Author Topic: Dogan's story  (Read 1067 times)

Offline pinknpurple

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Dogan's story
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »
Is it just me, or was Dogan's story about a pact with Jacob a little odd?  I don't recall Jacob making a pact with anyone else, the seems to be UnLocke/MIB's M.O.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Dogan's story
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:51:51 PM »
This reminded me alot of how Ben seduced Juliet into coming to the Island, almost identical circumstances, praying on a desperate person who he needed on the Island with the promise of saving a loved one.... very difficult decision to make.
However with Juliet I seem to remember it wasnt untill she was on the Island she was told she could see her sister again.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:17:37 PM »
I buy the story. Dogen was loayl to Jacob right to the end. Dogen was not just a run of the mill other. He was a big shot and the only thing that kept smokie out. He was a very important person to Jacob. Jacob needed Dogen, Dogen owed Jacob for his son's life.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »
His story made sense to me.

Compare the "deals" that Sayid and Dogen made respectively with each side:
Dogen sacrificed his life and seeing his son grow up so his son could live: unselfish = good
Sayid made a deal to see Nadia again: selfish = bad

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:38:09 AM »
I have this theory that the Others got manipulated into following Jacob when they really should be following MIB. It would explain why MIB was "very disappointed" in all of them. Maybe MIB initially recruited Dogen, but Jacob got him to go traitor (maybe MIB lied and his son wasn't really saved or something). Maybe that's why MIB couldn't go in when Dogen was alive, being an agent of MIB maybe meant Dogen can kill MIB (ala Ben with Jacob). Maybe that's why Dogen sent Sayid to stab MIB, believing Sayid being an agent of MIB can kill MIB.

But then again, I can't see why MIB would force Dogen to stay away from his kid....after all MIB wants to go home too. So putting Dogen in that position wouldn't make sense. It actually makes more sense of Jacob doing that to Dogen, as Jacob seems to believe in the sacrifice for duty thing.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
I'm wondering if Ilana made some sort of deal with Jacob.  We first saw her encounter with Jacob when she was all bandaged up in a hospital bed.  Jacob asks for her help and she says yes.  I'm thinking he must have done some sort of healing since the Ilana we know now doesn't show any scars or sings of damage.  However...she seemed like she had known him pretty well and for a long time.  Perhaps she is some sort of off island version of Richard?