Author Topic: Flocke's crazy mother  (Read 9087 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Flocke's crazy mother
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
I think we're kind of overlooking something that I didn't realize until right now. Locke didn't realize until later in life that his mother was crazy, and the way he told that story made it seem (at least to me it seemed like this) like he had to deal with a crazy mother as a child. So if that's the case, then MIB has to be talking about his mother, and not using Locke's memories to talk about Locke's mother.

Offline LovDom

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
I think he's just playing Kate. Everyone tells on the shows tells stories that aren't true to accomplish things.
"I know how you feel, I've been there."

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
And "take care of Claire 'cause we both don't want Aaron to have a crazy mother."  Because then he might become evil incarnate too.

Offline AloeSPF80

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »
I keep going back to the theory of MIB and Jacob being brothers, similar to the story of Cain and Abel.  IF our Adam and Eve are indeed a pair of our Losties sent back in time (as even Hurley has suggested) wouldn't they be a little "off their rocker" after going through everything we've seen AND being sent WAY back in time to start over?

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
I think we're kind of overlooking something that I didn't realize until right now. Locke didn't realize until later in life that his mother was crazy, and the way he told that story made it seem (at least to me it seemed like this) like he had to deal with a crazy mother as a child. So if that's the case, then MIB has to be talking about his mother, and not using Locke's memories to talk about Locke's mother.
Locke grew up in foster homes.  A lot of them, because his mother couldn't take care of him.  He had a lot to deal with.  As far as who Smokey used to be, I think he didn't start out as human.  The ancient tapestries show people bowing down to what appears to be a smoke monster.  I think he learned how to assume human form, but that the characteristics of the person whose form he takes influence him.  He knows what they knew, feels what they felt, learns what they learned.  He becomes like them.  He's evolving the way mankind is evolving into a more enlightened race.  He's becoming more human.  That's what I think, anyway.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »
Locke grew up in foster homes.  A lot of them, because his mother couldn't take care of him.  He had a lot to deal with.  As far as who Smokey used to be, I think he didn't start out as human.  The ancient tapestries show people bowing down to what appears to be a smoke monster.  I think he learned how to assume human form, but that the characteristics of the person whose form he takes influence him.  He knows what they knew, feels what they felt, learns what they learned.  He becomes like them.  He's evolving the way mankind is evolving into a more enlightened race.  He's becoming more human.  That's what I think, anyway.

And while that is a good point, I don't think they would have told Locke that his mother couldn't take care of him because she was crazy, so I still think it stands to reason that MIB was actually the person talking there. As for him never being human?? Well, if we are talking about the children of Adam and eve here, then technically they have to be human, some of the first humans in existance. But we shall see SOL.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
Locke said he once was human -
This is the conversation between Locke and Emily - his Mom - and really who was the father? 
[Locke manages to get up and continues following Emily.]

LOCKE: Hey, hey, hey. Why are you following me?

EMILY: I'm sorry.

LOCKE: Who are you?

EMILY: I'm your mother.

[Shot of Locke and Emily in a diner.]

LOCKE: Look, miss, I don't know why you think I'm your son, or how you found me, but...

EMILY: You're adopted, aren't you?

LOCKE: No. No, I was raised in a foster home. Well, several foster homes, actually. Look, I don't mean to be rude -- what do you want from me?

EMILY: I want to tell you that you're special, very special. You're part of a design. You do realize that, don't you? That our meeting, me finding you, this is a sign of things to come. Great things.

LOCKE: My father, is he still alive?

EMILY: Still alive? Oh, John, don't you understand? You don't have a father. You were immaculately conceived.

This has always bothered me all of these seasons.  If you think about it was Locke's Mom the real Locke crazy cause of what she knows?  Why her son was born and what he neee to do?

Offline musicotb

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
I've seen theories that MIB may actually be Faraday, and his "crazy mother" is Eloise Hawking... not sure I buy that.

What if MIB is Aaron, gone back in time, and MIB is trying to change the past by getting Kate to raise him instead of his crazy mother, Claire?

Um, yeah, probably just another dumb theory, but it IS Lost so I'm throwing it out there.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »

And while that is a good point, I don't think they would have told Locke that his mother couldn't take care of him because she was crazy, so I still think it stands to reason that MIB was actually the person talking there. As for him never being human?? Well, if we are talking about the children of Adam and eve here, then technically they have to be human, some of the first humans in existance. But we shall see SOL.

So could the Adam and Eve in the cave be Smokey's real parents? I wonder how long their skeletons have been there.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
I took it as the crazy mother was MIB's, not Locke's. UnLocke says something like, "Before I looked like this," while gesturing to his Locke form, "I had a crazy mother...."

I'm hoping we find out who MIB and Jacab are sooner than later. Several times MIB has pointed out that he is a person, not an "it" or "monster," -- or at least a "who."

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 02:13:55 AM »
I took it as the crazy mother was MIB's, not Locke's. UnLocke says something like, "Before I looked like this," while gesturing to his Locke form, "I had a crazy mother...."

I'm hoping we find out who MIB and Jacab are sooner than later. Several times MIB has pointed out that he is a person, not an "it" or "monster," -- or at least a "who."
He has certainly said that he used to be a man, but I think he's confused.  I think the Smoke Monster is older than man, but because he has assumed the memories of so many people down through the ages he now believes that he used to be human.  I think his knowledge of what it's like to be human is second-hand.  His earliest memories are of being human, but those memories belong to the people whose identities he has assumed.  They are not his own experiences.  He doesn't remember being created.  (My earliest memories are of being a toddler.  I don't remember being born.)
I see his past as a chicken and the egg conundrum.  Which came first?  Smoke or flesh?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
Locke has a crazy Mother
MIB had a crazy mother, so he said - not sure I believe all he says
Claire is a crazy mother -

No MIB was a man we saw him on the island with Jacob so not sure but that was over a 140 years ago (not sure where I read that but I read it someplace and I am not saying it is 100% accurate)  But he was flesh with Jacob.

So I am going to say at some point he became the smoke monster.  What he absorbed after that time was for whatever great purpose he has in mind.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »

He has certainly said that he used to be a man, but I think he's confused.  I think the Smoke Monster is older than man, but because he has assumed the memories of so many people down through the ages he now believes that he used to be human.  I think his knowledge of what it's like to be human is second-hand.  His earliest memories are of being human, but those memories belong to the people whose identities he has assumed.  They are not his own experiences.  He doesn't remember being created.  (My earliest memories are of being a toddler.  I don't remember being born.)
I see his past as a chicken and the egg conundrum.  Which came first?  Smoke or flesh?

You might be right. We don't know for sure that the man we saw in last season finale is Smokey's only other avatar. There could have been hundreds of people before and after the guy in the black shirt, so maybe Smokey's memories are mixed with their memories. 'Don't tell me what I can't do', 'crazy mom', seem to imply that there is still a part of Locke inside him.

On the other hand, what if the MIB hasn't always been Smokey but a normal person, and he was 'trapped' not inside the cabin, but inside Smokey, finally getting out through the death of John Locke (even though he can still assume smoke form)? Yes, he did say 'I am the smoke monster', but he also said 'I used to be a man'. That would explain his deep hatred for Jacob, who might have turned him into 'judge of the island' and 'security system', a role he was forced to take.

If you liked my political system comparison to Lost's island rules, it would make sense that the legislative (Jacob) may have the power to appoint the Judiciary (Smokey), even though in USA it would need to have the Government (The Others) included in the process.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Locke has a crazy Mother

No MIB was a man we saw him on the island with Jacob so not sure but that was over a 140 years ago (not sure where I read that but I read it someplace and I am not saying it is 100% accurate)  But he was flesh with Jacob.

So I am going to say at some point he became the smoke monster.  What he absorbed after that time was for whatever great purpose he has in mind.
MIB may be 140 years old, but Smokie is older than that.  He appears in the ancient Egyptian drawings we saw earlier.  In this drawing he appears to be meeting with Annubis:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090409155821/lostpedia/images/f/f9/MonsterImage.jpg

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 11:40:08 PM »
Locke has a crazy Mother

MIB may be 140 years old, but Smokie is older than that.  He appears in the ancient Egyptian drawings we saw earlier.  In this drawing he appears to be meeting with Annubis:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090409155821/lostpedia/images/f/f9/MonsterImage.jpg

BUT wait Smokey may be in the imges that does not mean that the man sitting with Jacob dates back to that time, maybe but I am just saying.   We do not know why he became smokey.  Unless and I ll go this far to say that if Smokey was around for a long long time then he was using bodies all along.  so that opens up a totally different conversation. One I am not sure is valid but none th eless if in fact smokey kept taking over bodies since Egyptian times then this is a good one.