8 (32%)
Team Smokey
3 (12%)
Out for himself
14 (56%)
Other (explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Widmore = Team Jacob or Team Smokey?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Widmore = Team Jacob or Team Smokey?
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
He has been hellbent on getting back to the Island, and he knew about the war coming.

so...

btw, where the hell is Eloise?

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Widmore = Team Jacob or Team Smokey?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »
He's not on team Jacob.  I mean, as far as he'd be concerned, Jacob let Ben banish him.

He's also not on team Smokey.  Smokey had no problems playing shake, rattle n' roll with Widmore's mercenaries at Ben's behest.  If Smokey were on his side, he'd have been working with the Mercs. 

I think Widmore is on no one's side but his own.  Remember that scene when Ben comes into his bedchamber, he says something like "That Island is mine, Benjamin.  It always was".  His Island.  Not Jacob's.  Not Smokey's.  His.  He wants to control the island himself.

At least that's how I see it. 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Uh, Eloise is in the little girls' room.  A lady her age would need to visit a lot during a sub ride.

This poll is actually one of the most interesting questions right now.

I'm thinking he's on Jacob's side.  He still considers himself an island protector.  His beef is with Ben who ousted him.  Somehow their conflict seems small compared to Jacob's and MIB's.  But I think the two sets of opponents are going to use each other to duke it out.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
I voted he's out for himself.  He was a follower of Jacob's, presumably, in his early years on the island.  He was later banished, under Jacob's reign, for having an off-island affair that resulted in a baby.  He's mad at Jacob, and at Ben, and at the island.  When he showed up with the freighter folk his intention was to capture Ben and destroy the island and everything on it.  So he's not on Team Jacob.  We haven't been given any indication that he ever met Smokie or MIB.  He may know the Smoke Monster exists, but not realize that there's a man behind the smoke.  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
He's not on team Jacob.  I mean, as far as he'd be concerned, Jacob let Ben banish him.

He's also not on team Smokey.  Smokey had no problems playing shake, rattle n' roll with Widmore's mercenaries at Ben's behest.  If Smokey were on his side, he'd have been working with the Mercs. 

I think Widmore is on no one's side but his own.  Remember that scene when Ben comes into his bedchamber, he says something like "That Island is mine, Benjamin.  It always was".  His Island.  Not Jacob's.  Not Smokey's.  His.  He wants to control the island himself.

At least that's how I see it. 

I agree completely.  That line and the fact that we're coming to the end tells me that Widmore wasn't just a pawn for Jacob when he led the other's and he isn't a pawn for MIB now, either.  Think about it.  As Jacob lay dying, he says 'They're coming'.  I saw in that scene (I may be wrong) that he didn't look 'victorious', as in "you may have killed me, but my replacement is coming" but he, and for a second or two, MIB, looked concerned about this new arrival.  Now, although Jacob is supposedly dead, MIB is gearing up for a war.  If he had just killed the most powerful being on the island, would he be worried about the return of a former pawn for that being?  I don't think so and he wouldn't be too concerned about battling the remains of the losties who support Jacob either.  Widmore must be the threat and he must be coming back with more than just resentment for being exiled. 

I'm really getting excited about the show right now, because for the first time, I don't have a solid gut feeling about what is going on and I have no clue what's going to happen next.  I just hope this doesn't end like so many of Stephen King's later novels with a big fizzle for a climax!

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
I think I said this in another thread, but I think that from what we have seen from Widmore so far he is definitely out for himself. He has also stated that he wants to save the island(i think). Widmore seems to be all about the power(like Ben) so I picked himself.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »
Widmore is probably out for himself. After all he wanted Ben captured and everyone on the island killed.
We know that wouldn't have killed Richard, and  maybe not the candidates.

Ben killed Locke, not Widmore. Smokey needed Locke's dead body.

Therefore I don't think Widmore is on Team Smokey. He could still be working for Jacob, but who knows what he's been through.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Uh, Eloise is in the little girls' room.  A lady her age would need to visit a lot during a sub ride.

I'm thinking he's on Jacob's side.  He still considers himself an island protector.  His beef is with Ben who ousted him.  Somehow their conflict seems small compared to Jacob's and MIB's.  But I think the two sets of opponents are going to use each other to duke it out.

Agree with everything other than the slam on old ladies.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
Is Widmore the one that Jacob told Hurley would find the island okay even without the lighthouse?  Or is there another one coming.?

Because if he's the one that Jacob wanted to be led to the island, wouldn't that make it seem like Jacob WANTS him there, thus he's on Jacob's side?

I only ask because I get the feeling that Widmore is out for himself, as well.  But the above situation makes me wonder...unless there is still someone that Jacob wants, and we haven't been shown him yet...Desmond!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »

Agree with everything other than the slam on old ladies.

Whoa!  I am totally an old lady - and would never survive a sub trip for a million reasons.  No slam intended!

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »

Thanks, BL.
I Agree, Agree, Agree...
Is Widmore the one that Jacob told Hurley would find the island okay even without the lighthouse?  Or is there another one coming.?

Because if he's the one that Jacob wanted to be led to the island, wouldn't that make it seem like Jacob WANTS him there, thus he's on Jacob's side?

I only ask because I get the feeling that Widmore is out for himself, as well.  But the above situation makes me wonder...unless there is still someone that Jacob wants, and we haven't been shown him yet...Desmond!

Agreed!
I think Dez is going to save Jack and our "good guys" and be the key to this war...
Only time (11 hrs to be exact) will tell.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:56:13 PM by Numbers Junkie »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
I think Widmore is in team Jacob, because he told Locke that Ben Linus tricked him off the island
and that the others are still his people and he wanted Locke to protect them.
Also Locke didn't shoot Widmore in 1954, because he said it was one of his people.

But I think Hawking is in MIB's team, because she knew Locke was going to be a substitute.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »

I tend to agree that Widmore is out for his own.  I would tend to say that his banishment was not due to Jacob, but it was Ben's manipulations.  He used the rules.  Widmore in the 50's knew this island like the back of his hand.  He and Hawkings are pretty in-tune to what was going on till recently.  And if he knows Jacob then he knows about MIB he was a leader at one point and he was in the "know"so to speak.  But these will be revelead soon enough, well at least I hope so!

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
The one thing I can add to this discussion is that in Some Like it Hoth last season we saw Miles get pulled into a van with Brahm and the rest of Jacob's bodyguards, and Brahm tells Miles that by taking Widmore's $1.6 Million and going to the Island on the freighter he is playing for the wrong team, or something.  So this tells me Jacob's "team" was anti-Widmore as of 2004.

But I have a feeling the 2007 Widmore is a little different than the 2004 Widmore.  He's out for himself, but I'm not sure that necessarily means the same thing that it did back then.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
Good point E.S.B. and could that be because Widmore was out to get Ben and torch the island at any cost?  Though Widmore's comment proceed to the original course or point makes me wonder if he is not heading to the Hydra Island.  And his comment to John Locke before he is "Smoked" you ned to be there, does that just mean that Widmore knows that certain people have to be there at this time for things to play out?

Good thougth and great input! ;D