Author Topic: Whispers in dimension-X  (Read 1639 times)

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Whispers in dimension-X
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »
This is from the scene in the beginning of Sundown when Sayid visits Nadia and her husband. I've posted a video of the entire scene on YouTube with the whispers repeated at the end of the vid. The whispers occur just after Sayid's brother answers his cell phone and says "dinner is over, this is business, yes" and then the whispers appear to say "get that room tonight". Watching the scene a few times I'm thinking the whispers were for Nadia but that's debatable. ;-)

And I put a .wav file online too. You can get that here. It plays 6 times at increasing volume with the last one at half speed.

AFAIK this is the first time the whispers have been heard in dimension-X, which is intriguing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:26:47 AM by ericd543 »

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Whispers in dimension-X
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:59 AM »
I don't want to be Mr. Buzzkill, but it sounded to me like it was just the brother whispering on the phone. Maybe just not the best audio mixing in the world because it didn't have the same feel as the Island whispers.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:53:58 AM »
I'm not hearing "room tonight" but my hearing isn't all that acute.  I hear only "Get that" followed by two syllables, not three.  You're very sharp to have heard it at all.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:56 AM »
I don't want to be Mr. Buzzkill, but it sounded to me like it was just the brother whispering on the phone. Maybe just not the best audio mixing in the world because it didn't have the same feel as the Island whispers.

Great, now I'm hearing things! lol

I thought it might be the brother too. Ironically I thought it was the whispers because of the audio mix and the tone of voice in the sample. It does not have the same tenor as the brother on the cell phone, you can hear him talking from the other room right before the whispering, and the whispering part sounds like a hushed voice to me, but yeah, it's debatable.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:36:05 PM by ericd543 »

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
I'm not hearing "room tonight" but my hearing isn't all that acute.  I hear only "Get that" followed by two syllables, not three.  You're very sharp to have heard it at all.

I listened to it many times before I was satisfied with that translation but I could be wrong.  Check the .wav file as it has a sample where it's slowed down to half speed. I didn't include that in the YouTube vid because I made and posted the video first before I thought to slow it down.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:50:07 AM by ericd543 »

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sundown_transcript
sundowns script doesnt reveal anything as such

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Whisper_transcripts
and transcripts of whispers have none showing in season 6 yet...

but the whispers have sometimes taken weeks to show up... so this could be true...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:21:24 PM »
Nice audio work on that!  It sounded to me like the brother using a hushed voice on the phone since it is a shady business deal and he doesn't want his wife, kids, or brother to hear him.  That's my opinion though, I couldn't make out what was being said.  Good work on capturing that though.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »
I think what you've hit on is that the "dark" island forces have seeped into Sayid's life - no matter where he is - real island time or X world.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »
So you heard it? Please tell me you heard it. lol

The really interesting thing to me is that once I heard what the whispers were *cough*itstrue*cough* allegedly saying, it fit in with the obvious attraction between Sayid and Nadia. It represents, or could quite literally be, the path not taken. And of course we would expect the whispers to be talking to Sayid and not a relatively minor character. But it works into my theory that the infection is a collision/conflict of two timelines. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see our Losties loved ones drawn into the conflict.  Characters from another time and place even. Black Rock survivors, David Shepard, Desmond, Widmore... it's all in play at this point. The island is a magical place.

What are the whispers? Are they a person's own inner voice or something more sinister? If a little shoulder devil appeared next to Nadia and said "get that room tonight" it would be easier to understand, but of course Lost doesn't work that way. I'm willing to wait and see if this is confirmed in future episodes, but I am predicting that we will see more whispers in dimension-x.

Keep in mind this is from the guy who gave you vanilla cookies:D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:22:25 AM by ericd543 »