Author Topic: East India Company and the Black Rock?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
East India Company and the Black Rock?
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »
Ok, I looked up the East India Company on Wikipedia, and while there's no mention of them trading in slaves or in dynamite, I couldn't help but get the impression that Ben & Alex's Q&A about the East India Company was meant to be foreshadowing the Black Rock's origins.  Thoughts? 

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: East India Company and the Black Rock?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
that could very well be true. I don't think they would have a random scene there talking about it without it having some meaning. I know they started talking about the principal later on, but if that was the meat of the scene then why not cut the rest out and only talk about that.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
Because they needed to have a moment where Alex would be able to tell Ben about the Principle banging the drum slowly in the nurse's office. Seeing as how Ben is a history teacher, and things like the east india tea company tend to come up in high school history classes, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Besides, we already know that The Black Rock...

"...[lostpedia] set sail from Portsmouth, England on March 22, 1845, purportedly on a trading mission to the Kingdom of Siam (now known as Thailand)."

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Black_Rock

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
Because they needed to have a moment where Alex would be able to tell Ben about the Principle banging the drum slowly in the nurse's office. Seeing as how Ben is a history teacher, and things like the east india tea company tend to come up in high school history classes, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Besides, we already know that The Black Rock...

"...[lostpedia] set sail from Portsmouth, England on March 22, 1845, purportedly on a trading mission to the Kingdom of Siam (now known as Thailand)."

Ok, well, I'm not advocating that their mentioning the East India company is important, just saying that it could be.  I mean, the island of Elba could be talked about in history class too, but was it really an unintentional coincidence on the part of the writers that they were talking about Elba (or at least an island)? 

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
True, the writers had to sit down and write something.  But, could be important or just something one of their kids was studying in school

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:56:40 PM »

Ok, well, I'm not advocating that their mentioning the East India company is important, just saying that it could be.  I mean, the island of Elba could be talked about in history class too, but was it really an unintentional coincidence on the part of the writers that they were talking about Elba (or at least an island)? 

Well the Elba/napolean thing was deffinitely a mirror about Ben and the island, but the East india thing, I don't think it applies to the black rock, mainly because like I said, we already have been told about that. Now if there is some sort of connection, then I will totally eat my words, but it just seems like they needed that scene to explain the proncipal situation.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
BTW, which tri-color flag was that on the ship in the picture in the textbook?

Was the Black Rock an English ship?  I somehow thought it was Dutch or something else.  What nationality is "Hanso"?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »
Lostpedia says that the Black Rock is from the New World Sea Traders (fictional).  I'm sure it was just a nice tie in for the on island scenes to take place in part on the Black Rock.  The writers set it up nicely so we would get Alex and Ben interaction, a little eyebrow lift at the ship in the book, relating off island to on island, and the subplot of the Principal.  I almost forgot the slight backstory we got for off island Alex.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:21 PM »
East India Trading Co. is major in Pirates of the Carribbean. Maybe the Black Rock is the sister ship of the Black Pearl? It would connect the guyliner dots between Richard and Captain Jack Sparrow?

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
It sailed from Portsmouth England according to the auction in The Constant where Widmore bought the journal.

I always thought it was a British ship, but I guess it had a mixed crew. I don't buy Richard being British, but this is Lost.
I'd rather have him be an Egyptian, or even a pirate, than a sailor on the Blackrock.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
So Richard is "only" around 180 years old?  I would've guessed he was much older.  I can't imagine anyone in the 1840s shipping Mediterranean-looking slaves and transporting them to do what I'm guessing would be some sort of mining with all that dynamite.  I guess we'll find out soon enough in the Richard episode.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »
Ok, I looked up the East India Company on Wikipedia, and while there's no mention of them trading in slaves or in dynamite, I couldn't help but get the impression that Ben & Alex's Q&A about the East India Company was meant to be foreshadowing the Black Rock's origins.  Thoughts? 
Well Magno Hanso worked for them before he turned to illegal mining and slave-trading, since those were a lot more profitable, didn't he?

Offline LovDom

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
I think the boat in the book was Dutch, or at least it looks like my countries flag and we used to sail to that area a lot.
Dynamite is used for mining.
The Black Rock setting sail from England, I think I might be wrong, that England had occupied Egypt, so Richard could be from Egypt or thereabouts.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »
The flag on the boat in the book was the Dutch flag, but that boat was not the Black Rock.
Both Holland and England traded slaves and colonised.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »

Once again thanks for saving me the work.  How much do I owe you?