Author Topic: Why Smokey picked Locke  (Read 5377 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Why Smokey picked Locke
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
Hey guys, didn't know if this fits in with this episode, but I guess why the hell not?? So anyway, I was posting in another thread, and this started coming out of my head...

...Now we are assuming that Locke was dead when he hit the ground after being thrown out of the building, but what if that isn't the case?? Maybe he was alive and just blacked out/unconcious and snapped out of it when Jacob touched him. I personally think he was dead, and Jacob "Lazerus man-ed" him, but the possibility is always there...

Now like I said in that post, I believe that Locke was kaput once he hit the ground, so it sort of just popped into my head, that maybe this is why Smokey had to take Locke's form. He died and was brought back to life by Jacob. Because he was "already dead", Smokey could take his shape, but because he was brought back to life previously, Smokey couldn't take away the body.

If this has been already brought up, let me know, because I feel so smart right now, and there is nothing worse than a false sense of superiority.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why Smokey picked Locke
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
Bob, I'm saying this not to argue with you, but hold this idea up next to yours. My read on the situation is that Locke was broken, not killed, by his fall out the window.  Jacob blessed his disability.  He put a hold or a deposit on him so that when Locke came to the island, the seat of Jacob's power, Locke would be healed.  Apparently Jacob was incapable of healing any of the people he touched WITHOUT them coming to the island - where his power is available. 

Then when Locke became well on the island, he was willing to attribute his healing to Jacob.  THAT is why MIB stole him - because Locke was Jacob's greatest prize, or at least his most likely replacement.  My take on MIB is that he is a counterfeiter.  He stole Locke's body.  I think he even stole Locke through Ben manipulating the O6 to come back.  Ben was doing it for his own reasons, the O6 all came back for their own reasons (all of which we have been shown), and MIB intercepted them. 

I am going to go a step further.  I think the fact that Christian's shoes got placed on Locke's corpse is another hold on him.  Jacob can still access Locke because Jack used what little faith he had to follow Eloise's orders and get those shoes on Christian.  If I'm wrong about that, and Christian is actually MIB's man (which it certainly seems at this point), then I would point at the shoes for the opposite effect - that was the way MIB was able to claim Jacob's man, Locke.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
Bob, I'm saying this not to argue with you, but hold this idea up next to yours. My read on the situation is that Locke was broken, not killed, by his fall out the window.  Jacob blessed his disability.  He put a hold or a deposit on him so that when Locke came to the island, the seat of Jacob's power, Locke would be healed.  Apparently Jacob was incapable of healing any of the people he touched WITHOUT them coming to the island - where his power is available. 

Then when Locke became well on the island, he was willing to attribute his healing to Jacob.  THAT is why MIB stole him - because Locke was Jacob's greatest prize, or at least his most likely replacement.  My take on MIB is that he is a counterfeiter.  He stole Locke's body.  I think he even stole Locke through Ben manipulating the O6 to come back.  Ben was doing it for his own reasons, the O6 all came back for their own reasons (all of which we have been shown), and MIB intercepted them. 

I am going to go a step further.  I think the fact that Christian's shoes got placed on Locke's corpse is another hold on him.  Jacob can still access Locke because Jack used what little faith he had to follow Eloise's orders and get those shoes on Christian.  If I'm wrong about that, and Christian is actually MIB's man (which it certainly seems at this point), then I would point at the shoes for the opposite effect - that was the way MIB was able to claim Jacob's man, Locke.

Okay. I see what you're saying there. Interesting.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
The key moments are definitely Locke'sfall out the window and Jacob's touch, the landing on the island, the shoes, and the reentry to the island.  I think those moments will all be qualified before the end.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
The key moments are definitely Locke'sfall out the window and Jacob's touch, the landing on the island, the shoes, and the reentry to the island.  I think those moments will all be qualified before the end.

I was thinking/still thinking that the re-entry might be important because it is the only time that Locke was in two places at the same time (FDW and in the Ajira flight). At least that's my take on it. I think I'm alone in that thought though.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
BenLakie...I am REALLY liking your theory.

I don't think that Locke was dead when he fell, but I think he WOULD HAVE died had he not be "touched" by Jacob.  And then when he ended up on the island (Jacob's Seat of Power -- GREAT use of verbage!), he was fully healed (at least physically).

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »
The thing with all of this that I think counters it is that Rose was not, as far as we know, touched by Jacob, and yet her cancer was cured once she came to the island.  I think Jacob's touching of Locke is important for some other reason, but is not directly related to Locke's paralysis being cured when 815 crashed.

As to why Smokey chose Locke...  I guess it really would depend on just how long Smokey has been manipulating him, though I think it dates back at least as far as when Locke encountered the smoke monster and later commented "I looked into the eye of the island, and it was beautiful".  I think that as much as anything set Locke into his mystic / spiritual relationship with the island (though the curing of his paralysis - that could have been smokey too - was at least as responsible).  And I think that Smokey probably needed someone who was the most susceptible to being enchanted by the island - Locke was that person because of his paralysis, and how he must have regarded it to be miraculous that he could suddenly walk again on this island. 

I guess its not 100% clear to me because looking back at the on island happenings on the show, I'm trying to figure out exactly what events Smokey manipulated and its not totally clear which events those were.  Of course, once Smokey assumed Ben's form that was definetly him manipulating Ben.  And I think Christian has been somehow related to Smokey since the beginning, and Christian certainly manipulated Locke into leaving the island, and manipulated Jack to come back.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
I'm almost scared to say it, but I think he choose Locke, because he was the only one he could talk to into dying for the island.
No other would have willingly died out of faith.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »
I'm almost scared to say it, but I think he choose Locke, because he was the only one he could talk to into dying for the island.

Why are you almost scared tosay that?? LOL Sounds feasible.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 03:42:04 PM »

The way that opgelost has been getting slammed by mean folks in the forums lately, I can understand the reluctance!  Keep your ideas flowing, Opgelost! I love 'em.

I'd like to throw in the idea that every time we've seen Christian "alive" on the island, it has been the MIB. Is this taken as truth to everyone or just my theory? I can't tell.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
Thank you.
I too think that Christian is MIB, but it's not taken as truth.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

The way that opgelost has been getting slammed by mean folks in the forums lately, I can understand the reluctance!  Keep your ideas flowing, Opgelost! I love 'em.

I'd like to throw in the idea that every time we've seen Christian "alive" on the island, it has been the MIB. Is this taken as truth to everyone or just my theory? I can't tell.

Well, I'm kind of going by what Claire has said. She makes the distinction between "her friend" and "her father" so I'm thinking they are different until we are told, er, uh, differently.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
I do NOT think Christian has been working for MIB.  It's more of a sense than something I can prove.  If MIB has been after Jack, it's done a pitiful job of motivating him. 

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »

Well, I'm kind of going by what Claire has said. She makes the distinction between "her friend" and "her father" so I'm thinking they are different until we are told, er, uh, differently.

Bob (i wrote this a few times after the same thing has been asked) Claire was able to identify her father at the time as him because she was not under the influence of MIB.  When next we see Locke coming to the cabin, Claire all calm and drugged, Locke asks her where Aaron is and Christian replies he is where he needs to be away from here (or something to that extent)  then Locke asks Claire if she is okay and she replies I am with him.

This is very important because she never says my Dad or Christian just him.  And when she shows up and see Dogen she refers to him again as him.  So if it were Christian why would she not say, when Locke was there i am here with my Dad.  But she doesn't'.

Yes,  MIB had to use Christians body as he intercepted that when it landed on the island.  The only caveat would be if the body was not on that plane, like in LA X time.  If that is the case then Christian is another story.

I believe that Christian was Smokey for a certain amount of time. But funny how we have not seen him since he told Lapidus and Sun to wait there for John Locke.  Then there were posts about seeing smoke around the cabin when they came upon the old DI greeting station.  And if I am not mistaken that when Sun and Lapidus made it to shore the smoke monster was parting trees etc.

So at the end MIB used Christian

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
I do NOT think Christian has been working for MIB.  It's more of a sense than something I can prove.  If MIB has been after Jack, it's done a pitiful job of motivating him. 

I wonder if there are two Christians? How could Christian appear off the island if he was MIB?  ???
I could go either way, maybe he really is MIB or working for him, or maybe he is one of Jacob's ghosts.
Christian has been in his suit and he's appeared in casual clothes.

The bottom line is that no one should be made to feel bad if they have a different theory. We don't know what will happen and who is who right now. No one is wrong.