Author Topic: Why does MIB want the people in the Temple?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Why does MIB want the people in the Temple?
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »
It would seem that we are so focused with what the MIB needs with our Losties that we may have overlooked.  It seems that the people in the temple might be a large part of the end game for the MIB.  It seems that the Others were very intent on protecting specific members when they crashed on the Island.  Maybe we haven't put enough stock into what the significance these people have to the plot. 

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Why does MIB want the people in the Temple?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:41:34 PM »
Maybe, and this is a big maybe, but maybe both MIB and Jacob can't reach the end game on their own accord, and they need the people to do the leg work. The best/easiest/least confusing way to think about it is that when they were following Jacob, they were exactly that, loyal followers. But when MIB takes them under his wing, they are essentially the same thing, but instead are trusty minions. I always liked those two words, because when you think about it, they are almost the same thing, they just have different intentions behind them. One is good, and the other is evil.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
I was a little surprised so many of them took all of two seconds to ditch the temple and go jungle trotting with the baddie who killed all of their bunkmates of the last 3 years.  MIB sounded very misleading, if i remember right he said they were going to leave the island and he never much mentioned a purpose for the group.  You'd think these goons would be a bit more enlightened after living in a healy-temple for pete's sake.

Offline greetr

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »
hi, this is only my second post, but i was thinking. are we SURE Jacob is good and MIB is bad? The reason i say this is one of those ties back to biblical times....the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.
I'm thinking of when Sayiid came back to the temple with his "message". Leave by sundown or you will all die. and those who left are still alive and those who stayed were killed.
the others were always sorting people into "good" and "bad". but what if we actually have it in reverse

Who knows, i can't wait for the end but i'll be sad for it to be over....

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
Ive been a big believer that MiB is good and Jacob is Evil since we first met them but recently Im waivering towards them both being bad or just 2 players in a game that will do anything to win.
If it wasnt the constant message of 'good vs evil' that TPTB keep throwing at us I would be more inclined to believe that we are watching some kind of game being played out, when rules come into play the old adage that rules are there to be broken springs to mind.
However I do feel there must be a good and a bad, and my opinion is still that of Jacob is bad, wrecking peoples lives for his own gain while the MiB does actually seem willing to help anyone who trusts him........

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
If you remember... the tail-section people were kidnapped and forced to live there...  They probably want to go home and see their families too... I'm sure their loyal was to whomever would keep them alive...

Offline lostcause

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
There's no reason as yet to think either of these sides as good/evil. They both kill everything in there way. It seems they are in need of humans to do the grunt work, to what end who knows? Only those who write the show to it's conclusion.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
It's been said a million times on here, so I guess make this a million and one. God and Bad are all relative. The nazis probably thought they were the good guys too.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:15 AM »
I don't think Unlocke need people dead or alive. The more I see, the more it looks he needs people OUT of island. Either by death or travel, he wants the island clean of humans.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »
its a game
he's capturing pieces

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:43:28 AM »
its a game
he's capturing pieces
That's what I was going to say; he's collecting his pawns.

Offline Angus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
I agree that neither MIB or Jacob are good or evil, but their game is to prove a point about humanity.  Jacob feels humans are inherently good, while MIB feels we are weak and will do whatever it takes to survive.  Jacob seems to put humans in situations where they are tested as to what they will do and let them prove themselves without his further manipulation.  While it seems MIB takes a more active role in getting humans to do what he expects them to do.  He outright lies to Claire about where her baby is and to Sayid about getting Nadia back in order to get them to do bad things.  But Jacob takes less direct ways to influence people to do what he expects of them.  He probably could have shown himself directly to Jack and lied to him to get him to do what he wanted instead of having Hurley bring him to the lighthouse and letting him figure out his next move while staring out at the ocean.  It's like following Jacob is following blind faith- knowing that what you are doing is right without having the direct reassurance of God telling you it is right.  I found it very telling when MIB came out of the Statue and knocked out Richard and said to everyone else "I'm very disappointed in all of you".  It made him seem like a vengeful God, that judges others based on their weakest moments.  Jacob might not be all good, but I feel he is going to make the point that inherently Man is good while MIB is out to prove Man is weak and will follow whichever God will save their tail even if it means condemning their fellow man.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »
i am really naffed off that we have note been given a name for him yet.

Offline Angus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
The name thing gets me too, there has to be some twist coming regarding his name

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
I agree that neither MIB or Jacob are good or evil, but their game is to prove a point about humanity.  Jacob feels humans are inherently good, while MIB feels we are weak and will do whatever it takes to survive. 

I think it is the contrary. MIB wants to kill Jacob, because he manipulates people, he brings them to the island, changes their destiny and
make them kill and destroy to survive. On the beach, Jacob did it again. And MIB hates him for it. He asks why he does it everytime again. What the goal is. MIB thinks that they are inerhently good, but Jacob makes them bad, because
he puts them in a position where they have to choose things like I will save your son, but you will have to go to the island, can never see him again and you have to kill people if I tell you to or I will cure your sister's cancer, but you will have to stay on that island and steal some pregnant women or I will send you and your kid home, but you have to kill Ana Lucia and Libby and bring me Jack, Kate and Sawyer.

Jacob plays with people and knows they are weak and do whatever it takes to save a beloved one, he sees progress in his games and will only stop if he dies. It only ends once.