Author Topic: So who can kill whom?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
So who can kill whom?
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
Richard can't kill himself; Jacob said that MIB couldn't kill him . . . that a rule . . . who makes up these stupid rules?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: So who can kill whom?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:19:01 PM »
Bery good questions, I don't have any answers though:)

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
Richard can't kill himself; Jacob said that MIB couldn't kill him . . . that a rule . . . who makes up these stupid rules?
as I theorized a couple of weeks ago
only candidates can kill other candidates
We don't know if Richard may have been a candidate at one time, but we do know he was chosen by Richard to be his representative to the Others
this means Richard cannot kill himself or be killed by anyone else (except by MIB or another candidate)
this is why Richard knew Jack could kill him by setting off the dynamite, he knew Jack was a candidate

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:10:25 AM »
Man, I totally agree with that opinion.
Probably a stupid person makes them.

Offline Xentro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:50:03 AM »

Well if you look back into the story.

Locke was planning to hang himself, but because he's a candidate it's impossible to kill himself. At that time in the story it was convenient, that Ben killed him. an other reason is that he had to remain dead to become Flocke. Otherwise he would have killed himself and then revived and jumped on the ajira flight to the island (or something like that...).

Same with Jack and Richard, Jack is a candidate an Richard maybe was/is a candidate (Locke was touched too by Jacob, and became a candidate, like Richard told 'he was touched by Jacob')
So in that scene: Richard can't kill him self, so he asks Jack. However Jack is candidate and can't kill himself neither so the fuse just stopped burning.

What with smokey? he couldn't kill Jacob, but he also can't kill anyone of the candidates ...

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
I thought it was more than just "anyone touched by Jacob" can't kill themselves.  I though with Michael -- (was he touched by Jacob?  Didn't he have a number: 124-Dawson?) -- nobody could kill him before the Island was through with him.  Wasn't he mugged in an alley and the mugger's gun wouldn't fire?  And Tom said he couldn't even kill himself if he wanted to.

Now they're saying that (?exactly which people?  "candidates", anyone with a number?  where does that leave Richard?) can't kill themselves, but can be killed by others.  I get that Locke didn't actually kill himself, but did he try and fail like Michael did?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
Talking about killing...how come Flocke didn't kill Ilana when he talked to Ben...he didnt have a problem killing Bram...

Offline lamporium

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
I just assume they can't die until they fulfill their destiny.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
I thought it was more than just "anyone touched by Jacob" can't kill themselves.  I though with Michael -- (was he touched by Jacob?  Didn't he have a number: 124-Dawson?) -- nobody could kill him before the Island was through with him.  Wasn't he mugged in an alley and the mugger's gun wouldn't fire?  And Tom said he couldn't even kill himself if he wanted to.

Now they're saying that (?exactly which people?  "candidates", anyone with a number?  where does that leave Richard?) can't kill themselves, but can be killed by others.  I get that Locke didn't actually kill himself, but did he try and fail like Michael did?

I makes me sad to think that he rule is like this. So anyone we saw who had a number/was on the list and is now dead... the island was just done with them? Their purpose was served? So sad! Rousseau, Shannon, Juliet, Faraday, Charlie, Charlotte?  The island was just done with them? Sucks.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »
Another interesting thing about killing...well more about dying...would be in Exodus part1...Jack, Kate, Locke, Arzt and Hurley went to the BlackRock to get the dynamite...Arzt blew up, he wasnt touched by Jacob...Hurley could have died...but not around Kate, Jack and Locke, because they had been touched by Jacob in the past, Hurley didn't get touched until he got off the island, so the dynamite wouldnt have exploded...just a random thought I thought was cool...;D

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 06:50:22 AM »
Smokey/Locke said to Sawyer that he killed the temple folk because they would have killed him.  It was kill or be killed, and he didn't want to be killed.  So he can be killed, apparently by Jacob's followers.  And he can kill Jacob's followers.  But Sayid couldn't kill him.  Maybe there's a special way to do it.  Like a silver bullet for werewolves?  (I'm weak in the horror movie area.  It's werewolves, right?)