ilana found the cabin in 2008. Why would she go looking for him there?
Or did she go there to see if MIB was still trapped to be sure that the one who took Locke's form was him and Jacob put the tapestry there to warn her that MIB will be heading to the statue?
But than how did MIB appear as smoke, as Christian or (if you are not sure that Christian is MIB) as Yemi before Locke went to the cabin and the ghost there asked for help?

Thats a good explanation actually. What if Smokey could appear as people but couldn't interact with anything. Could explain why he could project Christian or Yemi but could only take Locke's physical form once both pieces were together. As Christian he told Locke in the Donkey Wheel room that he couldn't help him. Like, he couldn't because he was only an image and couldn't touch or be touched physically. But now, as Locke, he can obviously interact with people and things. I dunno, I'm beginning to think we're not going to get explanations for things like this so we might as well try to make sense of it ourselves.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 07:03:19 AM »
As Christian he hold little Aaron in his arms when he went to get Claire and
in the cave he took a light from the wall and lighted it, he took the picture of the 1977 recruits to show to Sun.

I think he didn't help Locke, because like they are not allowed to kill the candidates, they are also not allowed
to help them pysically, they can only try to guide them, to con them into believing that they are making the choice, when in fact they are being manipulated. (The thing Ben does and Sawyer does and everyone in Lost does).
But that is in contrast with MIB helping Sawyer when he falls from the stairs and Jacob touching everybody.

So, I really still don't know if the ghost in the cabin that spoke to Locke was Jacob or MIB. Seems like they both needed help from Locke.
Jacob wanted him to save the island and become the next Jacob, MIB wanted him to die and become his body.
I think Christian in the cabin was MIB, he told Locke to move the island and when Locke got to the wheel he told him he had to die.
But was that the same ghost who asked for help?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
I'm still sticking to it being MIB in the cabin personally. And Christian wasn't the one who told Locke he would have to die. Fake Locke did. Well, Fake Locke told Richard to tell real Locke.