Author Topic: Damn, Richard!  (Read 11387 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Damn, Richard!
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:12:50 AM »
Richard was off his rocker tonight!
It was so good to see...

Perhaps he was just pissed off at Jacob when he said to Jack not to believe a word he says, Ricardo didn't actually mean it. His arrival at the Black Rock was so dramatic. His speech aboard sitting in the shadows was so dark and creepy. We always knew he was a complex character, but this takes it to a whole new level.

Perhaps he knew when Jack played Russian roulette with the dynamite and won, that Jack could be a candidate?
It certainly changed his attitude real quick.

Richard is always in the know, why should it ever change?
He knows Jacob is up to something and it's big!

Kudos Nestor kudos...

Offline Astriastar

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Damn, Richard!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »

Perhaps he was just pissed off at Jacob when he said to Jack not to believe a word he says, Ricardo didn't actually mean it.

Agreed.  I think he was just being petulant. 

I am extremely irritated with Jack and Hurley, though, for not pressing Richard harder for info before letting him go ahead and try to kill himself.  They were just fine and dandy with letting him take all that he knows with him to the afterlife.

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:40:13 AM »

Perhaps he was just pissed off at Jacob when he said to Jack not to believe a word he says, Ricardo didn't actually mean it.

I am extremely irritated with Jack and Hurley, though, for not pressing Richard harder for info before letting him go ahead and try to kill himself.  They were just fine and dandy with letting him take all that he knows with him to the afterlife.

I'm pretty sure Jack knew what was going on beforehand. Jack knew he wasn't going to let Richard kill himself. So he wasn't worried a bit. Hurley on the other hand...he was miles away.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »
Did Jacob touch Michael and give him a gift?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »

It was made pretty obvious I think that it was part of Jack's plan all along once Richard asked him to kill him with the dynamite. I don't think Jack ever thought Richard would end up dead so he wasn't thinking Richard would take "all that he knows with him" because Richard wasn't goin' nowhere lol. I actually loved that part with Jack, he impressed me with both his faith and his control of the situation.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »
Made me even hungrier for the upcoming Richard-centril episode!

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
Does this mean Richard is definitely from the Black Rock? He said he hadn't been back to see the ship his whole time on the island, and he looked at the chains which makes us think of MIB telling him something about last seeing him in chains. The thing is, I thought Richard was from further back in time. He does tell Jack that he has been "alive" longer than he could ever imagine.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »
he could be from ancient greece or ancient rome and still have been a prisoner on the black rock,
maybe put there by MIB himself

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
I was thinking that too.  I always thought he looked 'Egyptian' with the (they say it's natural!) guyliner, so I've been hoping for an ancient Egypt tie-in to go with the hatch symbols and all the writings and stuff.  When people started to theorize that he was from the Black Rock I thought that would be a disappointment, not far back enough to be overly impressive.  So the only way we can all be right is if he is from way way back (ancient Egypt) but got caught up as a slave on the Black Rock for awhile.  I wonder if they travelled off the island all the way back that far.  The only thing that tells me this is wrong is that in the first beach scene with Jacob and MIB, with the Black Rock offshore, it seemed like we were meant to feel as if they had been alone on the island for awhile.  Jacob was drawing 'new' people to the island, as MIB said, to try to 'prove him wrong' again and that it 'always ends the same'.  I guess there could have been followers there with him already, but it just didn't seem that way to me.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
Does this mean Richard is definitely from the Black Rock? He said he hadn't been back to see the ship his whole time on the island, and he looked at the chains which makes us think of MIB telling him something about last seeing him in chains. The thing is, I thought Richard was from further back in time. He does tell Jack that he has been "alive" longer than he could ever imagine.

he could be from ancient greece or ancient rome and still have been a prisoner on the black rock,
maybe put there by MIB himself

I was thinking that too.  I always thought he looked 'Egyptian' with the (they say it's natural!) guyliner, so I've been hoping for an ancient Egypt tie-in to go with the hatch symbols and all the writings and stuff.  When people started to theorize that he was from the Black Rock I thought that would be a disappointment, not far back enough to be overly impressive.  So the only way we can all be right is if he is from way way back (ancient Egypt) but got caught up as a slave on the Black Rock for awhile.  I wonder if they travelled off the island all the way back that far.  The only thing that tells me this is wrong is that in the first beach scene with Jacob and MIB, with the Black Rock offshore, it seemed like we were meant to feel as if they had been alone on the island for awhile.  Jacob was drawing 'new' people to the island, as MIB said, to try to 'prove him wrong' again and that it 'always ends the same'.  I guess there could have been followers there with him already, but it just didn't seem that way to me.

Guys, this is just one more of those things that I have been talking about that you can't look too deeply into with this season. They aren't making it too difficult for us here. When Locke said to Richard that he was "glad to see him out of those chains", they weren't talking metaphorically. BUT, for the people that were still on the fence, they show us this episode with Richard, standing in the Black Rock, looking at the manicles/shackles/CHAINS, and he says that he came her on the ship, and hasn't been back since. I really don't think TPTB can make it any more clear.

BUT, obviously there is a really good chance I'm wrong. We will all find out in 2 weeks when we get the Richard episode. I really would like to give you, and everyone else, a little piece of advice though. This kind of over thinking is the stuff that is going to make the series finale feel unfulfilling. Once you start imagining all this stuff weaved into the bare facts they have given us, you make it way more built up then it has to be. And because it's all your own creation, it will never be addressed, and then you will be pissed. Trust me, I've done it to myself a million times.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
yeah, we know he really was a slave and he really was on the ship
the thing we're responding to and wondering is if Richard was born in the 1800's or 1000's of years earlier

he could be egyptian from the time of the pyramids and have been given immortality from Jacob,
then MIB played a cruel joke and somehow orchestrated Richard's capture and selling into slavery 
the joke being, "yeah, you're immortal, but you're going to spend it all as a slave"

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm not buying that Richard would be on the Blackrock. It sure looks like he was, as Bob laid out all the reasons why we've seen for him being on the ship.

While Richard Alpert is an english name, (and the real Richard Alpert was from the States), Nestor is hispanic (Cuban/Catalan) and looks it. I can buy Spain or anywhere south and east of it. Maybe he was a pirate and was captured? Who knows.....
I am not an expert in 19th century shipping, but I thought most crewmen were from the port town of the ship.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
maybe his real name isn't Richard Alpert....
is there any historical significance to that name, I have never looked it up

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
yeah, we know he really was a slave and he really was on the ship
the thing we're responding to and wondering is if Richard was born in the 1800's or 1000's of years earlier

he could be egyptian from the time of the pyramids and have been given immortality from Jacob,
then MIB played a cruel joke and somehow orchestrated Richard's capture and selling into slavery 
the joke being, "yeah, you're immortal, but you're going to spend it all as a slave"

Yeah, this is what I was saying.  We have a Richard-centric episode coming up.  We already know he doesn't age because of a gift from Jacob's touch and he has been on the Black Rock before, but hasn't been 'back' on it since arriving on the island.  So if his entire story is that he was a slave on the ship and saved by Jacob who then made him immortal, then what do we need a whole episode for?  There must be something else to learn about him.

Also Ilana called him by his Latin name, maybe because the others speak Latin or maybe because his origins go back that far.

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

Richard Head seems APT right now...