Author Topic: My Ultimate Theory  (Read 1660 times)

Offline miketrapasso

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
My Ultimate Theory
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
CAUTION:  I refer to spoilers in this theory, some of which are major.  Read at your own risk.

This is the first theory that I've formally written down, but the thought process that I had going while I came up with this was way too good to ignore.  I know the producers have said "no aliens" and that most people hate alien theories (including me), but I think if this is done the right way, it would be great.

I guess it doesn't HAVE to be aliens.  Aliens, humans from the future, extra-dimensional beings… whatever.  I'm going to call them aliens, but the only necessary characteristic for them, whatever they are, is that they possess immense power; they would rank as a Type III civilization on the Kardashev scale - they control the power of time and space itself.

Here we go.

These aliens (or whatever) are caretakers of the universe.  They're similar to the Monolith creators from Arthur C. Clarke's "Space Odyssey" series.  They either shepherd life along, or destroy it based on their potential.  Just like in Clarke's book, it's Earth's turn to be judged.  But two of the aliens disagree about humans.  One believes that they have the potential to be great, but the other thinks that they will always be evil, corrupt, and destructive.  The latter wins out, and a destructive device is placed on Earth which will open a black hole and swallow it up.  (Here is my first spoiler-proof: the four letter word, BOMB)  The one who believes in humanity, however, stops it by freezing it (much like Michael with the freighter bomb), and constructs the Island over it.  He proposes that the two of them conduct a sort of game in order to decide who is right.  So the rest of their people leave for a time and let things play out. 

As an interlude at this point, the fact that the Island exists above a highly advanced weapon explains all of the strange phenomena.  Whatever extremely advanced energy powers it creates a distortion in space-time around the Island, isolating it from the rest of the world, creates wells of energy like at the Orchid and Swan, and similar stuff.  Like the producers said, the reason why these things happen is going to be explained like the Force in "Star Wars."  We never learn what it is exactly, but we accept it as something that allows those characters to do crazy stuff.  It's the same thing here. 

Anyway… the two competing entities begin using their god-like powers to bring people to the Island.  Here is where the different civilizations represented on the Island come into play.  Over the years, Egyptians, Mayans, Greeks, Romans, etc., all get brought to the Island and leave their mark.  Two tribes form around the two entities.  This is when the filming with young Jacob/MiB comes into play.  There was a mention of two different villages.  This would be the two different tribes.  "Mother" from those spoilers is the good entity.  Now again, the flexible definition of "good" and "bad" comes in, because Mother kills Jacob/MiB's real mother.  This is because she knows her opponent plans on killing her, even though this is against the rules of their competition.  She takes the two boys and raises them as candidates for her replacement. 

Jacob sides with her and her people, but MiB is swayed by the dark entity.  Eventually, just like in the filming reports, Mother sends Jacob away, knowing that her end is near.  Before doing so, she gives him all of her power.  He leaves the village, and when he comes back, all of his people have been killed by the other tribe.  He is now the protector of the Island and is responsible for continuing the game in humanity's favor. 

Now here is where my theory gets a little weak.  I'm not sure how to work out the MiB situation.  The dark alien that I've been referring to is, of course, Smokey.  So how he and MiB become one and the same, I can't work out.  Maybe it's the same way that Jacob/Mother fuse, but even so, why would MiB want the destruction of humanity if he is a human?  Oh well… moving on.

Now Jacob and the Man in Black are in charge of the game to prove humanity's worth.  The rules are the same - they can't kill each other.  But of course, once again, Smokey breaks the rules.  And much like Mother, Jacob lets himself get killed.  This is because, you guessed it… he's already given his power away.  So who is this candidate?  I'm going to say Desmond or Locke.  I'm on the fence about them.  Or it's possible that none has been selected yet, but that the one who is chosen will have to do something to take up Jacob's power.

And now here we are.  MiB thinks he's won, and, as Jacob said, "they're coming."  I think this refers to people coming to the Island from the outside world, as well as the aliens coming back to see how things have played out.  And this is why MiB wants to go home.  He wants to go to his home planet/home dimension/home time, whatever.  And once his people get here, things will be wrapped up, and he can leave.  He doesn't realize that Jacob has a plan, however.  I think someone will do something that will redeem humanity in MiB's eyes, or something else will happen that causes him to change his mind and start caring again.  Maybe the part of the young MiB that is in him will remember what it's like to be human… there are a lot of possibilities. 

As for the ALT stuff, I really can't fit any of it in.  The best I can come up with is that it is the reward given to the Losties when all is said and done by the aliens, as a payment for what they had to go through.

I hope Darlton comes up with something a lot better than this, but on the off chance that they don't, I'm gonna go with this as the official explanation.  =) 

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: My Ultimate Theory
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
"Jacob sides with her and her people, but MiB is swayed by the dark entity.  Eventually, just like in the filming reports, Mother sends Jacob away, knowing that her end is near.  Before doing so, she gives him all of her power.  He leaves the village, and when he comes back, all of his people have been killed by the other tribe.  He is now the protector of the Island and is responsible for continuing the game in humanity's favor. "

i lean ont he side that the mother is the island like...