Author Topic: ELBA  (Read 1417 times)

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
ELBA
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »
sorry if this is part of another thread, but I just caught this and didn't have time to go thru them all. Ben writes this on the chalk board at the beginning of the episode.
ELBA backwards is ABLE... another Bible ref perhaps... not familiar with the whole story, but the brothers are Cane and Able, one good one bad. one kills the other I think.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: ELBA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
Was Ben explaining his own plight or MIB's with Napoleon's story?  If the Jacob/MIB story is a Cain/Abel story, then who is Cain & who is Abel?  My guess last week was that MIB's name may even be Abel.  (btw- the Bible spells it "Abel," but your point remains. :))

While the Quran has a similar story, the Biblical account is that Cain was a farmer & Abel was a shepherd (hmmm....any other "Shepherds" on the show?).  Both brothers brought God a sacrifice- the best of their crop/flock.  Abel's offering was accepted, but Cain's was rejected.  This drove Cain to hate & murder his brother.

I agree that this is probably being discussed elsewhere & may even end up being merged. lol  I'm a week behind, too! 

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:43 PM »
Able was I ere I saw Elba.  Famous palindrome. 

Abel made a meat offering and Cain offered produce.  God approved of the one, but not the other.  Cain was jealous so he killed his brother.  When God asked him where his brother is Cain said "Am I my brother's keeper?"  And God said "What have you done?  Your brother's blood cries out to my from the ground."  (I just mention this because a lot of people quote Cain's smart aleck remark without remembering what God's response was.   Or the circumstances.)

I like the notion of Jacob and MIB being Cain and Abel, or at least similar to them.  It also links up to the Adam and Eve angle.  Good ideas here!

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
yeah - realized it was spelled abel after I wrote this... any how, perhaps a little tid bit none the less