Author Topic: "If you're selected, you'll find out."  (Read 3327 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "If you're selected, you'll find out."
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain in this thread and say that the island doesn't choose and it's not quite fate.

I think the island developed it's own personality because we didn't know what had been causing/doing everything in previous seasons. It may have special magnetic powers, but aside from that, I don't think much else. (It does seem to be some kind of prison for the MIB though) We the viewers gave the island life. Now, several seasons later, we know who/what the smoke monster was and why dead people were seeming to come back to life; it was all MIB and Jacob, not the island itself.

I see the whole thing as a chess game between good and evil. There are indeed rules as to who can kill who, but Jacob and Flocke really stress the whole "free will" thing. They present a scenario or deal and always leave the choice up to the person. It was Ben's choice to kill Jacob. It was Sayid's choice to join Flocke. Ilana chose to follow Jacob. Dogen chose to follow Jacob and go to the island. Sure, Jacob and the MIB manipulate the person to suit their needs, but it all comes down to that person's free will in showing faith in either MIB/Flocke or Jacob.

If you go back to the famous beach conversation, MIB makes a comment, "still trying to prove me wrong?" as if he believes something about human nature and free will: "they come, they fight, they destroy, always ends the same" (or something like that) is his proof. Jacob seems to have faith in mankind and human nature, that this won't always happen.

Which brings me to the faith point.....So much is about having faith and believing in something. Look at Jack and Alpert in the Black Rock.

I don't think anyone (Jacob/MIB) knows who Jacob's replacement will be other than that it will be one of the six. They will all have their faith put to the test and that will determine who it will be.

Very well said and I don't think you're going against the grain here, at least not mine.  My feeling , as I stated, was that some of them may be eliminated by fate because they are destined to die in the coming weeks.  Of those that are left, the candidates will choose Jacob's replacement simply by one of them stepping up and proving him/herself worthy and the others showing their loyalty and support for that person.  I think we kind of agree here.

I wouldn't count Ben out just yet.  I believe there's still a chance he might be the one who replaces Jacob.  He means to atone for his sins, and that could make him the fiercest warrior of all.

I agree with you about Ben's heart being back in it and I think he will be an influential part of the ending, but I'm afraid he will atone for his sins and find redemption by sacrificing himself for the good of the island and the new leader.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
Just so I'm clear, is this thread about this dialogue exchange between Ilana and Sun??

ILANA: Trust me, if anyone wants to find him, it's me. But I don't know where to look.

SUN: Why do you want to find Jin?

ILANA: Because your last name is Kwon. So is his. And I don't know whether I'm supposed to protect you, him, or both of you.

SUN: Protect us? What are you talking about?

ILANA: You're candidates. To replace Jacob.

SUN: Replace him? To do what?

ILANA: If you're the one selected, I imagine you'll find out.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Linus_transcript

This short conversation brings up a bunch of questions:

* Does Kwon refer to Sun, Jin or both?  My guess is both of them (Jacob visited them together and touched them at the same time), but it won't matter in the end because it won't be either of them chosen.
* How will the candidate ultimately be 'selected'?  Again, my guess, The other candidates will either be killed off, or will remove themselves from the running by showing their support for the one who ultimately gets chosen.
* Who or what does the selecting? Fate (as to those who die) and the candidates themselves (as to those who remain) will prove who is most qualified.
* What exactly is the job description once the position is filled? Guardian and protector of the island, top gun, head cheese, Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler.....
* Who will be the chosen candidate? Jack.

we assume it won't be them because the show seems to center around Jack or Sawyer(even Hurley) more, but that might be what TPTB want us to think. They could throw us all a curve ball and one of the Kwons might be the "one"

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
This short conversation brings up a bunch of questions:

* How will the candidate ultimately be 'selected'?  Again, my guess, The other candidates will either be killed off, or will remove themselves from the running by showing their support for the one who ultimately gets chosen.
* Who or what does the selecting? Fate (as to those who die) and the candidates themselves (as to those who remain) will prove who is most qualified.

the candidate chooses himself
its like the navy SEALS or army Special Forces, its all volunteer, if the training is too tough for you, then all you have to do is walk away

but the candidate will be the person who chooses the island above all else
nothing can have higher priority than the island

Ben was so close by putting the island ahead of Alex and letting her get killed, but he blew it

By using this reasoning, wouldn't LOCKE be the ultimate candidate?  Too bad he sacrificed HIMSELF for the island.  The ULTIMATE sacrifice...hmmmm

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
nah, cause Locke was wishy washy
he only wanted the island when things were going his way
look how quickly he lost faith when he saw that other video and believed the button pushing was just a psychological experiment
he gave up, he was talked into quitting

he was too easily manipulated
he could be all gung ho for the island one day and all "its a lie, its useless" the next

you can't be "for the island" only when it looks like the island is "for you"
you have to be for the island even if you're presented with incontrovertible proof that its all a lie

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 08:22:42 AM »
I wonder how much Ilana knows and if she just didn't say this because she might not know more?