Author Topic: Ben's Job or Church of Latter Day Saints Speech  (Read 6512 times)

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Ben's Job or Church of Latter Day Saints Speech
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
Real quick I don't want anyone thinking I am making fun of a Christian church here...I grew up Catholic

It just reminded me of those commercials

Ben says I watched my Daughter Alex die in front of me I had a chance to save her. But I choose the island over her.

ALL IN THE NAME OF JACOB...I sacreficed everything for him and he didn't even care. I stabbed him. I was Angry. Confused. I was terrified that I was going to loose my power. The only thing that I cared about was gone. I am sorry...I can never forgive myself

When asked where will you go? I will go to Locke he is the only one that will have me

I will have you.....

Powerfull stuff...We hear this a lot from those that have committed acts of sins, have problems or that have been involved in a some type of personal disaster...That God has forsaken them...That it is God's fault

I am not linking Jacob to God or the idea of God, but there is a connection here. In a way I see them as being chosen but I guess the idea is that it isn't a easy path to follow. That Jacob shows you the path it is up to you to decide if you want to follow and only the true. chosen one will replace Jacob.

Offline imcrazy0088

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Job or Church of Latter Day Saints Speech
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »
yaa i just posted something like this. my friend has been linking jacob to jesus or something of the sort. seeing as richards confused about his role with jacob, as well as linus and jack, its worth looking into

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »
Yeah, I like the idea of Jacob being like Jesus and other characters are now  like the apostles after Jesus was gone.

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:43:11 AM »
If I've invested 6 years in this show, and Jacob ends up being either Jesus or God, and this is all some big christian parable...I'm gonna be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.  :D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:59:45 AM »
If I've invested 6 years in this show, and Jacob ends up being either Jesus or God, and this is all some big christian parable...I'm gonna be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.  :D

I'm a Catholic myself, and I think it would be really weak to have Jacob end up being Jesus or God. At the same time, it is a common literary device to use Christ-like imagery or metaphors. But I think thats as far as they will go. This show isn't on the 700 Club.

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:34:22 AM »

I'm a Catholic myself, and I think it would be really weak to have Jacob end up being Jesus or God. At the same time, it is a common literary device to use Christ-like imagery or metaphors. But I think thats as far as they will go. This show isn't on the 700 Club.
Unless that's the biggest twist of them all. lol

Offline imcrazy0088

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »
oh noo, i dont want jacob to be jesus, thatd suck. i think this may just be a storytelling device or something. the chances of this being a lame allegory i think are very very low

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
I don't know about this. It is a good theory, but I don't think it's an ending that would be a real crowd pleaser-no offense meant. I don't think TPTB would take this path.

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
It doesn't have to be strictly Christian and literal, but the themes of good/evil, light/dark, yin/yang shine through.  A lot of the same themes flow through history, whether it's greek/egyptian/roman mythology, Christianity, or other religions.

Having said that, Ben seemed awful "Peter" on this episode, betraying and repenting.  And Richard was depairing, like Judas, willing to kill himself.  The theme is repentance vs depair. 

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
^ Been a few Doubting Thomases too.

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »
Again I am one not really buying into this whole Idea...I just thought that scene was a little out of character, so to speak of the show. I don't know really what to make of it.

I guess the idea is that with this whole show it's preception....

We think Jacob could be Good or Holy...and some of us say how? How can a good man let others die? How can a good man seemingly order the deaths of people or let them commit acts of violence in his name?

But that is what happens. I guess these questions will be answered when we realize exactly what Jacob and MIB really are?

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
I actually think TPTB have kind of copped out by having Jacob and MIB be demigods who have super-human powers over the lives of ordinary humans but also seem to have "human" foibles themselves in terms of how they have manipulated the lesser humans.

It lets the humans' "faith" in a higher power be "right", yet it's obvious that these two aren't The Creator, which is where monotheistic belief is anchored.

I've said elsewhere how offended I am at Ben's profession of his "love" for Alex.  He kidnapped her, for gosh sakes.  I have no sympathy for any "real" feelings he has about her.

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
I actually think TPTB have kind of copped out by having Jacob and MIB be demigods who have super-human powers over the lives of ordinary humans but also seem to have "human" foibles themselves in terms of how they have manipulated the lesser humans.

It lets the humans' "faith" in a higher power be "right", yet it's obvious that these two aren't The Creator, which is where monotheistic belief is anchored.

I've said elsewhere how offended I am at Ben's profession of his "love" for Alex.  He kidnapped her, for gosh sakes.  I have no sympathy for any "real" feelings he has about her.
But Ben kidnapped her from a crazy woman that had killed her entire team, and there was a good chance that she would kill Alex as well. And then he riased her on his own, I think Ben has every right to say he loved her.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
I get a little torn with the Alex issue because he was supposed to kill her and her mother and chose not to. Yes he did take her and raise her, but at least he didn't follow orders and kill her-then.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »

But Ben kidnapped her from a crazy woman that had killed her entire team, and there was a good chance that she would kill Alex as well. And then he riased her on his own, I think Ben has every right to say he loved her.
Right.  Ben was doing what he thought was right for Alex.  Whether that actually was right or not is up for debate, but not really the point.  There was nothing malicious about his motivation for kidnapping her.  He figured he was saving a life.  I donít think it is crazy at all to think that he can truly love her and I am certainly sympathetic to those feelings.