Author Topic: Count Ibli and Unlocke  (Read 955 times)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Count Ibli and Unlocke
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
The original Battlestar Galactica of the 1980s had a long arc with a character called Count Ibli (played by the great actor Patrick McNee).  He was very nice and charming, a very smooth liar, promising Apollo's girlfriend all sorts of things if she would follow him.  Apollo and Starbuck (Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict) realized that something about this guy was not quite right.  Apollo confronted him and Count Ibli's eyes turned red, his face became a grey skull-like mask, and he took Apollo.  Lo and behold, some white lights came down, and turned out to be angels who told Ibli that he could not kill Apollo because he had not gone over to Ibli of his own free will.  Apollo was brought back to life.  What's my point?  When Locke was talking to Seyid, I was waiting for his eyes to grow.  I was thinking of Count Ibli, who was...duh!...the devil!   And Seyid freely did the Devil's bidding.  Now, the angels in our little Battlestar Galactica comparison were good and pure.  Jacob is not, nor was God in the Old Testament.  Jacob, to get his candidates to the Island, had a bunch of people killed in a plane crash.  He allowed Nadia to be hit by a bus so he touch Seyid, and, probably, didn't want Nadia in the way.  Yet, for some reason, Jacob has Dharma come to the Island, then uses Ben and Richard to kill them all.  He never asks about Free Will.  In fact, if we go by the comments made by Jack in the Lighthouse, everything that Jack has ever done has been manipulated by Jacob to lead him to the Island.  Unlocke will not take anybody unless they agree to go with him -- unlike Jacob, he seems concerned about Free Will -- interesting contradiction.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Count Ibli and Unlocke
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:41 PM »
Its been a while since I've seen the original BSG, but I thought Ibli's eyes turned red because he was somehow related to the original cylcons (the alien race who had built the robots that battle the humans during much of the series).  So, IIRC, he wasn't the devil, exactly, though the Cylons on the show were the enemy, and being an original cylon didn't put him in much better standing than the devil himself.

Also, Jacob does talk of free will, at least somewhat.  In the taxi with Hurley, he told him he had a choice.  He also told Ben that he had a choice, right before Ben knifed him.

Both Smokey AND Jacob are manipulators.  I mean, Smokey manipulated tons of stuff to get things to the point where he could get into the statue with Ben, and where Ben would be P.O.'d at Jacob enough to want to kill him. 

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
I asked on another thread 'who is the good guy?' :

Jacob who will save your son if you come to his Island..... but you never see your son again.
MiB who says 'join me by sundown or die'.

Free will, but not alot of choice.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »
Its been a while since I've seen the original BSG, but I thought Ibli's eyes turned red because he was somehow related to the original cylcons (the alien race who had built the robots that battle the humans during much of the series).  So, IIRC, he wasn't the devil, exactly, though the Cylons on the show were the enemy, and being an original cylon didn't put him in much better standing than the devil himself.

Also, Jacob does talk of free will, at least somewhat.  In the taxi with Hurley, he told him he had a choice.  He also told Ben that he had a choice, right before Ben knifed him.

Both Smokey AND Jacob are manipulators.  I mean, Smokey manipulated tons of stuff to get things to the point where he could get into the statue with Ben, and where Ben would be P.O.'d at Jacob enough to want to kill him. 

No Ibli was the devil and took Apollo  without his free will hence the appearance of the angels and bring Apolllo back to life.

Between this and The Twilight Zone Monsters On Maple Street and tons of SCI FI books I have read, Iam disappointed by the cliche ending it appears to be going.

Yes Jacob is not pure and also a manipulator.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
I thought Ibli was a cylon because I recall Baltar recognizing his voice as that of the Cylon Imperious Leader.

Oh well, like I said, haven't see it in years.

By your command...