Author Topic: Sawyer a Cop  (Read 8292 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Sawyer a Cop
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »
Well, Palm Springs is in Fla, and I'm sure that a flight coming in from Australia isn't using the same gate as a flight coming in from Florida, so the only reasonable conclusion is that Sawyer didn't want to have to explain what he was doing in the international gates when he was suppossed to be coming back from Florida.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 07:30:50 PM »
Palm Springs is also in California.  It's less than three hours from LA by car. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Palm Springs is also in California.  It's less than three hours from LA by car. 

True, but if he was at the airport, the reasonable conclussion is that he flew to Florida. But then again, he probably never planned on Miles finding out about him flying anywhere, so I guess it doesn't matter which one he went to. Unless he was going to use Florida as an excuse if someone questioned him about why he was at the airport. But then again, all of this is moot because his lie has been uncovered.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »
He was at the airport because he flew to Australia.  Miles didn't know about the trip to Australia until he got suspicious and did some checking.  I looked up Palm Springs, Fl on the internet.  Why would anyone go there for a short trip?  Palm Springs, CA, on the other hand, is a very popular weekend retreat for folks living in Southern Ca.  It's a resort area with many tourist attractions.  The main source of income for the town is tourism.  I say the Palm Springs he didn't go to was the one in CA.  (I'm kidding.  He didn't go to either one.)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 01:23:15 AM »
He was at the airport because he flew to Australia.  Miles didn't know about the trip to Australia until he got suspicious and did some checking.  I looked up Palm Springs, Fl on the internet.  Why would anyone go there for a short trip?  Palm Springs, CA, on the other hand, is a very popular weekend retreat for folks living in Southern Ca.  It's a resort area with many tourist attractions.  The main source of income for the town is tourism.  I say the Palm Springs he didn't go to was the one in CA.  (I'm kidding.  He didn't go to either one.)

Oh, I know that he was there because he went to Australia, I was just thinking what his reasoning for not arresting Kate would be, and what he would use as an excuse if someone asked why he was at the airport, because obviously he wanted to keep that a secret.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:20 AM »
Um, isn't it unethical (not to mention probably against the law) for cops to have sex with their suspects? lol

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 05:04:13 AM »
Um, isn't it unethical (not to mention probably against the law) for cops to have sex with their suspects? lol
It's absolutely against regulations and no prosecutor worth his salt would take a case to trial with evidence obtained in that way.  It's considered outrageous conduct.  It happens a lot on tv and in the movies, but real people don't act like that.  I don't know why I'm on such a tear lately.  I love this show. 

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 05:08:57 AM »
Oh, I know that he was there because he went to Australia, I was just thinking what his reasoning for not arresting Kate would be, and what he would use as an excuse if someone asked why he was at the airport, because obviously he wanted to keep that a secret.
I'm wondering why Miles was so suspicious of him.  What a control freak!  What Sawyer does on his own time is his own business.  He doesn't need an excuse to be at the airport.  I also wonder why Sawyer helped Kate escape.  That doesn't make any sense at all. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »
I'm wondering why Miles was so suspicious of him.  What a control freak!  What Sawyer does on his own time is his own business.  He doesn't need an excuse to be at the airport.  I also wonder why Sawyer helped Kate escape.  That doesn't make any sense at all. 

That's what I have been saying SOL. He didn't arrest her, because he didn't want to have to explain what he was doing at the airport.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
There's a difference between not arresting her and helping her escape.  I understand why he didn't arrest her.  I don't understand why he made sure airport security didn't arrest her.  Why did he want her to escape?  Why did he protect her from airport security?  As for having to explain why he was at the airport, he doesn't have to explain that.  To anyone.  Even if he arrested her, he doesn't have to explain why he was there.  If you have a right to be where you are, you don't have to explain it to anyone.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:32 PM »

If you are deep undercover (no pun intended) then you can do alot of things that could be considered "unethical". I know of undercover agents that infiltrated gangs that had to do illegal drugs or their covers would be blown.

At the same time, Sawyer seems he would be one of those tv cops that gets chewed out in the captains office for breaking some regulation or destroying public property or something else you'd see in a movie like Lethal Weapon.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »

If you are deep undercover (no pun intended) then you can do alot of things that could be considered "unethical". I know of undercover agents that infiltrated gangs that had to do illegal drugs or their covers would be blown.

At the same time, Sawyer seems he would be one of those tv cops that gets chewed out in the captains office for breaking some regulation or destroying public property or something else you'd see in a movie like Lethal Weapon.
Sawyer wasn't deep undercover.  If he had been the cops would have arrested him, too, just to preserve his cover.  I know of undercover officers who avoided doing drugs or alcohol by simply saying it's not their thing.  Saying no is always an option.  As for having sex with the subject of an investigation in a room that's bugged, the defense would have a field day with that.  Sawyer's conduct would be under intense scrutiny during the trial.  Juries don't let police misconduct slide.  At least not in LA.   

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
There's a difference between not arresting her and helping her escape.  I understand why he didn't arrest her.  I don't understand why he made sure airport security didn't arrest her.  Why did he want her to escape?  Why did he protect her from airport security?  As for having to explain why he was at the airport, he doesn't have to explain that.  To anyone.  Even if he arrested her, he doesn't have to explain why he was there.  If you have a right to be where you are, you don't have to explain it to anyone.

FINALLY!! Together we peeled enough layers of this onion. Okay, now that I understand what you're actually saying, LOL, yeah, he could have pointed out that there was a person running through the airport wearing handcuffs and never had to say he was a cop. Touch'e SOL, touch'e. I honestly thought we were going to be having this "arguement" ad infinitum.

As for the explaining his presence at the airport, I agree with you. He doesn't have to explain it, but I'm sure the whole Cooper thing was something he didn't want anyone to know about, and using the line of logic I was following, if he would have participated in the arrest of a person at the airport, then I'm sure a few people (his fellow LAPD officers, his partner at the very least) would have asked him what he was doing there. And maybe it's just me, but if I was going to vacation in a place three hours away (which I'm sure you and I are finally in agreement about that he was going to Palm springs in Cali.), I wouldn't bother with the hassle of going through airport security and what not.

Okay, I'm just glad I actually understand what you were saying. Sorry about all that.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »
No prob.  There used to be an airline that had hourly flights between LAX and Palm Springs, CA.  I think it was called SunAir.  It was great for me because I was bouncing back and forth between the two pretty much monthly.  Several times I was the only passenger on the plane.  They went out of business.  But I digress.  Someone on another thread said something that made me think that Sawyer, on some level, recognized Kate from their time together on the island in the same way that Jack recognized Desmond.  Just a vague feeling of familiarity.  Maybe that's why he helped her escape.  He had done it before "in another life".

Offline nejsitsol

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
No prob.  There used to be an airline that had hourly flights between LAX and Palm Springs, CA.  I think it was called SunAir.  It was great for me because I was bouncing back and forth between the two pretty much monthly.  Several times I was the only passenger on the plane.  They went out of business.  But I digress.  Someone on another thread said something that made me think that Sawyer, on some level, recognized Kate from their time together on the island in the same way that Jack recognized Desmond.  Just a vague feeling of familiarity.  Maybe that's why he helped her escape.  He had done it before "in another life".
Like a "deja vue" feeling?!?!