Author Topic: My Jacob and MiB theory  (Read 5236 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
My Jacob and MiB theory
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
I, by no means know it all...most of my theory is based on my take on things with the facts I think I've been shown...so here it goes..I posted this in another post earlier, and someone else said close to the same thing....

I think we get a clearer picture of what is going on...
Smocke/Flocke/Mib/Locke what ever you want to call him...wants to get home, we know that for a fact, where that is, is not important right now, I know to some it is, but for the big picture, it is NOT. OK so we know that part MiB wants to go home, he has also been making promises to a few so far, told, Sawyer don't you want to go home, Claire obviously wants Aaron back so we assume thats what he promised her, and now Sayid is promised to have Nadia in exchange for his help. Obviously his help was to kill Dogen and get in the temple, even that seems a bit unclear at the point, but it is what it is.
So lets change our thought for a second and think about the flash sideways. What's is going on in this world of what "would" have happened if the bomb went off and the plane had not crashed. What do we have?! No island and no Jacob! So in the flash sideways Jack seems to be having a pretty good life now with his son David, Claire seems to be wanting to keep Aaron, Kate is running like she likes(which is still kind iffy but thats all we got right now) and now Sayid seems to  get the relationship with Nadia that he wanted. So in essence, MiB won in the flash sideways. His promises fullfilled...our losties get what they want, or think they get what they want.
So back on the island MiB is promising the things we see in the flash sideways...but it's not over, we still have Jack and Hurley, maybe Sawyer(we don't know the effects MiB has had yet) Jacob still has a chance, maybe, or maybe this is where the two start to connect(time lines)...what would have happened and what is being promised by MiB...that's all I got at this point, thanks for reading...that was my little epiphany moment   

I often read and hear people say what's the point to Jacob, if all it is, is to self sustain himself...well, yes, that is the point...along with their purpose to help sustain Jacob, you could look at it as a viscious circle, I AM! to help Jacob so I can live to help Jacob, is there anything really wrong with that? or Do I have a happy life in the real world outside of the island...that's the choice, that's the perspective, seems simple and maybe it just is THAT simple...plus we havent seen yet if making the choice with MiB, even tho you get what you want, is the right decision...there may be a tougher harder consequence to getting what you want..opening pandoras box, so to speak, has consequences...

Aaaaand let me just say, about all the other mysteries...the ash, the donkey wheel, the healing pool...and any other mystery you just cant wrap your head around. It's a show!!! Did you expect an explanation of how the hyperdrive worked on Star Was, or the lightsaber? Or the Force for that matter? NO!! we don't need it, because thats part of what makes it great, its fiction and its just accepted in the story, just like the donkey wheel is just part of the island, it's there it works...the ash, yeah if we actually had some ash and a hyperdrive, oh what a wonderful place our world would be...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: My Jacob and MiB theory
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:51 PM »
I like this a lot because it makes me think of the sideways time line differently. I always pictured it as if Jacob never existed. Now I like this idea that the sideways time line is what happens if MIB wins.

Maybe the sideways timeline looks better now but we will see what happens.

Definitely gives me more to think about.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:42:27 AM »
Thanks Juggy, it's a work in progress LOL

also

I'm having an uncomfortable feeling about this infected, under the influence and claimed terminology...they can be used to describe it, but using other words too may make it sound "not so mystical"

Jacob seems to have "influenced" Hurley to take the case...Jacob told Locke, after he fell out of the window, "everything is going to be alright, I'm sorry this had to happen" and he touched him. Now does that give Locke some mystic power transfered, because he touched him? Or is it just that hope, that inspiration, the willingness to live further, because someone told you, "everything is going to be alright".
Now MiB seems to be infecting people...or is he just influencing them by his words and promises. Does Claire have to be possesed, or infected to believe she can get Aaron back? *

*ideas subject to change upon viewing next episode*

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
Well, if the two of us arrived independently at the same theory, we may be on to something. The bomb may have just brought them back, the island may be sunk because of something MIB did, and apparently MIB has kept his promises (which makes him a better guy than Jacob).

Promises kept (including my own speculation):
Claire - the chance to raise Aaron from the beginning
Jack - the joy of having a son
Sayid - Nadia being alive
Hurley - being lucky instead of unlucky
Kate - not so clear on this one, she is actually in a worse condition than before (she killed the wrong guy), but we still have time to see
Jin and Sun - well, maybe Sun or Jin die before they meet in 2007, so MIB promises the one left alive to reunite them
Sawyer - going back home, clean slate, maybe not killing that dude
etc.

And it makes sense for the flashforwards to be the result of MIB winning, since that would mean that they are the characters' resolutions.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »
Okay I get what you are saying here, but 2004 the plane lands so the sideways is what would have happened if they didn't crash.
If they didn't crash and were successful in stopping the future events then Jacob would not have touched them.  Which means that the lives we see in 2004 LA X landing means that is their life without Jacob touching them.

Theoretically MIB would still be "trapped" a Smokey (for sake of discussion) as we have yet to find out how and when he died.
So I can't see how the sideways is if MIB won.

From my view point MIB  "influencing" Claire, is more mind control to get her to do his bidding.  Because he could not do some things on his own. He uses what is dear to her hear to keep her under his influence.  Like a Svengali, he is preying on her most precious desire.  He said the same to Sayid.  And for James he wants to go home.  Will he deliver, well that is to be seen. 

Now yes, Jacob was helping Hurley get back to the island and "influenced" him also. Jacob's approach is less abrupt than MIB and well, he knows that the people he touched have something to do and he is making sure they are going to achieve that.  He also uses their "weaknesses" to get them to where they need to be.  I still say Locke was not dead when Jacob touched him.  But Jacobs light well helped him back to the live place.

Both are charismatic in their own way and have the ability of getting people to things.  So correct basically both are using something they have, a power, to achieve goals that need to be done.   

Maybe they are mystical and have abilities, but I still think the Island has given them these abilities.

I also agree about the little mysteries and not all being answered.  I think we have beaten some of these beyond the point of death.

I still say that Jacob and MIB both have an agenda and will do what they need to do to achieve it and that is at the expense of human lives, both are responsible there.
And when this ends it will be progress and they will come again and do the same thing they did before.

Good job Cowboy up, and I think this is most I have seen you write in several years.   ;D

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
We still don't know where or what MIB is in alternate 2004, so he may have escaped...

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
I like this theory too. I think too in the previous seasons the flashforwards and flashbacks were what life was like when Jacob touched them and the sideways timeline is when MIB influenced them. I am guessing that the timeline they end up with will bea result of either Jacob or MIB 'winning' or perhaps they will get a choice in which timeline they want to live in.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:39:45 AM »
But MIB didn't influence anyone.  He said to Sawyer you are here because at some point Jacob touched you. MIB was trapped he doens't bring people to the island or touch them.    Remember the conversation on the beach sets the stage for the challenges between these two.  And Dogen also stated that until Jacob was dead MIB was trapped.  So from how I have been seeing the story that MIB would not be someone who brought these folks here or would have touched them he had no reason.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »
Right, MIB never touched them but he is influencing them now. He is no longer trapped and able to get them to do things for him and their reward will be the sideways timeline.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
Maybe

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
I think the Alt/Flashsideways/etc is what MIB will offer everyone. It's the deal with the devil.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »
I think the Alt/Flashsideways/etc is what MIB will offer everyone. It's the deal with the devil.

Me too.  Each week seems to be bearing this out.

I'll amend nometicus' terrific list to include for Kate her freedom to be helpful and connect with someone. And I can't discount yet the fact that she encouraged Claire to have and keep Aaron - which although I can't explain it I think is a major act of heroism to the overarching story.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
I brought this idea up on the podcast this week, but I neglected to give credit to its originator.  Sorry, CowboyUp!  I didn't mean to steal your idea!  :D

But yes-  I like it!  & is MIB really "evil incarnate" when so many seem so happy/well adjusted?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »

Me too.  Each week seems to be bearing this out.

I'll amend nometicus' terrific list to include for Kate her freedom to be helpful and connect with someone. And I can't discount yet the fact that she encouraged Claire to have and keep Aaron - which although I can't explain it I think is a major act of heroism to the overarching story.
Awesome, I knew it was Kate some how too...yes, her freedom...it seems she may be actually innocent in the sideways flash...thanks LakLost!!!
I brought this idea up on the podcast this week, but I neglected to give credit to its originator.  Sorry, CowboyUp!  I didn't mean to steal your idea!  :D

But yes-  I like it!  & is MIB really "evil incarnate" when so many seem so happy/well adjusted?
Oh did you mention it in the podcast, I must have missed that ::) heehee thankies!!!  ;D

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
Your post makes me think...and I never thought I'd say this...but I'd really like to get another Kate episode!  I've got to know what her crime, or what is now seeming like a supposed crime, was!