Author Topic: Flash Sideways are about Redemption  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Flash Sideways are about Redemption
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »
This episode reinforced the concept (to me) that the flash sideways are about redemption.  In every episode we've seen, the flash sideways deals with one of the Losties going against their known grain to try and do the right thing.  (Kate selflessly caring for Claire, Locke letting other help him, Jack breaking the daddy issues cycle, Ben trying to do right by Alex, and Sawyer being a cop.)  I don't know how this will tie back to the island story, but I have faith that it will.  That said, I would love thoughts / ideas / suggestions on how this theme might be tied back to the island story.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Flash Sideways are about Redemption
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:02:03 AM »
Sayid didn't seem to find much redemption in his flash sideways episode lol.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
I don't know... he tried to do the right thing.  Even when he was asked to step in by his brother, he said he wasn't doing "that" anymore.  He didn't get involved until he was kidnapped and threatened with his life (at which point, he wasn't doing his old thing... he was just protecting himself).

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »
I also think that, as of right now, the flash sideways is illustrating the difference between destiny and free will.  Different choices are being made and it significantly changes their lives, but some things just won't change.  Ben still has a relationship with Alex, Sawyer and Miles are still partners, Kate is still there to help Clair with the birth of Aaron.  This makes me think that these similar events are going to be of massive importance to how the story unfolds on the island.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »
I think that the people who are following Jacob are finding redemption.  I think the people who are following MIB are getting what he can give - a counterfeit of redemption.  He's giving them what they say they want but he can't get rid of their darker impulses.  That's why Sayid is still a killer, Kate is still a criminal and Sawyer is a lonely wretch with revenge to fuel him.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
I think that the people who are following Jacob are finding redemption.  I think the people who are following MIB are getting what he can give - a counterfeit of redemption.  He's giving them what they say they want but he can't get rid of their darker impulses.  That's why Sayid is still a killer, Kate is still a criminal and Sawyer is a lonely wretch with revenge to fuel him.

YES! I agree 100%

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »

YES! I agree 100%

I really like this too.  I think I'm jumping on this band wagon.

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
Good theory, although I think we are just seeing their lives without the island having been involved as it had been before (Flight 815 crash).  
So, what appears to be a "different/redeemed" life for all of them is actually just a spot on an alternate timeline that will ultimately bring them all back together again. I think that Miles being Sawyer's partner is evidence of the course correction that is occuring, and which will always occur. Whereas the rest of the Losties having run into each other on the plane is the same as it was in the original timeline, and makes a certain amount of sense, having Miles and Charlotte thrown directly into Sawyer's "alternate" life suggests to me that we're just watching events before another big course correction occurs.  And, notice, although roles have appeared to change a little, the people themselves are still the same in one way or another.  When you break it down, a Sawyer with a "sentimental" heart as a cop is still no different than a Sawyer with a "sentimental" heart who is a con man. He's still the same person inside regardless of the day-to-day choices he makes, and regardless of what his profession is. The person in both roles still has the same values and will ultimately arrive at the same conclusions in life, no matter what (or how different) their choices are in the lives they lead.

It's the same as Desmond having been given an alternate reality a few seasons ago, where he chose to go and buy the ring instead of enlisting in the military. Eloise was the one to point out the course correction. So it doesn't matter what any of the Losties do in the alternate reality. They'll still all end up on the island again.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:02:52 PM »
Holland, I like where you are going on this. It seems they are giving us clues that the sideflashes are something other than a simple timeline split in 1977. (Unless like you said in a different thread that the Incident actually had an effect on things that happened before 1977 because of the time travelers).

This whole redemption theme reminded me of the song that Sawyer was singing on the raft waaaayyyy back in Season 1....Bob Marley's Redemption Song.