Author Topic: Why does MIB want the people in the Temple?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Angus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Why does MIB want the people in the Temple?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »
Might be, but Jacob has never directly killed people that I am aware of for not doing what he wants.  The way Smokie/MIB just ran through the Temple killing everyone who didn't heed his warning makes me think he is the worst of the two.  I agree that MIB would rather just leave people alone and not bring them to the island but I think it is because MIB thinks there is no discussion- people are not worthy of getting the opportunity to prove themselves decent in his eyes.  Jacob seems to think if you put people in the right situation, they will do the right thing even if it brings them a little heartache.  Dogan and Juliet had to sacrifice them never seeing their loved ones again, but their loved ones lived.  Dogan and Juliet made selfless decisions that, although they would never see their loved ones again, their loved ones would live.  MIB had Claire and Sayid make selfish decisions, knowing they would get what they wanted but innocent people would die.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »
Smokey kills only after he judges. Those people knew what was coming to them and they didn't act.
Jacob kills if his plan is better served this way (Nadia is a very good example).

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
I agree that neither MIB or Jacob are good or evil, but their game is to prove a point about humanity.  Jacob feels humans are inherently good, while MIB feels we are weak and will do whatever it takes to survive. 

I think it is the contrary. MIB wants to kill Jacob, because he manipulates people, he brings them to the island, changes their destiny and
make them kill and destroy to survive. On the beach, Jacob did it again. And MIB hates him for it. He asks why he does it everytime again. What the goal is. MIB thinks that they are inerhently good, but Jacob makes them bad, because
he puts them in a position where they have to choose things like I will save your son, but you will have to go to the island, can never see him again and you have to kill people if I tell you to or I will cure your sister's cancer, but you will have to stay on that island and steal some pregnant women or I will send you and your kid home, but you have to kill Ana Lucia and Libby and bring me Jack, Kate and Sawyer.

Jacob plays with people and knows they are weak and do whatever it takes to save a beloved one, he sees progress in his games and will only stop if he dies. It only ends once.

I think you might want to look at your reasoning again and polish it up. Jacob never told Michael to kill anyone, no one ever told Michael to kill anybody.

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »
I'm curious how much Jacob really instructed them to do. Ben never directly spoke with Jacob, but apparently carried out orders from him. How were these orders delivered? Richard? Or, was Jacob the crutch? I mean, think today, plenty of people say they're doing things for God, but are they really? It's not like they're receiving direct orders from the Almighty, but they may very well believe they're doing his work.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »
I'm curious how much Jacob really instructed them to do. Ben never directly spoke with Jacob, but apparently carried out orders from him. How were these orders delivered? Richard? Or, was Jacob the crutch? I mean, think today, plenty of people say they're doing things for God, but are they really? It's not like they're receiving direct orders from the Almighty, but they may very well believe they're doing his work.

I assume it had to be Richard acting as the go between, but at that point, some things start to fall apart.

Like, okay, Ben never talked to or even saw Jacob, but knew where the cabin was, so who/what did he think was going on in there??

Did Ben know that Jacob lived in the foot on the beach and was just taking Locke to the cabin to throw him off??
OR
Did Ben just know that the foot was there, not realizing that it was actually Jacob's hideout?? Because if the latter is true, then that takes us right back to what he thought was going on inside the cabin.

I guess it all hinges on whether or not Ben knew Jacob actually lived in the foot or not, which as far as I can remember, he doesn't.