Author Topic: MIB is the winner  (Read 3505 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: MIB is the winner
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »
Just a complete village.

But that's it.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »
I said this in another post, but I think we're close to getting one BIG answer to the questions "who wins the war between Jacob and MIB?" and "what are the flashsideways"?

In the flashsideways, the island is buried underground, but the world still goes on, negating the importance Jacob has put on protecting the island. So we know that Jacob is wrong. The world may not be better without the island, but it's obviously not worse. Now, how can the flashsideways world be connected to the big war? Simple. What we see in the alternate time is what happens if MIB wins. The island is gone, Jacob isn't there to influence the Others' lives anymore, Sayid gets what he is promised (Nadia alive) and so on. It is a remodelled world without Jacob, and guess what, it's not a disaster!Now you ask me how did MIB manage to sink the island and negate all the on-island Lostie experience? Well, he may have used the donkey wheel, or even the numbers in a way, who knows? But the point is, he is not evil, just a man who wants to go home.

I had something similar to this in another thread...it was so blindingly obvious..I had to do a double take in my head LOL

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »
What I'm wondering about is the 'good vs. evil' theme.  They have portrayed MIB as evil to a degree that I don't believe they can turn it around and say he is the good guy.  I mean, the good guys don't kill everyone who disagrees with them.  But on the other hand, Jacob has also come off as a real ass at times also.  Offering to save Dogen's son if he leaves him behind forever sounds like a 'deal with the devil' to me.  Could it be that they are both evil and we have yet to meet the hero of the story?

I'm not convinced that the MIB wins.

I'm with you on this one....it's too early for the MIB to break out the bubbly!

Actually "good guys" kill people who don't agree with them all the time. Read a history book.  The Allies really hated those Nazis. They just had different ideas about how the world should be. Bam. Dead.  I'm sure we can all come up with many more examples.  Flippin' radical Muslim extremists.  They just want everyone to behave according to their holy book. The world would be peaceful if they did. But the damn Westerners won't comply so they are undertaking what we call terrorist acts. So what do the Western "good guys" do? Kill them. And that's OK with us isn't it?

Whoa, I didn't mean to open up that can of worms!!! 

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
Whoa, I didn't mean to open up that can of worms!!! 

No can of worm open here. I just think it's important to realize that everyone thinks of themselves as the good guys.  Political parties are always saying the other side is crazy or stupid, but they want the same thing (the best for the country), but have different ideas of what that is exactly and how to get it.

And outside of learning life lessons here, I honestly think that is one of the main points of the show. No good or bad - just "different."  Or "the other."

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
I honestly think that is one of the main points of the show. No good or bad - just "different."  Or "the other."

True, that is probably one of the points they want to make with regard to the characters.  Everyone has some good and bad in them.  But I think Jacob and the MIB will be more defined in the end as either 'good' or 'bad'.  I don't think they are going to be two shades of gray.  I actually have no actual knowledge of this, it's just how I expect it to play out.  I'm thinking along the lines of Stephen King's 'The Stand' and I'm certainly not the first person to be reminded of that story here.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »
The writers did say that The Stand was a major influence, and the whole recruiting business seems to be hinting, towards the same story, and yet Randall Flagg was the kind of guy who stirred trouble everywhere he went, putting one group of people against the other,  but MIB never wanted anything to do with people, and Jacob apparently forced him to be a manipulator. And his purpose does not seem to be to create chaos, just to leave the island.