Author Topic: 1977 Incident didn't split the timelines?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: 1977 Incident didn't split the timelines?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
Absolutely - the result of the incident is the timeline where the nuke negates the energy, the swan is built, and 815 crashes. This is Jacob's manipulation to preserve the island. The flash-sideways is the ORIGINAL untampered-with timeline. No island. MIB's wet dream.
Let's clear that's your opinion, not a canon fact. And one that have several flaws, as the persons who set the bomb were from the alternative future, created by the bomb.

That doesn't matter, because in time 1977 comes before 2004. So even if they first went to 2004 to go to 1977 later, 1977 allready
happened in that timeline. Like Daniel allready was born when he went to 1977, but his mother is still pregnant. It's their present, but
the island's past.

Thats one of those time paradoxes though. Kinda like Richard giving the compass to Locke in 2007, then Locke going back in time to give the compass to Richard in 1954, then Richard giving the compass back to Locke in 2007, then....It's a paradox loop.

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out to see if the Losties not crashing in 2004 creates a paradox if they were still there in 1977.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
Everyone is assuming that the Darhma Island that Ben's father referred to was the actual same island that everyone is still on. Could have been a completely different island in that different timeline.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
Everyone is assuming that the Darhma Island that Ben's father referred to was the actual same island that everyone is still on. Could have been a completely different island in that different timeline.

LOL true. I was kinda annoyed at the Hydra satellite island, so I'm not sure how I'd react if there was a whole other special island worthy of Dharma. I might be kinda pissed, like if the show ended and it was all a dream that Jack had.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
Seems to me that everyone is missing the fact that before the bomb went off they tried to get everyone off the island.  The first people to go were woman and children. 

To me if your sending away all children.  You have to say hey this kid Ben is kind of a lose canon here so we have to send him away.  And look he doesnt have a mom so lets just send his dad with him.   

Very easy to understand if you ask me.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »
That was in the timeline where Farraday came from the future and warned Chang for the electromagnetic energy,
because his journal told him that it would destroy the island.
I don't think Farraday was there in the other timeline too.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
Seems to me that everyone is missing the fact that before the bomb went off they tried to get everyone off the island.  The first people to go were woman and children. 

To me if your sending away all children.  You have to say hey this kid Ben is kind of a lose canon here so we have to send him away.  And look he doesnt have a mom so lets just send his dad with him.  

Very easy to understand if you ask me.

No, you are totally right on the logic part, but I'm not 100% sure it happened. We see Roger Linus shooting Sayid, then Jack and Sayid speed away like a bat outta hell in the magical Dharma van. Then, before they get to the Swan, they are intercepted by Sawyer, Juliet, and Kate who escaped from the sub that had already left.

I'm not sure there was enough time for Roger to shoot Sayid, then get to the sub with Ben.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »
IIRC, the last time we saw Ben on the Island in 1977 was when Kate and Sawyer brought him to Richard, and Richard took him into the temple (or a little after that when Charles Widmore visited him after Richard brought him inside of the outer walls).  Ben presumably was to have returned back to Dharmaville somehow, so that he could grow up there and then play his part in the purge, but as of the time of the incident / jughead, he hadn't returned.

As for Roger Linus, the last time we saw him in 1977 was when he shot Sayid, which was during all the confusion over the evacuation that Pierre Chang initiated. 

So to me it seems like in one timeline (the one we know and love) the incident occurs, its bad but there's no nuclear blast in 1977, and the evacuees presumably return to the island.  In the other timeline, there was no incident, but the island somehow sinks after Ben and Roger leave for unknown reasons. 

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »
Why do people bring up the Butterfly Effect in a story that has made it a point to introduce the concept of Course Correction?
Sure, Eloise could be wrong or lying about that, but it's come up several times in the story as a foundation of this particular story's use of time travel. Course Correction = no Butterfly Effect. Quite the opposite, really.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
So I am not fully on board with the idea that Dimension X is the Original untampered timeline. I can see where it is plausible, and am keeping open to the idea, but I can't see how they move from here to the Loop's origin. I can see why people think the timelines may coordinate this way, but I fail to see now where the writers can go to get the Losties back on the Island now that it is obliterated in 2004. Because according to the theory that we are seeing what is essentially a flash back to the beginning of our story, the Losties we are seeing in the flash sideways' are going to eventually find their way to the island. Some have already been touched by Jacob, and if they haven't been touched by him we have to believe that he Travelled to them AFTER the point in time where he was killed by Ben. This Theory is nice when you look at the small picture of it, but I don't think the end game is going to be one where we can point to SO many things inherently wrong with the idea of it. Again I am not ruling it out, but I think the reveal is going to be far more concrete than that. One where we can point to IT as the answer to so many of our questions.