Author Topic: Backgammon (or Smokey And The Bandit)  (Read 3231 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Backgammon (or Smokey And The Bandit)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
I don't see how everyone being dead is a good life.
From the 360, only Miles, Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Desmond, Sun and Jin are alife and totally sc***** and Sayid and Claire are not sure.
The ultimate purpose of the story will be that they all live again and that mediocre is not that bad at all as long as Sayid has Nadia,
Locke has Helen, Sawyer has Juliet, juliet has her sister, because that is what gives life it's meaning.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
I don't see how everyone being dead is a good life.
From the 360, only Miles, Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Desmond, Sun and Jin are alife and totally sc***** and Sayid and Claire are not sure.
The ultimate purpose of the story will be that they all live again and that mediocre is not that bad at all as long as Sayid has Nadia,
Locke has Helen, Sawyer has Juliet, juliet has her sister, because that is what gives life it's meaning.

Mediocre is not that bad?!  Are you kidding me?!  That's what you think the climax of the past six years will be?  Sure, love gives life meaning, but is that how the story is going to end?  Helen tells Locke that she loves him even though he can't walk (she already has); David tells Jack that he sucked as a father, but he's doing better now (he already has);  Nadia tells Sayid that it's OK he tortured her and all those other people, he still deserves her?  I didn't realize we were watching an after-school special or made-for-tv movie.

This show has POWERFUL religious undertones and the basic belief throughout most of the world's different faiths (whether you follow any of them or not is up to you) is that there is a better life waiting for us after this one.  That's the whole purpose of the 'end of days'.  Death isn't the end, but a beginning.  The end of the world as we know it is what most of the faithful of the world are waiting for!  They have faith enough to believe that when that time finally comes, they will be saved and have eternal life. 

Nah, too sappy, mediocre is probably the key..........

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in Gods and devils or in afterlifes that are better than this one.
And for me death is definitly the end. Dead is dead. You have only one chance and you better make the best of it.

The people in Lost got a second chance, because they travelled in time, but it was worse than their mediocre lifes.
They almost all killed someone and they lost everybody.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in Gods and devils or in afterlifes that are better than this one.
And for me death is definitly the end. Dead is dead. You have only one chance and you better make the best of it.

The people in Lost got a second chance, because they travelled in time, but it was worse than their mediocre lifes.

I could tell by your posts that you were an atheist, which is why I said 'whether you follow any of them (religions) or not is up to you' in my last post.  I would never try to tell you that you're wrong because who am I to know?  I myself was raised Catholic and I now attend a different Christian church, not because I believe everything they have to say, but because I agree with what Jesus had to say about how to live and treat one another.  I don't follow all the 'rules' and rituals, but I go every week to reflect on how I'm living my life.  And let's face it, our mothers were right - a little guilt once in a while won't kill us!  My question to you is this: why do your theories about the story of 'Lost' have to agree with your personal beliefs?  You don't believe in life after death, so the writers of this fictitious story can't possibly be leaning that way, is that it?  You can't enjoy a tv show if it doesn't agree with what you believe in real life to be true?  Do you realize how much of this story so far has been 'impossible'?  Suspend your disbelief, at least for one hour a week in front of the tv, and you'll be amazed at the possibilities!

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
My question to you is this: why do your theories about the story of 'Lost' have to agree with your personal beliefs?

Talk about projection! Someone get Freud on the phone.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »

Well, you may not believe in it, which is totally fine. However, Hurley is able to talk to ghosts, so in the fictional Lost world, there is an afterlife.

Also, how do we know that the 815's still won't die at some point kinda like the Final Destination movies? If you avoid death 1 way, fate will still catch up with you. In the alternate timeline, it's still Sept. 2004, so Shannon, Eko, Ana Lucia, Charlie, Artz, Michael and everyone else still may die prematurely. We just havn't seen it yet.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
I was hinting toward the 'end of days' theory because I am still hoping they somehow fit the whole Hanso/Valenzetti storyline into the ending (although that is highly unlikely). If Valenzetti was right and you can change the end date if you mess with the numbers, and the only way to mess with the numbers of the equation is by means of the island, then maybe Jacob is trying to do fit in his own variables (Jack, Hurley and the other candidates) into this equation. And maybe he did allow Dharma to try and change it for a while, but grew tired of their faliures and ordered the Purge. So if MIB stops Jacob maybe it will all go away more sooner than later, and that's what MIB means by going home (some sort of Heaven? If there is no more life, there's no need for Hell, right?).
But this theory does not explain the flashsideways... unless MIB wins  ;D and the Apocalypse starts shortly after...

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »
My question to you is this: why do your theories about the story of 'Lost' have to agree with your personal beliefs?

Talk about projection! Someone get Freud on the phone.

You lost me (no pun intended).  ???  If you mean that I'm projecting MY beliefs into MY theories, that's not the case.  I didn't go into a long drawn out lecture in my last post, but I DON'T believe MOST of what the churches teach.  I go because I like the life lessons in what Jesus had to say.  I actually don't think of Jesus as God, but as just a prophet who had the right ideas about how to live your life.  I don't even believe in the virgin birth and resurrection which is the basis of Christianity.  I just always liked how Jesus came into the picture and told all the scholars that they can't go around treating their neighbors like crap and then slaughter a lamb to make it all go away.  He was ridiculed for 'eating with unclean hands' and with 'unclean people'.  His answer was that they needed to stop with all the rituals and start treating each other with love and respect.  I find it ironic that the churches have become exactly what the bible seems to say Jesus DIDN'T want, full of rules and restrictions and statues (false idols) that we are supposed to pray to.  And I love how after the money collection, the ushers take the basket up to the alter and raise it to the cross while the pastor is blessing the communion.  What's up with that?  (As a side note, if we're supposed to believe the bread and wine have ACTUALLY been physically transformed into the body and blood of Christ, another ritual, why are the communion wafers sometimes stale?)  Well, I put in my envelope like everyone else because I know where the money goes AFTER the service (my church holds regular meetings with the congregation and actually lets us vote on how it's run!).  I leave at the end, not thinking I'm a saint, but knowing that I'm imperfect like everyone else around me, and I take with me a little more peace of mind that helps me appreciate the good days and get through the bad ones.  And I'm confident that if there ever is a 'judgement day' (I don't claim to know that there is or isn't going to be), I may not pass with flying colors, but I won't go down in flames either!
OK, so enough sermonizing, isn't LOST a HELL of a good show?!   ;D

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 02:03:08 PM »

I could tell by your posts that you were an atheist, which is why I said 'whether you follow any of them (religions) or not is up to you' in my last post.  I would never try to tell you that you're wrong because who am I to know?  I myself was raised Catholic and I now attend a different Christian church, not because I believe everything they have to say, but because I agree with what Jesus had to say about how to live and treat one another.  I don't follow all the 'rules' and rituals, but I go every week to reflect on how I'm living my life.  And let's face it, our mothers were right - a little guilt once in a while won't kill us!  My question to you is this: why do your theories about the story of 'Lost' have to agree with your personal beliefs?  You don't believe in life after death, so the writers of this fictitious story can't possibly be leaning that way, is that it?  You can't enjoy a tv show if it doesn't agree with what you believe in real life to be true?  Do you realize how much of this story so far has been 'impossible'?  Suspend your disbelief, at least for one hour a week in front of the tv, and you'll be amazed at the possibilities!

My theories about Lost don't reflect my personal believes. I think Smoky is David's soul and I don't believe in souls. I don't believe people can talk to deads, I don't believe people can travel through time, I don't believe people can have eternal life. I don't believe anything I see in Lost, but I like the show. Especially because everyone sees what he wants. I don't understand why nobody sees what I see and you don't understand why I don't see what you see and we are watching the same show.
My theories are based on what I saw the last 5 years, timetravel, changing history and a lot of parent/child issues, free will that is manipulated, the importance of family/friends/love, the Dharma Initiative, cons.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »

My theories about Lost don't reflect my personal believes. I think Smoky is David's soul and I don't believe in souls. I don't believe people can talk to deads, I don't believe people can travel through time, I don't believe people can have eternal life. I don't believe anything I see in Lost, but I like the show. Especially because everyone sees what he wants. I don't understand why nobody sees what I see and you don't understand why I don't see what you see and we are watching the same show.
My theories are based on what I saw the last 5 years, timetravel, changing history and a lot of parent/child issues, free will that is manipulated, the importance of family/friends/love, the Dharma Initiative, cons.

We don't see what you see because life looks different through the eyes of a crazy person. Personal religions aside, your theories on the show are bat s*** crazy. Even when things come forth contrary to your theory you shuffle them aside. Smokey is David Shepherd? When do you think we are going to get this David Shepherd back story? They are going to need a lot more time than they have to give us that story. I can count 1 person that is going to be super pissed about the ending of this show.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »

We don't see what you see because life looks different through the eyes of a crazy person. Personal religions aside, your theories on the show are bat s*** crazy. Even when things come forth contrary to your theory you shuffle them aside. Smokey is David Shepherd? When do you think we are going to get this David Shepherd back story? They are going to need a lot more time than they have to give us that story. I can count 1 person that is going to be super pissed about the ending of this show.

You said what I was trying to say, but my proper Christian upbringing prevented me from being so direct......(heh, heh, heh, bats*** crazy, heh, heh)  :D  Damn, there I go again, is it almost Sunday yet?   ;D

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »
I_AM_JACOB - What is wrong with you?  Why are you leaving the most hate-filled replies on all the threads? Can't you enjoy the show, enjoy people's ideas and discuss them? Why do you have to put people down? Please be a little more respectful of others in the threads. If you only want to hear one opinion, talk to a mirror. Don't come into Sledgeweb.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »

Hey buddy. Shadenfruede is one thing, but personal attacks calling someone crazy takes it way too far.

I know I've had some wild theories (i.e. ATL Ben maybe being married to ATL Juliet) but this is the place to float all of our ideas. Besides, Lost often does some bat guano crazy stuff so I like that this is a place to air them out. For example, we've seen smoke monsters, time traveling, alternate timelines...the Lost story line is always unpredictable, which is the fun of it.

So, you may always be right about everything, but keep the personal insults to yourself. Nobody wants to hear them.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29:25 AM »

Hey buddy. Shadenfruede is one thing, but personal attacks calling someone crazy takes it way too far.

I know I've had some wild theories (i.e. ATL Ben maybe being married to ATL Juliet) but this is the place to float all of our ideas. Besides, Lost often does some bat guano crazy stuff so I like that this is a place to air them out. For example, we've seen smoke monsters, time traveling, alternate timelines...the Lost story line is always unpredictable, which is the fun of it.

So, you may always be right about everything, but keep the personal insults to yourself. Nobody wants to hear them.

Alright, so it seems some people came in at the wrong end of this, and for that I am sorry. I LOVE the floating of ideas and do plenty of it myself. Sorry if I came off as disrespectful, but I can get that way when people disregard other people's ideas in favor of their own. OPGE and I have discussed this at length before. I will be the first to say my thoughts and theories are incorrect if presented with evidence that contradicts them. In fact, I welcome that, because it helps me work out my own theories. Where I have a problem is when people are floating ideas around and someone comes in and says, "No its not that. Its This. And I can't believe you all don't see it too. What show are you watching? It's so obvious." I have theories, and I have made them known. If people disagree with me that's fine.  In fact, I can understand how people can see faults in my theories. I apologize to all the innocent bystanders that were offended by what I had to say, but I felt that the tone a poster used to defend their theory should be used when trying to refute it.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
I don't care if people disagree with me. I'm glad people are not all the same and have different ideas.
And I'm sorry if my tone is disturbing.
What show are you watching was in reaction of a comment of infared who said that I look the show on acid and that I am mad.
And I said that it is strange that we all watch the same show, but don't see the same things and that that is what I like about the show that we watch the same show, but don't see the same things and don't understand from each other how we can see different things watching exactly the same. Like 2 people looking at an apple and one seeing an orange and the other seeing a banana. I didn't say you have to agree.
Maybe I say things a bit in a strange way, because English is a foreign language for me.