Author Topic: Widmore & the Black Rock Journal  (Read 4277 times)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Widmore & the Black Rock Journal
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 07:44:49 PM »
It makes sense that Miss Hawking had something to do with Widmore finding the island, or at the very least Widmore used the Lamp Post station. My line of thinking into how the Lamp Post works is sort of a combination of Science and "Magic". Like, somehow the station can detect when the island is about to move (magic) and it is transferred somehow to the devices in the station (science) that allow the people there to go and find the island. Soooooooooooo, anyway...

I always thought that the Lamp Post could detect that Locke was about to turn the FDW, and that is how it was able to predict the location of the event window that allowed access to the island. Now Locke turning the FDW sent the island through time to 1974, and that was the event window. With the S5 Finale, Juliette blowing up the bomb sent the island through time to 2007 and that opened another event window. Yet again, somehow the Lamp Post was able to detect that the island was about to shift through time, and predicted the event window, so either Miss Hawking was there and told Widmore, or Widmore was there and just used the info to his own advantage.

Am I stating the blatantly obvious here??
I'm not sure that the Lamp Post could predict these events so much as it could track them as Penny's arctic listening station did.  The Island's movements have a fair amount of predictability with or without nuclear bombs & frozen donkey wheels.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
It makes sense that Miss Hawking had something to do with Widmore finding the island, or at the very least Widmore used the Lamp Post station. My line of thinking into how the Lamp Post works is sort of a combination of Science and "Magic". Like, somehow the station can detect when the island is about to move (magic) and it is transferred somehow to the devices in the station (science) that allow the people there to go and find the island. Soooooooooooo, anyway...

I always thought that the Lamp Post could detect that Locke was about to turn the FDW, and that is how it was able to predict the location of the event window that allowed access to the island. Now Locke turning the FDW sent the island through time to 1974, and that was the event window. With the S5 Finale, Juliette blowing up the bomb sent the island through time to 2007 and that opened another event window. Yet again, somehow the Lamp Post was able to detect that the island was about to shift through time, and predicted the event window, so either Miss Hawking was there and told Widmore, or Widmore was there and just used the info to his own advantage.

I'm not sure that the Lamp Post could predict these events so much as it could track them as Penny's arctic listening station did.  The Island's movements have a fair amount of predictability with or without nuclear bombs & frozen donkey wheels.

Two things about what you're saying though PL, and you know how much I hate to disagree with you. First, we have already been told that the Lamp Post predicts where the island will be in time. This is how we know about the windows that allow access to the island. Second, if the station was tracking the island, then they would always be one step behind. I know the things I said are kind of ridiculous, but I didn't know how else to say them.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
& I would agree with you if I thought that the Island only moved as a result of donkey wheels & nuclear blasts! lol Whoever built the Lamp Post (which was...???) was able to predict time/location windows based on PAST movement. 

What else causes the Island to move?  Jacob? ???

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »

Two things about what you're saying though PL, and you know how much I hate to disagree with you. First, we have already been told that the Lamp Post predicts where the island will be in time. This is how we know about the windows that allow access to the island. Second, if the station was tracking the island, then they would always be one step behind. I know the things I said are kind of ridiculous, but I didn't know how else to say them.
By the way....I feel about 10 seconds away from a nosebleed, & a huge "OOOOOooHHHHhhhhh YEAH!"  I feel like I'm so close to understanding/agreeing with you, but I just can't wrap my mind around it right now! LOL

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »
Thanks PL, you saved me from having to read the thread, lol.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »
IIRC, the Lamp Post is built on a pocket of the same type of energy found on the Island - that's why somehow it can be used to find the island.

But what never got explained, as far as I can tell, is this - maybe Widmore knew the blue portal was at the frozen donkey wheel, but how did he ever figure out that the orange portal was in Tunisia?  (Yes, I have been playing the video game Portal lately).  Widmore himself left the island by boat, yet he seemed to know that people might suddenly appear in the middle of the desert in Tunesia - though I note it appears that he only had cameras there for Locke's arrival, not for Ben's earlier arrival, so did he figure this out in the interim?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »
The Vile Vortices theory explains & identifies about 20 locations with similar characteristics, so it seems that the LOSTiverse also has specific locations with the Casimir effect or special characteristics of some sort (Ayers Rock @ Uluru, the Lamp Post in LA, the Tunisian desert).

I think Widmore did see Ben arrive (& Ben knew he was being watched), which is why he hijacked the horse & got out of there as quickly as possible.  Locke's immobility kept him there until Widmore's men arrived.

(Wow....now that I posted that, I'm trying to remember Charles & Ben's midnight convo in London.  Did Widmore know that Ben was off the Island? ???  Off to the transcripts I go...)

Oh.  &...the cake is a lie. ;)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »
(Sorry for all the DP's in here! lol)

Widmore said to Ben in The Shape of Things to Come, "I wondered when you were gonna show up," so I think he did know.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 05:40:42 PM »
First, we have already been told that the Lamp Post predicts where the island will be in time.

I hear folks say this alot, and I'm always compelled to point out that Hawking said that, since the island is always moving, the Lamp Post allows them to predict where the island will be at a particular point in time. That's not the same as preditcing where in time it will be. It predicts where the island will be in space, at a chosen time. I'm not saying that the island's moving ability is not related to some sort of time distortion, but I don't believe that the Lamp Post will tell me "The island will be in 1974 in five minutes..." but rather "Through next Tuesday, the island will be in the South Pacific at piont x."

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »
Mrs Hawking seems to get a lot of info from Daniel's journal.  What else is in that journal? 

How does she know the Island isn't done with Desmond?  Does the journal tell her this?  Or is this something she just knows?

I also have to assume that they were able to build the lamppost from Daniels journal.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »
First, we have already been told that the Lamp Post predicts where the island will be in time.

I hear folks say this alot, and I'm always compelled to point out that Hawking said that, since the island is always moving, the Lamp Post allows them to predict where the island will be at a particular point in time. That's not the same as preditcing where in time it will be. It predicts where the island will be in space, at a chosen time. I'm not saying that the island's moving ability is not related to some sort of time distortion, but I don't believe that the Lamp Post will tell me "The island will be in 1974 in five minutes..." but rather "Through next Tuesday, the island will be in the South Pacific at piont x."

I don't see the difference, can you clear it up at all??