Author Topic: My Jacob and MiB theory  (Read 4049 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: My Jacob and MiB theory
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
Oh my head is spinning...I don't care who's right, I just wanna see the ending!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »
So, the more I think about "Across The Sea", the more I think that none of the characters truly understands what is going on.

The Losties barely have an idea that Jacob and MiB are superhuman entities, but Jacob only cryptically gives guidance to Hurley and MiB is outright lying, telling each individual whatever they want to hear.
I am not sure superhuman is the correct term, but they are not the average bears.  Jacob had abilities but can die, so peraphs they are island powered.  I think that the Losties know that MIB is a liar look at James he didn't follow and Claire got a clue on.  Jacob is not cryptic he does with hold information and he told Hurley why he did with the lighthouse.  He does not like to tell folks what to do

The Others were under the leadership of Ben, who never even spoke to Jacob.  They didn't understand anything beyond "protect the Island" and interpreted that from their own corrupt perspective.  (Steal babies; terrorize and murder the ones who don't matter -- no problem, "We're the Good People.")
no they would not speak to Jacob because Richard was there to do that job.  Rewatch Ab Eterno and listen to job Richard accepts.  The most they would get from Jacob was a list.  Ben was a figurehead and that was it.  They stole one baby and that was Alex and Ben did that and it was not what Widmore wanted.  They needed to keep the island safe and protected and if they didn't do it smokey will

Richard never even knew Jacob was looking for candidates for his replacement.  He just blindly followed his boss' orders, believing it was all for the greater good.  But he spent years believing John Locke was special and wound up being duped into playing a pivotal role in his own boss' murder.
Richard was not hired to know what Jacob was doing he was there to keep the others in tact.  As for JL being special well he was after all.  It was part of the island plan

Now we see Jacob was just another man who got roped into being the Island's protector, but "the Island is a cork holding evil in its place" seems to be his own personal spin on the supernatural events he's witnessed.  We certainly didn't see any "proof" in "Across The Sea" that's actually what's going on.
I believe we did.  We know that his brother wants to leave and that Jacob over time may have been given additional inforamation on the events.
MiB now seems like a man who was turned into a Smoke Monster because his brother threw him into the Cave of Light.  Sure, that spat out his original human husk -- "The Devil stole my body" -- and gave him some supernatural powers, but his persona still thinks of himself as a man who just wants to get back to "home" to his people -- even though the Romans of Claudia's time are long gone.  If he secretly wants something beyond that, we weren't shown that, either.  Does he even know what will really happen if he does kill all the candidates and escape?  If so, we haven't been shown it.

At this point, the overall theme of this show is that Man is superstitious and invents magical meaning and purpose for the events he experiences that he doesn't fully understand; but if you pull back, everyone seems to be operating on false assumptions they've invented for themselves.

disagree

If Jacob and MiB are all-knowing, that's the opposite of what they just showed us.
who said they are all knowing that is the issue that certain assumptions were made of them being all knowing all powereful  It is similar to your point above operating on false assumptions

If Eloise and Charles are all-knowing, they haven't shown us that, either.  And, at this point, it would be in complete opposition to the one consistent theme TPTB seem to be going for.
the show is not over and Ellie and Charles knew more than they exposed for whatever reasons they chose not to expose is their choice.

honestly there is a lot there going on and we tend to be miopic withour views of the show

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »
Okay I get what you are saying here, but 2004 the plane lands so the sideways is what would have happened if they didn't crash.
If they didn't crash and were successful in stopping the future events then Jacob would not have touched them.  Which means that the lives we see in 2004 LA X landing means that is their life without Jacob touching them.

Theoretically MIB would still be "trapped" a Smokey (for sake of discussion) as we have yet to find out how and when he died.
--------------Well, we did find out and he is in Smokey forever.
So I can't see how the sideways is if MIB won.

From my view point MIB  "influencing" Claire, is more mind control to get her to do his bidding.  Because he could not do some things on his own. He uses what is dear to her hear to keep her under his influence.  Like a Svengali, he is preying on her most precious desire.  He said the same to Sayid.  And for James he wants to go home.  Will he deliver, well that is to be seen. 

-----------------------------And again to date death and destruction Sayid is dead,  Claire is MIA and he told Ben he wanted to destroy the island.  I am leaning on he is a liar.

Now yes, Jacob was helping Hurley get back to the island and "influenced" him also. Jacob's approach is less abrupt than MIB and well, he knows that the people he touched have something to do and he is making sure they are going to achieve that.  He also uses their "weaknesses" to get them to where they need to be.  I still say Locke was not dead when Jacob touched him.  But Jacobs light well helped him back to the live place.
-----------------------------Okay well now we know that he choose these folks because they were flawed/weaknesses and has given them free choice all along.  Even in the end with Jack as he choose to watch the island.

Both are charismatic in their own way and have the ability of getting people to things.  So correct basically both are using something they have, a power, to achieve goals that need to be done.   
------------------------ Both have agendas and both want to get something done.

Maybe they are mystical and have abilities, but I still think the Island has given them these abilities.
------------------------------ spot on here

I also agree about the little mysteries and not all being answered.  I think we have beaten some of these beyond the point of death.
----------------------------------- Well we have a few of these things answered like the donkey wheel and other minor details that helped flow this along

I still say that Jacob and MIB both have an agenda and will do what they need to do to achieve it and that is at the expense of human lives, both are responsible there.

---------------------And Jacob did admit he was responsible for his brothers current state
And when this ends it will be progress and they will come again and do the same thing they did before.

Good job Cowboy up, and I think this is most I have seen you write in several years.   ;D

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
I'm so glad I was wrong...if I would have figured it out I wouldnt be so happy...I'm glad I actually had a theory tho...