Author Topic: Widmore & the Black Rock Journal  (Read 4523 times)

Offline spencer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Widmore & the Black Rock Journal
« on: March 10, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Widmore bought the Black Rock Journal at an auction.
Is that how he found the island?

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Widmore & the Black Rock Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »
Or, Hawkings helped him find it. She was able to locate the island and put the Oceanic 6 (or, Oceanic 5, plus Ben) on the right plane. And we last saw her and Widmore outside the hospital talking about their son (Daniel). Maybe, maybe?

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »
Or, Hawkings helped him find it. She was able to locate the island and put the Oceanic 6 (or, Oceanic 5, plus Ben) on the right plane. And we last saw her and Widmore outside the hospital talking about their son (Daniel). Maybe, maybe?
I think since he knew that the O6 made it back to the Island that he could do the same thing, use the Lampost to find it.
I think he knew he had to see Locke come back before he could go back to the Island.

Offline spencer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »
I don't know.
Widmore's goal (I think) is to retake the island at the expense of everyone on it.
Mama Faraday wants to save the island.  She was reluctantly working with Ben to get the O6 back.
Charles did want Locke to go back, maybe another reason for helping MIB.
Charles may have gotten his deal with him.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

I'm trying to figure out how the journal would have helped him find the island again, especially after it's been moved.

I'm also trying to figure out how the journal got off the island to begin with lol.

Offline Lurker

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
My theory is that the journal contained a message from Jacob on how to find the island and when to start looking for it.  On a slightly different note, we saw the auction from one of Desmond's flashback-nose bleeding session.  Can we make the assumption that those were actual events? Just thought of this, maybe Desmond and those experiencing the nose bleeding-blackouts were actually seeing their alter universe life and not a memory of the universe they were in.  Just my two cents.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
It always seemed like Hawking and Widmore had some sort of knowledge of what would happen in the future.  For example, Widmore's men were waiting for Locke in Africa.  And Hawking has made numerous references to the future.  And when Desmond was shot, she said something like that for the first time she didn't know what was going to happen.

I don't know if it's from Daniel's journal and that it spelled all of these events out, or if they're doing time traveling of their own, or if there's some other reason.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
I think we're forgetting that this is the second time Widmore found the island.  Otherwise, how did the freighter know where to go?  Not that we know what he did to enable the freighter to reach the island, but whatever he did, I'm sure he could do it again to get his sub back there as well. 

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
It always seemed like Hawking and Widmore had some sort of knowledge of what would happen in the future.  For example, Widmore's men were waiting for Locke in Africa.  And Hawking has made numerous references to the future.  And when Desmond was shot, she said something like that for the first time she didn't know what was going to happen.

I don't know if it's from Daniel's journal and that it spelled all of these events out, or if they're doing time traveling of their own, or if there's some other reason.
I don't disagree that they know more than most re: the Island's whereabouts, but I don't think that Widmore's men were really waiting for Locke specifically.  I think Widmore had constant surveillance on that site.

I think we're forgetting that this is the second time Widmore found the island.  Otherwise, how did the freighter know where to go?  Not that we know what he did to enable the freighter to reach the island, but whatever he did, I'm sure he could do it again to get his sub back there as well. 
Good point, but the Island had moved since the freighter was there.  Who knows how far. ???  Either way, I think the Lampost had something to do with Widmore's return.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »

I have believed this right along.  She said that she knew everything up to that time. And they both sacrificed their children.
We are not done with them.

The Black Rock Journal was Hanso correct?  Hmmm connection to Jacob hummmm

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:20:20 AM »
Nope, he did it as a try to find, but since that happened in 1996 and he got to the island 11 years later, I'm pretty sure that the journal didn't helped that much.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:59 AM »
maybe he's just a slow reader

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »
It makes sense that Miss Hawking had something to do with Widmore finding the island, or at the very least Widmore used the Lamp Post station. My line of thinking into how the Lamp Post works is sort of a combination of Science and "Magic". Like, somehow the station can detect when the island is about to move (magic) and it is transferred somehow to the devices in the station (science) that allow the people there to go and find the island. Soooooooooooo, anyway...

I always thought that the Lamp Post could detect that Locke was about to turn the FDW, and that is how it was able to predict the location of the event window that allowed access to the island. Now Locke turning the FDW sent the island through time to 1974, and that was the event window. With the S5 Finale, Juliette blowing up the bomb sent the island through time to 2007 and that opened another event window. Yet again, somehow the Lamp Post was able to detect that the island was about to shift through time, and predicted the event window, so either Miss Hawking was there and told Widmore, or Widmore was there and just used the info to his own advantage.

Am I stating the blatantly obvious here??

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
It makes sense that Miss Hawking had something to do with Widmore finding the island, or at the very least Widmore used the Lamp Post station. My line of thinking into how the Lamp Post works is sort of a combination of Science and "Magic". Like, somehow the station can detect when the island is about to move (magic) and it is transferred somehow to the devices in the station (science) that allow the people there to go and find the island. Soooooooooooo, anyway...

I always thought that the Lamp Post could detect that Locke was about to turn the FDW, and that is how it was able to predict the location of the event window that allowed access to the island. Now Locke turning the FDW sent the island through time to 1974, and that was the event window. With the S5 Finale, Juliette blowing up the bomb sent the island through time to 2007 and that opened another event window. Yet again, somehow the Lamp Post was able to detect that the island was about to shift through time, and predicted the event window, so either Miss Hawking was there and told Widmore, or Widmore was there and just used the info to his own advantage.

Am I stating the blatantly obvious here??

Well, Widmore told Locke to find Mrs. Hawkings in LA.  So yes she would have had a connection.  He met up with her at the hospital and when she was giving her speach about the lampost, she could have been talking about Widmore, creating that I believe first Dharma station.  I mean it would fit he knew that island when he was there and he was always going to find it.